mrwrstory

It's a faux Poly.  Underneath the valve covers is a Chebby.  The valve covers get a lot of looks and head scratching.  Much more attention than a Chev.  Everyone with a Deuce Roadster has a 350 in it.

yikes,,,what  a  waiste  of  kool valve  covers  lol,,,the  ram  manifolds should of gave it away but  i was  stareing at the valve covers,,,wish  i had  an  early  poly  just  sitting,,,

yikes,,,what  a  waiste  of  kool valve  covers  lol,,,the  ram  manifolds should of gave it away but  i was  stareing at the valve covers,,,wish  i had  an  early  poly  just  sitting,,,

...ya know...that could be arranged....... :P

How did you accomplish reverse the steering box?

Check the first two pics in my March 23, post.  Here are a few more.

The pic below shows the stock box.  The splined "input" shaft is barely visible on the right.  There is a plug at the opposite end (common to many steering boxes), highlighted with a red dot, that get's punched out.

IMG_1134_zpslq0ss1iq.jpg

-

The pic below shows the input shaft and recirculating ball assembly in their stock relationship to the case.  You just flip it over and stick it back in so's the input spline now exits the case where the plug(w/red spot) was.

IMG_1136_zpsubcyqp3k.jpg

-

IMG_1137_zpsvwe8qkch.jpg

-

IMG_1146_zpsgt8c3tnq.jpg

-

And plug the whole where the input shaft originally exited the box,........

IMG_1154_zpsh8qgsq4s.jpg

-

there is a little more involved than I have stated but, not much.   All bearings required for this particular project were already in place.  I just needed to source (or make) the input shaft seal and install the cup-plug shown above.

I just Googled "reversing steering boxes" and there's a ton of stuff there.

It's not rocket science and a very satisfying project.

Edited by mrwrstory

And before I got so long winded with the response to LODI3QTR's question, I was planning to share the latest milestone in the Cowl Steering chapter.  

On Sat. (while the wife was away) I did a little BBQing.

Img_1338_zpsxrtic0sw.jpg

'

As mentioned earlier, I am intrigued with the coloring that comes with welding and heat on steel, and have decided to try to capture/embellish that as a theme for the Hemi Build project.  To protect the new bare metal from corrosion VHT High Temp Satin Clear was used.  They say it's good for exhaust systems.  Has a nice low luster finish.  It requires baking (either on or off the car),....thus the BBQ.

Img_1339_zpsqvolbh46.jpg

Add some Worchestershire Sauce, a little red wine and serve with a Hemi @ 325 cu.in.

• Like 2

I just Googled "reversing steering boxes" and there's a ton of stuff there.

It's not rocket science and a very satisfying project.

Thanks for the information.... Edited by LODI3QTR

did  i  hear  rides ??  in a hemi rod ???  bill what  happened to the  vw  tail housing for a blister ???  like that  36  in front  of you,,congrats on  250  miles,,

'Tho it triggered the vision, the VW part turned out to be too large and required too much work.  So, I made something similar and that was a pretty easy and satisfying project.

Congratulations on a successful run. You'll have to bring it to one of our So Cal gatherings, once the "other" motor is in.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been snoozin!  So,..back to the "Hemi Build".

​Along with the cowl steering that I've always imagined, I'm also intrigued with the idea of 180 degree headers.  Therefore to the next project I have inflicted upon myself.  And to those who may ask "why",...as in the case of the steering modification,....just because I like the looks and/or because I like the challenge of doing something I've never done before and maybe also because it's a little "off the wall"  :o

I scored some scrap steel,.... 46# for $9.00 to build this header fabrication stand.

IMG_1362_zpsdzkh2ctp.jpg

-

Figgered I need to get the engine up to a good working height.  Got four primaries running under the pan.  Also decided that if I can get the headers roughed in on this stand, I can still drive the car for a few more weeks before pulling the old engine.

IMG_1373_zpswvk3mihb.jpg

-

IMG_1388_zps6kyfk0j1.jpg

-

This is the beginnings of the flanges for the four pipes that traverse beneath the engine.  The plan is they will facilitate a "drop-out" to accommodate dropping the pan and/or pulling the starter.

IMG_1394_zpscqyerinm.jpg

Bill,

Interesting idea about the drop out for pulling the pan. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hey Bill, anything special about the hole saw you used to cut the flanges??

Not really.  Local hardware store.  I was encouraged to do that from my young friend Mike who advised, "turn it as slow as your drill will go."

I thought I was pretty smart by anticipating I'd need another saw before all the holes were done.   So, I bought a second and began alternating in order to give each saw a rest.  Problem is,.....I discovered that the saws are not real precise.  The second one gave me holes @ 1.620/1.630.  The original one got me holes @ 1.630/1.645.  Not a big diff. if you're doing carpentry.  But that diff. means my so called 1-5/8" tube does not fit into some of the holes.

Gotta figger how to enlarge some holes by .010/.020 or shrink the tube by that amount.  :angry: 

Edited by mrwrstory

Think I might choose to use a round flapper sanding wheel in my die grinder.

Available at most industrial supply houses- Grainger carries them, maybe even HF.

I would buy 1 3/4" outside dia. wheels with a light oil off and on  and you just quash them down with your hand to start them as they do wear down quickly.

Nice start on the flanges!  :)

"Honey, I shrunk the tubes!"

Got to thinkin,....why not try shrinking the tubes instead of the rather tedious job of enlarging the holes. I only needed to change the dia. of either by about .015".  So, I got out the trusty acetylene torch, squeezed the tube to an oval in the vice, heated the high spot to cherry red and hammered it down.  Took a coupla tries and extra work to get the tube back to round but I'm now going forward.

Thanks to all for your ideas.  I will keep them in the que for the next challenge.

Finally got the primary connections figgered out.  Understanding the timing of/for 180 degree headers sure was elusive for me.  I asked several folks and the stock answer was a question, "why would you want to do that?" ,..followed by a comment of how difficult or expensive it is to do.

So, I am going forward just the same!  :angry:

Header20Schematic_zpsxc9momke.jpg

Img_1405_zpsmt6u6yoc.jpg

Well you learns something everyday. I may have been living under a rock or something but I've never heard of a 180 degree header before and your last post has made me spend a little extra time on google researching what I didn't know. All I can say is WOW! I now understand...sort of  :D In the videos I've seen on youtube the motors running 180 degree headers have a very unique sound, I can't wait to hear a hemi.