P15-D24

Mattias78
Go to solution Solved by Uncle-Pekka,

Desoto is "S", not DS

It's been a while since I took a look at the 55 DeSoto hemi I have sitting in my shop floor,but I THINK it's code is DS.  I'll check it in a little while when I go out there to check on the shop cats.

Wow...Don's engine looks great from any angle. ! Sheeeesh. :)

Anyhow, I'm not against a disc brake conversion for any reason, but I throw out the thought as the brakes on my car work very well, I'm not sure I'd see a big difference between them and discs. But, my brakes are in very good condition. I fear that sometimes, when drum brakes work poorly, it's due to the condition of the whole brake system, and not that they are that inferior to disc brakes. Again, if I wanted to, I think I could lock up my brakes at about any speed, and really how much more brake can you use than that? I drive Lumpy fairly often, and would not hesitate to drive it any distance if I so desired, such as a cross country trip, journey up to the great white North, or whatever.

Now I may be wrong here, and I will gladly stand corrected, but it's my understanding that the main advantage to disc brakes is that they don't, or won't fade like drums will in a very long, hard brakeing distance such as a car going 100 or so mph, and then stopping as quickly as possible. As most of our cars won't see speeds over 65mph, I'm not sure the discs will have much advantage. I have cars with discs, and cars with drums, and as long as they are in good working order I don't find much if any difference in stopping power. ?? Of course, comparing 1972 Darts to 1948 D24's is apples to oranges I suppose.

On the other hand, if it's less expensive to convert, than to completely overhaul an old drum brake system...I can't argue with that!

ken.

Läcker bil där Mattias :) . I´ve better take this in english so our other Plymouth/Dodge friends understand as well. I have a D25C myself, bought from Calgary via Ebay in December 2011. What a wonderful car, I just love it. I had to do some rust repair on the rocker panels and some technical overhaul on the brakes and the transmission, but otherwise it is an all original car. Several problems were solved just by searching older posts in this excellent forum. My drum brakes work nicely by the way.

/Fredrik

• Solution

It's the same body as Fireball's coupe! Joy, Joy! Another great score for team Scandinavia!

DODGE 48 006.JPG

Linköping. Vi kanske ses på nån träff i sommar om du hinner få fart på kupan. :)

/F

First, Let me provide translation of the above for non-swedish speaking members:

Fredrik tells, that he lives in Lindköping and anticipates to se Mattias on some car meet (=träff) next summer, but that depends if Mattias will have time to put some fart to the coupe (=kupan).

Once that's settled and clear to all,

Let me wish you welcome to our merry crowd, Mattias - and congratulations; not only you've found an awesome cool & fun car, but also the best hobby car forum in the whole wide world.

Here you'll find all the information you'll ever need to rod or restore your D24 and also great persons to chat with on long winter nights.

Cheers,

Farbror-Pekka-från Finland

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

OK, I'll be the one to ask what this means;  " but that depends if Mattias will have time to put some fart to the coupe "?     

Oh, sorry, I missed to translate "fart", I thought it'd be self explaining...?

You know, there a lot of fart involved in cars and traffic in Scandinavia. May even be partially reason for the man-made-climate problem.

Haha! :)

I think he means If i will get i up and running in time for all the meets this summer!

Am i right Pekka?

Well, after all it was Fredrik who said that... Whaddy I know...

Fart is swedish for speed.

Edited by Uncle-Pekka