steering box

steve

I'm a newbie.....last summer I bought a 1950 B2-b.  Something for me to play with, as I'm 72 and mostly retired. Toys for boys. .  Anyway, the steering is loose.  Had new kingpins, shocks, etc. last summer.  Tried adjusting the steering box, didn't help.

Took the steering box out today, ya' that's fun.  When on the bench, you can feel bumps and grinds as you work it.  Called about having it rebuilt, but it's $700 plus shipping w/exchange.  Pricey for me.  Does anyone have any suggestions. Or do I just bite the bullet and send it off.  Thanks for your advise.

Steve

You should be able to get it done for less than that. Dad has the one for his 40 rebuilt I believe at Larez and even with having to spray weld and remachine a bearing surface it was around 500.

if you've got a bench vise, it's not too hard to rebuild the steering box if the gears aren't too chewed up.  If that big roller bearing is shot, ya might could get a replacement bearing and have a machine shop or somebody with a press get the old one off & install the new one.  Then rebuilding the box & making the adjustments are listed in the shop manual, with some more information here & there :cool:

• Like 1

Your at a perfect juncture if your handy and can do some welding and light fab work to try and mount a power box in there. Your likely to do it for the same price as your rebuilt original.

Google the snake river 4x4 club and they have a bracket that works on the power wagons with the box internal to the frame like the pilot house, it could be a good fit with their kit, or honestly I'd buy the other parts at your local wrecking yard or jobber parts dealer.

If not, possibly find a used box?

It's not as hard as you think and once it's out of the truck it's a good indoor project. You might want to check out a couple of threads:

In post #9 there are pdf's attached that you can use to cut out gaskets if youu have the same steering Gemmer steeting box as my 51 B3B.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/19395-steering-box/

The linkage is tricky so I'd advise taking a lot of photos and coming to a solid understanding of how it works and how it is assembled before you start wrenching.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/20328-add-a-zerk-fitting-to-your-steering-box/?hl=%2Bzerk+%2Bfitting+%2Bsteering+%2Bbox

Good Luck, 

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

There are two different steering boxes for the smaller trucks. The earlier one uses the cast bracket that bolts to the frame, the other bolts to a stiffening arm that goes from the front cross member to the left frame rail.  Although the boxes themselves are not interchangeable, I believe that all of the internals are which may simplify your parts search.  You may want to check for lube in the box, and if it's in there, that the previous owner hasn't cranked down on the adjustment too tight to compensate for another worn component.  PM me if you need parts I may be able to help with your rebuild.

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for your replies....I'll let you know when I decide on the course of action. I've looked inside the box and the worm gear appears to have been damaged.