Fire

pflaming

The high plains buffalo has huge heavy hair covered shoulders unlike cattle which are not indigenous to North America. When a major blizzard hits, cattle run with the storm and thus of often suffocate  or they stumble fall and pile up and die. However the buffalo walks INTO the storm which cuts the length of the storm, keeps his nostrils clean and thus he survives.

So in life, it's hard to tackle a challenge but like the buffalo, taking on the challenge lessens its effects. So as soon as I get clearance I will remove the truck and store it, then clean up and sort out what is salvageable. I have access to skip loaders, trucks, trash bins and the like. . Stay tuned, going to have me a slice of home made chocolate pie, with whipped cream, and a cup of coffee, comfort food.

Oh yes, got to find that trophy!!!!

Thank you to all, the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

FIRE002_zps16f8735e.jpg

FIRE005_zps61eb3990.jpg

FIRE004_zps59207136.jpg

FIREDAMAGE005_zps879732d4.jpg

Fire12am002_zpsd0baa6f5.jpg

Oilfilters_zps4b1ba535.jpg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

This morning I have a request. My granddaughter, Chloe, in the picture, lost her kitty in the fire. Cards to her would be most appreciated. Chloe Flaming, 1583 S Klein Ave., Reedley, CA 93654  Sort of numb this morning. After the fire was out, I was sitting and thinking. Chloe came to me and asked, "Papa, are you OK?". I took her on my lap, held her tight for a time, then I had a long conversation with my God. HE's been very, very good to me and I wanted Him and Chloe to know that. 

1strunupthemountain010_zps7bd107c7.jpg

Paul, I'm heading over to Germany this week and my daily driver took a suspension crap on the way back from the UP, as much as I'd love to send a card, life seems to have set it up so I can't get to/have time to get a card.   Please pass this along to her for me tho:

http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

I still hope you make the BBQ.

Edited by ggdad1951

Paul,

Your attitude, and determination are amazing.  I think some folks would be ready to surrender right now, given the same situation.  Please keep us updated with your progress.  We're all saddened by your loss (and your granddaughter's), but there's no doubt you'll recover and have that truck back on the road before long.  Good luck to you as you recover from the ashes, and condolences to your granddaughter.

Wayne

Paul;

I really like your buffalo analogy. I have often thought they should have been selected as the symbol of our nation.

Your determination and resilience is an inspiration to us all. As i read through your postings I know you are going to be OK. Perhaps a bit bruised and scarred like our old trucks.......but I feel confident you will motor on.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery. When you do get around to assessing the truck please post a list of the items you are going to need. I don't have a whole lot but you can have any of my spares you need.

Jeff

The high plains buffalo has huge heavy hair covered shoulders unlike cattle which are not indigenous to North America. When a major blizzard hits, cattle run with the storm and thus of often suffocate  or they stumble fall and pile up and die. However the buffalo walks INTO the storm which cuts the length of the storm, keeps his nostrils clean and thus he survives.

OK PP the cowboy I have a question for you. Why do cows normally stand facing either north or south? Do they actually have Magnetoception? This ought to get you thinking about something else other than the fire :rolleyes: 

It's an interesting but not conclusive observation from google earth pictures, etc. What I do know about cows is that in a very large pasture, Dad's were square mile pastures, when we had to get them to a better location, the location the cows would be found,  would be noticeably warmer.

Questions: 1) What are the chances the three tires that still hold air are safe. 2) fire was directly on the driver's side fender and door and that tire is gone. How do I determine if the metal in that fender and door are sound?

My insurance agent was by yesterday, declared it a total loss and told me an adjuster would be by within 48 hours.

(to be continued) 

Edited by pflaming

I'm sorry for your loss in all of this. Fire is something that has ravaged many of my friends and family over the years and is just one of those disasters that can be very tough to overcome, but it sounds like you have the right fighting spirit to get through it.

Wow, just reading this now. My worst nightmare! So sorry for you, the truck, and the cat.

I'm sure you'll pull through though....and hopefully you'll still make it to the BBQ!

If the body sheet metal isn't warped, it should be fine to clean up and paint.

the sheet metal on these old beasts can take the heat, so if they are warped, then they got purty hot.  If there are cracks in the surface of the bare metal, then that metal is effectively delaminating and has been substantially weakened.  As for the tires, one check is to see if the tires have gotten out of round by jacking up the wheel & spinning while checking runout visually.  Also, dismount the tires to see if the bead has melted to the rim and inspect the inside of the tires to see if there are any blisters to the inner liner.  Any defect is evidence of excess heat and the tires are prone to blowouts.

Questions: 1) What are the chances the three tires that still hold air are safe.

not to be an ass, but you're kidding, right? replace them all.

i've been there. lost everything but the clothes i was wearing to a house fire. no more electric blankets. no one got hurt, and that's all that mattered - same for you. sounds like you have the proper attitude to deal with this, and you'll be fine.

about the only extra pilothouse thing i have is a generator left over from my 12-volt conversion. if you need it, it's yours. i'll even ship it on my dime.

wally

Wally you are not alone in your thinking, the two things we need to count on with our trucks are brakes and tires.  All the other things help us get down the road.

Maybe he could trailer the truck to the BBQ and we can bring all our spare parts and load him up for his rise out of the ashes.

Richard  :)

"How do I determine if the metal in that fender and door are sound"

For the the steel to go through any real structual changes, the tempature of the steel would have to exceed 1100 F.

House fires are 1100 to 1200 F at their worst...but if your truck has held its shape (no obvious twisting or buckling), you're fine.

48D

• Like 1

Devestating, but things can be replaced, and I beleive the almighty has a way of correcting our course with these sorts of obstacles. Here's wishing you lots of adventure on this new course! (and of course resurrection for the truck too.)

"How do I determine if the metal in that fender and door are sound"

For the the steel to go through any real structual changes, the tempature of the steel would have to exceed 1100 F.

House fires are 1100 to 1200 F at their worst...but if your truck has held its shape (no obvious twisting or buckling), you're fine.

48D

How about the front suspension pieces did they lose their heat treat? Will they be safe....and even if you sand blast,  will the stench of burnt metal ever go away?

I will be careful not to over post on the fire yet will update periodically as things surface. For example: today the insurance and the city gave me the go ahead to clean and demolish the building, so that will commence tomorrow. A contractor is coming my tomorrow and a demolition company as well. I'll pull the truck out in the morning and will report on that. Otherwise all is well but just a little short on energy just now but that will return. 

I am just overwhelmed at YOUR responses. It is very humbling to read what has been written. Oh that I am worthy of all that. I will have a few requests I'm certain but for now, your considerations are most helpful. 

An ancient Chinese proverb says "A long journey starts with a single step". Such is the case here, but in this instance it will be a piece of charcoal and a burnt nail. 

God's blessings to each and all.

Paul

I'd be concerned about the wheel cylinders and rubber brake hoses being damaged due to excessive heat.

I think once the smoke clears, and the dust settles, Paul will have to ascertain  what the mechanical and structural state the truck is in. Did the wood in the truck bed floor burn, how about the seat etc. This may be a very salvageable case. There is no point all of us from a distance trying to determine what may or may not be needed in this resurrection of Pauls truck.

I would guess all wiring, brake hoses, hoses, belts, brake components, all fluids, tires,  pull carb fuel pump tank and lines and clean up. I wonder what state front end parts, shocks etc will also need a close inspection.

Paul keep us posted on what you discover, and hopefully this truck can be resurrected ASAP..