Fire

pflaming

Paul;

Glad to hear that things are moving forward. Best to get it behind you.

Perhaps it won't be too bad? When you get a chance to get a close look......look for what has melted and in what area of the truck. That should tell you where you have the worst potential damage. That the fuel system didn't get going and three of the tires are holding air may mean the damage while severe looking is of a more superficial nature. It is really going to depend on what was subjected to the most heat and how hot things actually got.

This is sort of a "band of brothers" and you are a worthy brother.

Jeff

How about the front suspension pieces did they lose their heat treat? Will they be safe....and even if you sand blast,  will the stench of burnt metal ever go away?

The process of steel prior to 1950 and the tempering process most automotive steel goes through then and now.....the tempertures reached in a typical house fire do not usually effect it. The smell? I can't believe steel is that absorbant of stink. But who knows?

48D

I also do not think steel absorbs aromas. But upholstery certainly does and I will remove every thread of that. Will also remove every wire and hose so I'm not too concerned about aroma. If I have a problem, I will just quit taking baths every day, eat more re-fried beans and thereby fight fire with fire! No pun intended.

• Like 2

Both the insurance investigator and the fire marshal concluded that finding the cause was not worth the effort and expense and that it quite probably was started by spontaneous combustion. So they closed the case and told me to get a contractor or an estimate and approved cleanup.

Today I was able to seriously start cleaning up. Tomorrow I have a fork lift, some old fruit bins, a couple large tipster bins, and a friend to help. We'll get the truck out, then use the fork lift to get the two engines, and tyrannies out. 

Interesting today. Firemen carried some debris into the back yard, it looked like junk but I did a quick sort through. In that pile I found some items in a box which were wrapped in newspaper and the paper was still wet. I guess it's quite appropriate that a very nice porcelain nativity set was in that box. All the figures were there and not one chipped or cracked.  

Firebackyardandnativityscene001_zps3c4bd

Firebackyardandnativityscene002_zps7256f

Edited by pflaming

Paul, was the actual cause of the blaze determined yet by investigation? 5 years ago, I discovered neighbors garage on fire, it was very close to the house, they had no idea there was a fire going on, saved the house, and my neighbors too, it was a nasty blaze, and in the country, no hydrants, and volunteer to boot. They got a new garage deck and house siding after all was said and done. they were quite grateful to Me for being in the right place at the right time...

Well, I pulled it out of the inferno this morning. Can't say I feel any better if as good. It is not a pretty sight what ever the angle. Got a lot of soul searching to do. Worked all day at  the task and didn't even make a dent. Did get the two engines out and the truck, can now get to the rest of the debris. 

Garagefiretruckremoval007_zpsbe22325a.jp

Garagefiretruckremoval003_zps61a237de.jp

Garagefiretruckinalleyhooddowntirechange

Garagefiretruckinalleyhooddowntirechange

The truck is surely a total in the insurance companies eyes. It could work out well though!

Just awful to have to start from scratch.  :mad:

DSCN1542_zps29e9e55b.jpg

It's really not too hard to get to this stage 

DSC_0044.jpg

Take it all apart...SandBlast the parts, Spray it with Zinc Chromate then take your time

DSCN1545_zps0a2aa9ba.jpgThere are is some real good polyurethane primers out there these days easy to work with and will last years.  I painted my truck once then had it painted again professionally. (1st: had no money but plenty of time 2nd: had the money didn't have the time)

Paul, It'll take a while but you can make it happen, 

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

"Take it all apart...SandBlast the parts, Spray it with Zinc Chromate then take your time."  Hank.  I have a log chain through a 3" pipe, couple that tight between the  two vehicles and then the towed vehicle doesn't need brakes. So thusly pulled the truck around the block to the front of the house for the night. It steers so nicely and rids so well, I then determined to somehow put it back on the road. 

However, Hank, I do not have the ability to take it all apart. I would have to number the parts chronologically to even have a chance.  So the coffee is ready and I need some strong, black coffee this morning. 

Chloe received three cards yesterday, she was a little confused until Nana explained, then she was a very happy little girl. THANK YOU . 

Well, the smoke in my mind is starting to thin out. We'll go out to dinner tonight and get me some authentic Italian food.  I am not going to use the tipsters for debri. I'll use them for steel and restoreable items. I will  rake the debris in to the center of the floor and the demolition company can take it away with the rest.

My biggest challenge is the exterior. Can one treat fire damaged metal and then put a semi gloss clear over it. I think there might be a neat flat black patina on the rest of the truck. If so, I would wet sand that, then coat the entire truck with a semi-gloss clear.  I'd then get me a good fireman's hat, put a small fire ax in the back window,  a nice chromed fire whistle on one fender, and get me a Dalmatian dog, maybe even paint an armadillo on the tail gate to honor my forum friends via a great forum friend's favorite animal. 

Garagefiretruckremoval009_zps4283cdcb.jp

Edited by pflaming

the last photos you posted were real tuff to look at I am so sorry  for the loss I don't post much here but I read here  a lot and I feel that I know how much you loved that truck as I do mine they are worth more to us than the money value some insurance aprraiser  will value it at..  neil

• Like 2

Paul. I am not sure what insurance company you have. Most all antique auto insurance companies (In a total loss such as you have) should write you a check for the declared value and then allow you to buy the vehicle back for scrap value. Then you can do with it as you please. I guess I am assuming that you did use an antique auto insurance company as this has been discussed many times on this forum.

• Like 1

The insurance question is like playing the skull game..where is the pea?  IF you read the very letter of your coverage..your are limited..Grundy may be the only one that is somewhat forgiving.  Many choose not to go collectors insurance for this very factor..towing a trailer is a HUGE NO NO with them..some like to pull a tin can camper.  Only one way to do that with collectors insurance as a static display with no personal effect in the trailer and the trailer not used at all enroute for its intended purpose..wow is this great or what.  Also collector insurance will protect spares stored in an enclosed locked are up to X dollar amount and will pay the loss.  Most collector car companies will also allow you to insure a project in works for a very affordable fee to prevent you from loss.  A car is not covered under home thus the builders insurance is a salvation to many till the time he converts to road coverage on a completed car.  If you doing lots of welding and cutting etc during your fabrication and do this indoors..I would suggest you looking into this coverage.  Else, you bear the risk and sole responsibility.  So it is easy to see how the term insurance poor come to light..

One of members suffered a fire with collectors and he was fully put back into great shape by the insurance company.  Couple more had physical damage loss..was covered and got the money but the buy back with collectors was astronomical compared to a standard daily driver x years old.  Again, all good questions to ask your underwriter up front....most are similar but the little variances can make or break the contract..

Found this picture and some artifacts as I was working my way through the debris. I'm about half way into the garage. Nothing new on the truck, will wash it tomorrow and remove all glass, then on Monday will steam/pressure wash again. We pulled it to the front and the brakes work like they had and it steered so nice. 

(to be continued)

a47b3fd3-d269-471a-a2f4-0c86e46b6bff_zps

I am working / coaching a young student for a speech contest. She is a high school freshman. I did not make a short meeting with her so send ther the following "Sorry we did not meet up. My shop burned to the ground Sunday morning and I had my hands full today". Young people have a somewhat different vocabulary, this was her response. Ohhh woah.! I totally understand."  Cool!   :cool: 

Davin;

First off as the originator of that excuse.... oh yes it was me :lol: ....let me just say that it really happened. It didn't go over well 50 years ago....and I caught hell .... until I brought a letter from my Mom the next day.

"Patina" Paul unless I am much mistaken quite a lot of that flat black you are seeing now may just be soot from the fire. I am not sure you could get away with a clear coat over soot as it is likely to be soft and may even react with components in the clear coat.

To get an idea of what the surface is really like you might try cleaning an area with a maroon scotchbrite pad and good old Johnson's paste wax. I suspect quite a lot of the old patina surface is still there under the soot. You might even find lamp black useful as a touch up agent in the most heavily damaged areas.

Jeff