PCV valve on intake manifold

MattWalker

After a long conversation with the guys at Vintage Power Wagons, who are very nice and helpful and put up with my thousands of questions, I ordered two parts, the pcv valve and the crank case fitting.  They told me after looking at my manifold that their stock PCV system would not work but I could attempt to plumb it myself.  The other choice was to have another hole machined in my manifold which sounded like a bit much.  At least I need to only worry about the pieces in between.  I am not the most able at this stuff but I am going to give it a try.  I hope I have it done it time for spring. Next Savannah trip will hopefully be fume free in the cabin.

The two parts plus shipping from IA to GA was 51 bucks..., not sure what the plumbing in between will cost.  But given that a new road draft tube was 40, didn't seem so bad.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the carb off while working on installing the pcv, should I rebuild it while it is off?  it is fine as far as I know...

Also I noticed that before I took it off, the bolts holding it to the manifold were loose, like a full turn or so, is that odd?  must have let air in that gap big time.  I guess I never shook it before cuz when I did it was obviously loose.  I suppose the air intake support arm held it steady somewhat as well.

I took the carb off while working on installing the pcv, should I rebuild it while it is off?  it is fine as far as I know...

Also I noticed that before I took it off, the bolts holding it to the manifold were loose, like a full turn or so, is that odd?  must have let air in that gap big time.  I guess I never shook it before cuz when I did it was obviously loose.  I suppose the air intake support arm held it steady somewhat as well.

Don't fix what is not broken. Leave the carburetor alone. It is common for all external engine bolts and nuts to work loose over time. Good idea to snug everything up occasionally including the screws on the top of the carburetor. Just don't over tighten.

• Like 1

Don't fix what is not broken. Leave the carburetor alone. It is common for all external engine bolts and nuts to work loose over time. Good idea to snug everything up occasionally including the screws on the top of the carburetor. Just don't over tighten.

I found some loose manifold nuts this last week when I was doing something else. Never seen that before. My general experience with manifold fasteners is that they don't want to come off at all, not that they will volunteer to come off.

I'm going to add "check and tighten all steering, suspension, drivetrain and engine bolts" to my 2,000 mile maintenance check list.

Well most wise motorcycle riders know to tighten nuts and bolts on a regular basis...of course the consequences of not doing that are a bit worse when you are balancing on two wheels.

PVC would be...."Politically Very Correct".

ken.

Well most wise motorcycle riders know to tighten nuts and bolts on a regular basis...

Especially those who ride the old T-120R Triumph Bonnevilles. I had TT cams and pistons in mine,and I could sit at a stop light and watch the forks twist in different directions while it was idling.

The SOB would FLY,though.

I had a TT120R back in the early 70's. Supposedly never imported to the USA. VERY limited production. Also too fast!

Flat out twice and time to have the timing set again, would not stay the same with that motor!

Loved it! Road it norcal to BC Canada and back one summer with my girlfriend and very overloaded. Had a blast though!

Doug

• 4 months later...

Finally managed to work on the Plymouth and got one side of the pcv system installed, the crank case to manifold side.  Works well but engine is running a little hotter... too lean due to more air?

Does anybody know a part number to a breather cap that fits the p15 that has a pcv hose port on it?  guess I could make one but with a 6 month old, I'm lucky to get 5 minutes a week for this car.  took me 5 months just to install the first part!!

Here's mine, using the VPW crankcase fitting and PCV valve and a custom bent/accidentally kinked tube. Someday I'll cap the oil fill tube with something that seals and run a line from there to the clean side of the air cleaner like Donald's.

I had to richen the idle mixture to compensate for the extra air but it wasn't a big difference.

jguIGl2h.jpg

Edited by jsturner
Updated image host from Photobucket to Imgur
  • Like 1

I have a 1965 Mustang along my 1948 Plymouth, and I just checked for the Mustang external vented filler cap and they are available and should fit. I will be doing the pcv adaption on the Plymouth when the weather gets cooler, 95 today with humidity, I hate humidity! check with National parts depot near you for part #67663. Have them verify the tube size the cap will fit.