P20 oil filter conversion - Calling Don Coatney

kreed

I have a 1950 Plymouth P20 Special Deluxe Club Coupe Convertible.  I found on Don Coatney's photobucket website his conversion to a spin on cartridge oil filter.  I would like to replicate what he did.  Does anyone know how to contact Don or can point me in the right direction?  

Thanks, 

kreed

post-6674-0-07639600-1391800999_thumb.jpg

You won't be able to duplicate Don's setup because his motor is a 25 inch motor that has a factory oil filter setup.  The 23 inch motors only had a bypass oil filter as an option.  That said, there are a number of us that have done various conversion to add full flow "modern" oil filter setups to a 23 inch motor.  Most involve some amount of drilling and tapping adjacent to the oil pump, and really can't be done in the car.  You should be able to use the search function to find directions.

Marty

You have been steered in the right direction.

Answer to your question on contacting............  you can attempt to contact any forum member by hovering over their name in a post (up in the left. should be in blue), or on the right side on a page with a list of threads if that person was the last poster.  When you hover, a window will open. On the bottom left in the window you will see "send message". You can click on that to send a "private message". Another way is,  at the very top of the page, just to the left of your name you will see an envelope. Click on that. You can then send a private message to any forum member, or multiple members.

Edit: selecting help (up to the right) will ...help... guide you through some of the site processes.

http://p15-d24.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

Edited by shel_ny

Yes my 39 desoto had the by-pass style oil filration system. I had the otiginal oil ca setup like in you picture with the White Wix, which is no longer available.

I know you can get these at some swap meets but the price is running around 45 and up.  You can also convert to the oil metal canister style inwhich you insert the filter inside the canister and then bolt down the lid.  These internal filters, the filtering element run about 10 dollar. The metal canister can run you if you are looking for an offical MopAr unit 50-100 dollars.  But the easy of changing the filter element and the lower cost is what is important.

I have the long 25 block in my car.

Rich HArtung.

I have a 1950 Plymouth P20 Special Deluxe Club Coupe Convertible.  I found on Don Coatney's photobucket website his conversion to a spin on cartridge oil filter.  I would like to replicate what he did.  Does anyone know how to contact Don or can point me in the right direction?  

Thanks, 

kreed

Is this the picture you found? If so that is not my engine and I think it is Marty's engine. The second picture is Marty's. As Marty said my Desoto engine has factory full flow filter provisions and the shorter block Dodge and Plymouth engines do not.

FFsmallblock2.jpg

mb11.jpg

If there is a possibility that this could be done to my 218 it would be cool to do an easy oil change.  Gonna be driving a lot and want to make it enjoyable as well as easily serviceable.

Thanks for all of the responses.  Below is the picture that made me have this idea.  

That picture is a Chrysler engine with full flow filtration capabilities. The owner has installed an OBERG filter (Google that) and a spin on canister. You could do the same with your by-pass system if you so elect.

Oberg5.jpg

Oberg4.jpg

After review of this conversion, it seems like a good option but out of my price range.  I'll just change out my sealed oil filter for a non-sealed replaceable filter.  

I didn't find out about this forum until after I found the plymouthbulletin.com forum.  Check out my restoration at that forum at 

http://plymouthbulletin.com/smf/index.php?topic=3415.0 

Thank you for all of the help.  

If all you want is a spin on filter housing this one will work for $18.58.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Oil-Filter-Adapter-Universal-Ports-Up-VW-Bug-VW-Dune-Buggy-Hot-Rod-/190892160399

But keep in mind that the spin on filter element will not filter to the same particulate size that a by-pass filter element will.

But keep in mind that the spin on filter element will not filter to the same particulate size that a by-pass filter element will.

Don, have you seen the specs for micron filtration of the original bypass filters by type of original.?

I'd be interested to compare to what a after market filter-spin on style that I got5 with my forklift motor that had a mopar flat six 230 installed at the factory in the 60's.

For many filters now it can checked online as to micron #'s and even with the same brand and part # diff. filters can be had that have diff. micron filtration #,s.

So, the reason I'm asking would be to compare the micron # of what I'm currently using with an original and compare also to the diff. brands micron #'s of the fitment I'm using to see if something is comparable in # to an origianl #.

Thanks,

Doug

But keep in mind that the spin on filter element will not filter to the same particulate size that a by-pass filter element will.

Don, have you seen the specs for micron filtration of the original bypass filters by type of original.?

I'd be interested to compare to what a after market filter-spin on style that I got5 with my forklift motor that had a mopar flat six 230 installed at the factory in the 60's.

For many filters now it can checked online as to micron #'s and even with the same brand and part # diff. filters can be had that have diff. micron filtration #,s.

So, the reason I'm asking would be to compare the micron # of what I'm currently using with an original and compare also to the diff. brands micron #'s of the fitment I'm using to see if something is comparable in # to an origianl #.

Thanks,

Doug

I asked a Wix representative about the micron rating of the old canister style bypass filter. Turns out that depth media filters don't really have a micron rating. They will capture sub-micron particles but may also let pass some larger stuff. Guess that is why the people who are serious fit their engines with both a full full paper media filter and a by-pass depth media filter.

• Like 1

I know its nice to know the micron level for a filter, but when these cars were first made they were useing the good old old that had a lot of impurities inthem and a lot of parafin.  They used a straing wirhte 30 oil.  good olf gold that turned black and most cars did not even have a filter, just changed more oftern.

Our modern oil is a better grade of have better refining and has less impuritied and now we also also getting a blend of syntehic inthe cars.

So i do not think it really matters how fine the filter can go.  It is good to have a filter to help clean the oil but to worry about the micron level is something I am not worried about.  I feel that my engine will out live me and I am 63.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for all of the replies.  This really helps and I think I'll end up going with the spin on conversion. 

If all you want is a spin on filter housing this one will work for $18.58.

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/190892160399

But keep in mind that the spin on filter element will not filter to the same particulate size that a by-pass filter element will.

Try using a bypass filter of later style like a wix 51050 crosses to napa  and Fram plus many others!

Commonly avail. and reasonable cost.

Built your own filter mount and lines, probably less than $100, more like $ 75

Upon a look at most  new car filters are 30 micron and some 20 or use a hydralic filteroil down to 5 micron-But they cost $70 per! (Donaldson). Online checking. Saw 7-8 Mopar part #'s for a filter that matched a Fram pb50. Where they a bypass type filter? Could not find a pic. or description.

With new type oils and qualities-no worry!

Best,

Doug

The old TP-based filters (Stilko, Frantz) are supposed to filter extremely fine. I went with a finned Stilko 'cause it looked nice with the rest of my engine. With it mounted high filter changes are easy, and -given the medium- cheap!

FrantzBrochure.jpg

Factory "How-To" for our cars:

FrantzOilFilterDiagram.jpg

On my '50:

Enginewithnewoilfilter.jpg

Frank

To answer your WHY, by attaching the oil return directly to the oil pan you create a (more of) full-flow system.  When you use the regular line input, your back in the by-pass mode, which only filters part of the oil when the pressure relief valve is open.  If you have a 46-54 manual the relief valve is illustrated on page 153.  If you want me to scan it send me a PM.

• Like 1