Raer Axle Pinion seal modern equivalent?

Ward Duffield

try SKF 18880

1271104, 663602, 76450

EDIT:

663302 seal

663304 felt washer

EDIT 2:  Tod Fitch's parts list

http://www.ply33.com/Parts/numeric

Edited by shel_ny

You'll need a few more measurements if you want to find a seal based on dimensions.  OD is important.  You'll need the ID as well which is the diameter of the yoke where the seal rides, the thickness of the seal and the design of the seal.  Also if you mentioned specifically what it supposed to fit, you may get a direct  cross reference number.  Try SKF, Chicago Rawhide, National, or your local parts house.

OK I guess NAPA is really the only competent source near me, so I'll ask there for a 46 Plymouth Pinion seal.

The Parts Book specifies the OD (and the applicability list), so I included it in my post.

I do not want to extract the old seal until I have a new one in hand

Ward D

NY

Ok now that you identified your car as a 46 ply. I assume you have the original rear end.

So iaccording to my NAtioanl Oil seal catlaog

Ply 6 cyl regular car not 7 passenger   from 1937- 55 uses natioanl oil seal oinion  5851

Desoto  37-48  same seal

Dodge 37-50 same seal.

So you can also look on the Bay also  but napa should beable to order you a seal.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

As a suggestion, also order the speedi-sleeve that goes with that seal. The yoke will often be worn where the seal rides and the sleeve will give the seal a fresh surface to ride on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Group

Man, it has been a LOOONG Winter!

I bought two Federal Mogul P/N 473240 seals (one as a spare for future projects), but they are only .312" thick,

whereas the original 663 602 seal I dynamited out tonight is .586 thick.

Where does anyone think I ought to locate the new seal?

All the way in the differential bore?

At the forward edge?

Use both seals at once?

I am hesitant to button it all up and see it leak.

PS I replaced the yoke w/ NOS for about the same cost as a SpeediSleeve.

Thanks for any advice

Ward

You most likely will not find a modern replacement seal sized exactly as the original. One that is sized correct for the bore and shaft size is what counts and also that it is a double lip seal-an inner lip to hold oil in and a outward angled smaller lip to deflect dust/water that gets behind the yoke flange slinger.

As mentioned a speedi-sleeve is a must to install on a grooved pinion yoke.

On my DeSoto, I had installed a speedi-sleeve and seal, but the seal leaked.  The speedi-sleeve was too short, and was not located at the right depth.

Also, I've got the long wheelbase sedan,so the opening for the seal is larger than for the standard car, and the seal outside diameter was not quite big enough.

So I made sure I got a deeper speedi-sleeve, and got another seal.

I installed the old seal to keep the lubricant in, then I cleaned the outside of the seal and the edges of the opening, and installed the second seal with RTV silicone around the edges. 

The last I looked, it was not leaking.  Knock on Bakelite wood-grain plastic laminate.    

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 2/6/2014 at 12:39 PM, _shel_ny said:

From Tod's site

Drive Pinion Bearing Oil Seal Assembly

Interchange/Vendor:     NAPA NOS 18880       Chrysler 1271104       National 5851       Chicago Rawhide 18880       Federal Mogul 473240

Can you provide the URL for "Tod's site", please?