1949 Dodge B1B Woodie Makeover

Don't forget to drive up to Clements for the BBQ April 5th.....Your ride will be well recieved!

My truck is a 2006 and has the MDS...which was why I was asking. Its a seamless transfer of power, never even notice it.

But absolutely nothing wrong with the '05 version, I just wanted to say we had the same motor..lol.

48D   

Mopar's version of multi-displacement must be a lot better than the early 80's Cadillac V-8-6-4, which was a flop!

Your spacer the lower control arm goes through appears to leave a gap in it that would let the control arm move forward or back. it also normally gusseted to the cross member. There's a lot of force applied to bolt and spacer so it needs to be supported well.

The saga continues.  Here's a couple more pictures from yesterday.

Shown in one of the pictures is the sleeve/gusset that will provide the horizontal strengthening for the cross-member that was  referenced a couple of posts back.  They just haven't been welded in place yet.

post-74-0-07383800-1392488788_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-19801500-1392488801_thumb.jpg

I think I added a vertical gusset to mine as well. My sleeve for the control arm bolt ran all the way through the crossmember and was welded on the inside as well so it won't collapse the cross member.

Here are some more pictures I took on 2/21/14.  Motor and transmission are now mounted in the truck.  Master cylinder is going in.  Steering column and shift lever are going in and steering linkage is fitted to the rack and pinion unit. Gas pedal is mounted.  Vintage Air unit is installed. 

We we able to save the cowell vent which will remain totally operational and we saved the fresh air vent which feed air from the intake at the radiator thru a hose into the firewall..  It's amazing how much room there is in these trucks.  The firewall will stay untouched and we were able to use the stock floor panels without any problem.  We did have to redo the cross-member to support the transmission.

Looks like I can only attach 3 pictures here so I'll post a couple more messages with the rest.

post-74-0-15442800-1393219288_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-16988600-1393219322_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-41699500-1393219355_thumb.jpg

Hank,

As noted in the link TodFitch posted, Woodies on the Wharf in Santa Cruz is on June 21st, but there is also a large woodie meet coming up closer to you in Dana Point on April 12th.  Doheny Wood is held at Doheny State Beach.  I am pretty sure there will be two or three Pilothouse woodies there.  Since my red Dodge will probably not be ready by then, I may drive my 4x4 Dodge B1B Woodie up there.

Charles

Updates for today (2/28),

Modern headlight switch is in.  I still have to do some work to get the stock knob and bezel to fit, but it will work out.

The wiring is coming along.

We pulled the wheels today to take to the wheel shop,  I am going to keep the stock 16" centers and have new 7" or 8" hoops put on the 4 wheels that will be on the ground.  I don't want the rims any wider than I really need, so I am open for your thoughts on that.  I am going to keep one wheel stock, so it will fit in the woodie under the third seat.

The new fuse panel is in.

The new radiator is mounted.  We were able to fabricate the mounting brackets to accommodate a new stock Dodge Charger radiator.  It should work fine.

I am going place the new gas tank between the frame rails behind the rear axle where the spare used to be.  The way it looks now, I think we can do a real clean installation of a 22-24 gallon tank.

Here's a couple of pictures of the fuse panel and the radiator..

post-74-0-33240900-1393638833_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-96182400-1393638845_thumb.jpg

Here's a little more info:

Engine - Chrysler 5.7L Hemi engine as was used in 2006-2009 1500 Ram truck (new)

Transmission - Chrysler 545RFE 5 speed automatic overdrive (new)

Wheels - 16x7 (new hoops with stock centers)

Tires - 245/70R16 (not sure what brand yet)

Radiator - Dodge Charger (new)

When this project is completed, I plan to post a list of all the parts used and their sources.