Alternatives to propane heat

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

I have a friend who heats his family house with propane.  Since in last few days it has gone nuts....$4.50 to $6 bucks a gallon with 200 gal max and no further for the month.

Just wondering if their is any gearhead d-i-y wood heat outdoor furnaces with pipes inside to a furnace A-coil???

Elec heaters arent good either,,,enough of them over load  elec system and cause fires

This supposed propane shortage is going to be VERY harmful and have long reaching effects

Somebody said burning coal is a good deal yet but dont know where they sell it locally

Guess I was lucky - I filled mine 3 weeks ago at $2.29 - and was pissed it had gone up from $1.69.

I have a heat pump in both the shop and house, in winter electricity is about 4.5 cents per kw hour for the heat pump. (Metered seperately) Below 15 degrees it shuts off electricity and goes to propane. Unless I'm there, then it goes to wood.

I think heat pumps running from deep wells are going up become much more popular!

Gene

Your probably the victim of good old fashioned "gouging".  A natural gas pipeline ruptured in Canada north of your area a few days ago, now the gas company is requesting rationing and conservation in most of the Great Plains.  I didn't see Nebraska on the list, but you're close enough to be taken advantage of.  I remember this stuff from when I was growing up in south Texas, a hurricane would be approaching, and the price of gasoline, lumber, tarps, generators, etc. would skyrocket over night.  It got so bad that Texas had to pass laws against it.