Starter Installation and Removal

Rich you got me curious about the name so I went to see what Craftsman calls them: Craftsman 9/16 x 5/8 IN Onstruction Wrench http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9-16-x-5-8-in-onstruction-wrench/p-00904015000P?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

Guess we were both wrong ;)

Rich you got me curious about the name so I went to see what Craftsman calls them: Craftsman 9/16 x 5/8 IN Onstruction Wrench http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9-16-x-5-8-in-onstruction-wrench/p-00904015000P?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

Young Ed:

Great! Now I know what I am looking for. It just might work for me. Even if it doesn't, it looks like a good wrench to have in my inventory. Thank you.

Barry

The Sears wrench is called an obstruction wrench. If you look at the Sears description, it says "obstructuion wrench for going around obstructions". I guess the title is a mistake.

Bob

Yes I'm sure its a mistake. I just thought it funny that a large retailer like that would have a typo on their website. Don't they have spell check?

you can pick up these wrench at your local swap meets. Eventhe cheaper wrenchs are ok so long as you do not beat on them.  Th bolts to hold onthe starters do not have to be held in place with a lot of force.  Just have them snug and tight.

This isa  wrench that is not used allthe time but when you need it you need it to do the job in those tight areas..  Like Don showed the wrench also can be used to get to the bolts inthe manifold just to get a short throw onthe nut or bolt.

Rich Hartung

you can pick up these wrench at your local swap meets. Eventhe cheaper wrenchs are ok so long as you do not beat on them.  Th bolts to hold onthe starters do not have to be held in place with a lot of force.  Just have them snug and tight.

This isa  wrench that is not used allthe time but when you need it you need it to do the job in those tight areas..  Like Don showed the wrench also can be used to get to the bolts inthe manifold just to get a short throw onthe nut or bolt.

Rich Hartung

I just ordered the wrench from Sears. $15.58 with shipping and tax. I suspect that if I went to our local Sears store I would have to buy the entire set for about $94.

Barry

This would be one wrench if they made it with the internal racket system like some of the other box and closed end wrenchs would really be a big help and time saver and also aggrevation saver.

But how many of these would they sell is the other question.  We all use the box ended wrenchs more than the obstruction wrench.  Glad this solved your issue. 

Rich HArtung

This would be one wrench if they made it with the internal racket system like some of the other box and closed end wrenchs would really be a big help and time saver and also aggrevation saver.

But how many of these would they sell is the other question.  We all use the box ended wrenchs more than the obstruction wrench.  Glad this solved your issue. 

Rich HArtung

all you gotta do is sell ONE for $1,000,000 and you'd be set!  ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You don't necessarily have to get a car starter for your truck. As I recall, they have little switches that you bolt on to the top of your starter (where your starter pedal depresses the manual switch on the starter). This way, you have a push button on your dash that you can wire. I have debated doing that to my B3-B but personally, I kinda like the look on people's faces when they see four pedals on the floor!

. . . I kinda like the look on people's faces when they see four pedals on the floor!

Or when you are in the car ready to leave chatting with someone and, with both hands fully visible and obviously not being used, the engine "spontaneously" starts.

Does the high/low beam switch count as another pedal? If so then the count is five instead of four.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!!! Oh man, if that isn't the truth!!! And yes, I would definitely say that that high/low beam counts. An additional perk next to all this greatness is that if someone tried to steal your car, you could fool half the common thieves out there just by overwhelming them with pedals, especially if you hot wire the ignition switch and hear the relays 'click'. "Oh man, the battery is dead!"

• 3 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2014 at 6:44 PM, RatrodDodge said:

You don't necessarily have to get a car starter for your truck. As I recall, they have little switches that you bolt on to the top of your starter (where your starter pedal depresses the manual switch on the starter). This way, you have a push button on your dash that you can wire. I have debated doing that to my B3-B but personally, I kinda like the look on people's faces when they see four pedals on the floor!

Any idea of the part number / type of switch that would go on a foot activated starter - - to convert the system to a simple electrical push start?

9 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

I'm a novice - - but that appears to be a push-type starter switch vs. an electrical type switch that would eventually be used with a push button starting system, 

NWMDC.jpg

That's exactly what it is.  I had one on my 2 cylinder John Deere B tractor many years ago.