50 deluxe wiring

50'fastbacksf

I have a 1950 plymouth fastback and I am just about to start upgrading/restoring her. First I would like to start with the wiring and things I know I can't handle or have time for. I live in fayetteville, NC and wondering if there is a trustworthy shop here? Also what is a good harness to get? It as been 12v converted. I am also looking to add electric wipers if thats possible? I have had her for about 3 years but work has really delayed her comeback. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks todd

• Like 1

Well, ……no answers to your question yet, ……..so you’re stuck with me for now.

This will bump this to the top and I have to say something outrageous to get the attention (and further contempt) of the herd. Like; “I would think that a complete wiring harness out of a fuel injected Mustang will work”! ;)

Just kidding, …………………….BUT (there always is a but)…………………..you know that how we learn things is by doing things outside of our comfort circle.  Yes, you have the money (LOTS  I hope) to farm out the wiring and not much time but (again) it is all about the priorities that we  set for ourselves.   

Todd, it is too far for me to come and do the wiring, although I sure am getting tired of winter, how is the weather in NC? I think you should do it yourself, with no deadline, or pressure, the enjoyment of doing it and the satisfaction of accomplishment is worth a lot. It’s not rocket science it just looks like it.    :) 

• Like 1

Do it yourself is a good idea. Did that when I didn't know anything about wiring and it worked out great because I did one wire at a time. If you do it yourself, get a wiring diagram which will tell what color and wire size to use for each wire. If you like spending money, Rhode Island Wiring will be happy to make a complete set that is like the original for around $700 and you could have someone install it for who knows what.

Rhode Island probably has a stock harness and might be persuaded to add in the electric wipers.  Aftermarket companies like Painless , EZ and American can provide DIY harnesses for you or your  wiring shop to install.  Looking for a "good" shop is on your own since "good" is subjective and experiences with any shop can be good or bad depending on who you talk to.  You should be able to get some references from any of them.

I used a Rhode Island harness that wound up with about a dozen custom touches that worked out perfectly!  Everything from turn signal wiring to headlight relays with larger gauge wire to the headlights, and things like deleting the voltage regulator wiring because I was using a 1-wire alternator.  Not cheap, but highly recommended!

Marty

That wiring diagram confuses me too.  IF you start taking one wire at a time and replacing it as you go. it will all fall into place much easier.  Try to get a few different color wires so they dont all blend with one another and maybe use at least a wire size or two bigger as you go especially around the starter and headlights. 

The wiring diagram is best used as a trouble shooting and reference if you do have a wire missing or a botched former d-i-y former owner cluster truck....Where the wires run together in a line put one of those snap on wire covers  to keep it looking tidy and organized.

When all else fails or need a shoulder to lean on, let us help if we can.  IF everything works now,,,it will work after replacing the wires one-at-a-time  Tie old wire to new wire to pull threw  where needed.

This diagram may be clearer.     I did my own on a P15.    The numbers on the diagram are wire gauges, you will need different sizes to match the load.   Try to use many colors that match the use, like right side turn signals.   Label what the wires are for.   I added wires for a future switch to 12V and spares for new lights etc. One thing that made old wiring so poor was the lack of ground wires.   Add ground wires to everything you can.    If you end up with a EFI engine you will probably need to run it straight to the battery.   Each roll of wire will set you back $6-7.   I worked on complicated wiring for years but this was challenging .   I made my own diagram that put the components in place.   The dash was hard as I added circuit breakers and fuses that the P -15 didn't use.

Good luck

Jim M

post-5163-0-01405600-1390504228_thumb.jpg

use at least a wire size or two bigger as you go especially around the starter and headlights. 

Were it me I would investigate the amp load and size the wire accordingly. This is a case where just guessing at wire size will get you into trouble. Here is a link to a calculator that should help.

CLICK HERE------->  http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WireSizeCalc.html

• Like 1