Chassis and Under body protection

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestion on what product I should use to stop and protect my chassis and under body from the elements. There is light rust all over from age etc.

I would like a DIY product.

You should try to remove the loose flaky stuff before you put any coating on.  I've had good luck with a rust converter and then some type of rubberized undercoating.  If you undercoat directly over rust it will continue to rust under the coating.  Having surfaces clean and sealed makes all the difference.  My rear trans seal was leaking when I first got my truck, but the area spattered by gear oil had original paint under it.  I've also used a spray on heavy oil, but that leaves a mess and is only temporary.   Mike

bed liner stuff: ONLY use if there is NO rust, otherwise you will look like all those poor SOB's with a rusted out box with a pretty liner since the liner material traps moisture and will let it continue to rust

converting paints (etc.):  HIGHLY recommend this direction.  Personally I used POR15, that stuff is TOUGH, you have to SAND it off, properly prepped surfaces (light rust/oxide layer) and it becomes ONE with the metal.  There are other cheaper versions that POR15 out there.  But I opted for KNOWING it will never come off.

Edited by ggdad1951

I also used the rust coverted stuff when I had my truck apart.  Rustoleam makes a spray bomb version so you can use it to get to the hard to reach spots if you need to. 

It doesn't flake off like a spraypaint does either...it really does stick well.  I tried to scrape some off after I treated the frame to see how durable it was and it really didn't come loose.

As stated, just get the loose stuff off, then spray it on.  You can use a bed liner on top of that after it's dry.

Clean the metal substrate, as others have mentioned, you can use rust converters if you like, be careful if using any acid based products.

Use a decent rusty metal type primer, shoot on or brush/roller, your choice, then use truck bedliner, rubberized rocker guard, or a topcoat of paint.

Any rusty metal that is sealed , and no moisture or oxygen, equals not rusting, corrosion needed moisture and oxygen to proliferate.

I have seen sandblasted metal rust again, and wire brushed not, bot had some coating, but if rust and moisture can come through the other side, it will rust through.

Clean up your undercarriage, whatever way you can, primer and topcoat or undecoating, good for another 60 years. hey unless you plan on driving in salty,slushy weather, or you park this sucker in the wet tall grass, it will outlast you.....