windows,,,clear, tinted blue or smoke?

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

Guy wants a reasonable price for passenger door glass.  Car is in dark garage with 30 years of dust on windows.  Is there an easy method to determine IF windows are tinted? or clear?  I am replacing only 2 so not matching would not be good.  One of which is drivers windsheild..  think I will break out the Windex tommorrow

If that windshield has been replaced at some time, the new glass may be tinted. Same holds true for a side glass. 

To check if a side window is tinted glass, roll down part way and observe a piece of white paper (i.e. the back of a business card) that is half-behind the glass edge.  A very slight difference in colour is indicative of clear glass.  To get a better feel for this, also try the same exercise with your modern car front door glass and you will see the colour difference resulting from a light tint.

Having established whether the side glass is tinted, observe two pieces of white paper from the inside of the car, one through the side glass and the other through the windshield and see if they are the same.

Having said all this, my bet is for clear glass all around.

• Like 1

It's highly likely the glass is clear, especially if the car hasn't been out in the world for several years.

I would definitely take the Windex and a roll of paper towels to clean up the glass to make sure what

you're getting.  There can be other imperfections (or damage) to the glass under the dirt.....chips,

scratches, etc.  I even found scratches from a paint grinder on the side glass of one car I had.  

The other advice above, like the white item to put behind the glass, etc seems good also.  Good luck. 

Ask most members are stating these are probably clear glass.  But when yo go to replace the glass you can change to a tint if you want to, remember its your car.  If you are not going for points judging then do what you want.

Also check with your local glass guy to see what is permited in your state for tinted and how dark of a tint is permitted.  Most states and probably all do not permit the blacken galss in the front windshield  and only a certin dark tint on the side and rear windows.

Safety glass will have to be used when replacing the glass.

Rich Hartung

Old glass, especially auto glass has a tendency to discolor over time.. Old original auto glass will generally have a slight green color.. When I have glass replaced in an old car I generally use glass with a light green tint, then it does not look out of place next to old original glass... Bill

Edited by blucarsdn