Dual Carbs

Drifter99

Any body running George Ashe dual carbs? I am interested in the performance or advantage of them or how it affects the gas mileage. I would suppose you would need to open the exhaust also.They look cool!! Thanks Robin

Hi Bob here from Vancouver Island, when I saw this post it brought back memories.  I drive a 1941 Fargo, 230  engine is out of a 1954 Dodge.  I fitted three SU carbs on home made manifolds, engine response was amazing, gas milage not so much.

Engine had long tube headers and dual glass pack mufflers.  Biggest problem is keeping them in sync and not freezing up in cool weather.  I switched it all back to stock but now considering a new dual barrel carb with pre heat.

Tuning of the tripple carbs required a vaccum gauge and a glass spark plug, .... yes they made them for tuning motorcycles in England.

Amazing flame colour inside a cyclinder, adjusted the mixtures for best performance,   Great memories but more trouble then it was worth.

Cheers,

Bob.

• Like 1

Hi Bob here from Vancouver Island, when I saw this post it brought back memories.  I drive a 1941 Fargo, 230  engine is out of a 1954 Dodge.  I fitted three SU carbs on home made manifolds, engine response was amazing, gas milage not so much.

Engine had long tube headers and dual glass pack mufflers.  Biggest problem is keeping them in sync and not freezing up in cool weather.  I switched it all back to stock but now considering a new dual barrel carb with pre heat.

Tuning of the tripple carbs required a vaccum gauge and a glass spark plug, .... yes they made them for tuning motorcycles in England.

Amazing flame colour inside a cyclinder, adjusted the mixtures for best performance,   Great memories but more trouble then it was worth.

Cheers,

Bob.

Hi Bob, so with your added carbs, and headers, that Fargo have a quite a bit more kick did she? I am tossing the idea of splitting the exhaust and going with a 2 bbl carb, or staying completely stock, I have a 251 engine. The 230 you mention, was that a Canadian Dodge, then it may have been a 228 long block....thanx for the post

it is? what's the frosty-looking substance on the exterior of mine?

i believe you are correct about the relative humidity, ie, more likely to ice-up with high r-h. and it occurs when the ambient temp is above freezing, too (i know you know that).

The frost on the outside of a carburetor does not affect how the engine runs. The frost on the inside is what matters.

I'm running dual 1bbl's on my truck and they have been working working great. I got the George Asche setup with manifold supplied by him as well. Linkage is very easy - just hook it up to the stock bell crank on the manifold. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Pics? :)

Here's some pics. From one year ago - just before dropping it into the truck! 

I got the manifold, carbs, and linkage from George. No cam, though....still running the stock one. The manifold had two uprights brazed onto the cast iron, and was a little rough inside, so I took it a step further and smoothed out the passages for better flow. Took moderate effort to fine tune the linkage to work right, but haven't had to mess with it since.

George set these carbs up with '41 tops so I could keep the hand choke. Air cleaners from Tom Langdon top 'em off. He had to get me modified air cleaner bases to work with the straight style air horns on the carbs.

Takes longer to warm up, and more choke is necessary, but it runs well and gets slightly better mileage. Power is a lot better but this is also due to making the motor a 230 where as before it was a 218. Most noticeable was a huge increase in low-end ability.

post-1481-0-35868300-1389243194_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-93876700-1389243213_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-65468100-1389243235_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-94252000-1389243286_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-73743800-1389243302_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Cool setup, John.  I still don't know anyone who's used the Offy or other after-market dual setup on one of our trucks.  George's setup using the truck manifold allows for the stock linkage to be retained.  Part of my mods will be to fab a similar bracket between the carb and manifold and spin the carb around to get the linkage on the passenger side so it lines up with the linkage under the floorboard.

Thanks Jim...yeah the original linkage can't be beat! I heard offenhauser castings are prone to quality issues, also their design for our motors puts the carbs so low the flow ain't that great. I like the Edmunds manifolds, however they are rare and expensive. They also have an heat pipe supplied by the engine coolant.

The exterior brazing on the manifold George sold me is untouched. That's how it came and he did a great job. I just deburred the inside.