Oil Cannister "o" ring??

Tusler 49 New Yorker

Hi,

I recently changed the oil for the first time in my newly aquired 49 New Yorker, The eng is all original and had been rebuilt in the 70's.

Any how when I opened the can top to change the WIX 51062 filter I found an "o" ring on the top part that removes. The filters come with gaskets and not "o" rings.

Does anyone know what the part number is for this "o" ring.

Thanks

I  re-use mine on my NewYokers. If you need go to an industrial O-ring supply company and have them size it correctly for fast turn around.

After market oil filters seem to never have that rubber oil filter top cover O-ring for the 1949-50 Chrysler eights. O-rings can be tricky at times to get the right one as the old one might not be the same size as when it was new.

You will need the oil filter housing inner diameter plus the top cover O-ring groove diameter (say 4") plus proper cross section diameter to come up with the correct O-ring.

Bob

post-302-0-39766600-1388024417_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-42190000-1388024433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

If the '49 New Yorker oil filter housing is the same as the one on my '51 Windsor, you could use a Fram CH192PL filter which comes with the correct o-ring and can be found on Rockauto.com. But that filter is listed for '50 to '57 New Yorker, so maybe it won't work - but worst case you could buy the filter just for the o-ring. The more people who buy the CH192PL, the more likely Fram will keep making it!

Another option that's worked for me in the past is to use a water softener o-ring from tractor supply. As unlikely as it sounds, it stopped an oil leak I had when the old o-ring got nicked. These come in packs of three or four different size o-rings. I think the one that fit best for me was blue. Something like this.

Good luck!

Edit: Looks like the Wix 51062 and the Fram CH192PL interchange, so you should be able to use the CH192PL.

Now I remember trying to use the 51062 in the past because it was available locally and having to reuse my o-ring because Wix doesn't supply one with the filter. Which is why my filter housing was leaking and I needed to buy an o-ring from Tractor Supply :huh:

Edited by jsturner

The Sixes and hemi's should use the same filter and O-ring too as mentioned.