1950 Plymouth Brake System Troubleshooting

jeffr777

Hello again all,

My recently acquired 50 Special Deluxe (purchased at an estate auction) has non-functioning brakes...when the brake pedal is depressed, it goes to the floor with no pressure or resistance.  The car appears to be all original and there are no apparent modifications.

Can anyone suggest the best way to troubleshoot the brake system (after making sure the master cylinder has brake fluid in it)?  As you can probably tell I'm relatively new to repairing this vehicle and would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.  I'm also thinking of replacing the master cylinder with a dual-reservoir system and any input would be very helpful  Thank you all again.

Here is what it takes as a minimum for good reliable working brakes.

#1.  A new  master cylinder, 

#2.new metal lines as they rust from outside and inside.

#3 new brake hoses as they swell from inside and crack from outside.

#4 New brake cylinders all around since they rust .

They SELL kits to rebuild cylinder 

(both master and wheel)but cant get them reliable unless you re-sleeve them

Then brake shoes and drums as needed plus hardware.

Shortcuts may lead to no stop when you need to most.

Upgrades to disc brakes and such available 

brakes are like a log chain,,,its as strong as its weakest link,,,,all new is ONLY way to go,,,,oops stop!!!!

Edited by Grdpa's 50 Dodge
  • Like 2

You will also need the approriate tools to work on the brakes and a good drum puller for the rear braskes since they have the tapered axle.

If you have the Lockheed brakes then the use of a borrowed AMMCO Brake gage tool to help set the toe and heel on the shoes.

Might also nees new oil seals and inner and outer bearings.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

For the brakes and the rest of the things you will need to service this vehicle I would recommend a copy of the service manual.  They are available as reprints and on CD.  To supplement that the parts manual can also be useful. Here are a couple of links you might find useful.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=99

• Like 1

Hello again,

Thank you all for the GREAT advice and the links to additional info...I am going to take all of your advice and replace the brake system.  I'm not even remotely interested in discovering at an inopportune time that the brakes have failed!  Thank you all again.

The clutch pedal mounts on the outside of the frame on the drivers side on the P-17 unlike the P-15 series which mount on the master cylinder inside of the frame. In his description he has a 50 Plymouth listed.  It will use the ECI kit with the idler arm to increase stroke same as an automatic equipped P-15 street rod.