1970s-80s Book About Guy Restoring Pilot House Pick-up

Ralph Pearce
Go to solution Solved by B1B Keven,

There was a book written many years ago (70s-80s?) about a guy restoring an old pilot house pick-up.  I'm not sure if it was fiction or non-fiction, but it was written like a journal and not so much as a how-to.  I had it in paperback over 20 years ago and I seem to recall the pick-up on the cover was blue.  I'd like to find the book again if anyone can recall the title, thanks.

Okay, so as soon as I post the question I can suddenly find the answer.  The book is Truck by John Jerome.  It's available on eBay and Amazon.com.  The earlier cover has the blue Pilot House Dodge that I remembered, but for some reason the new cover has like a '55 Chevy pick-up on it. 

I've read it a couple of times.  It is more of a philosofical (sp?) essay than a technical writing.  It was a good read however.  You'll be able to identify with his struggles.  Mike

I've read it a couple of times.  It is more of a philosofical (sp?) essay than a technical writing.  It was a good read however.  You'll be able to identify with his struggles.  Mike

I think I'll wait for the Jeff Balazs book. I've got too much on my plate right now but thanks.

Hank  :lol:

• Like 1

• Solution

The book is still available on Amazon.

If you click the 'used' or 'hardback' you can find the cover with the blue Dodge on it.

Great read! Every time I get discouraged, I pick it up and read about him having to start the

wood burner in the barn!! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Rebuilding-worn-out-posttechnological-adventures/dp/0395250188/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I can't remember exactly when I ordered my copy, probably around '99, but I distinctly remember ordering it cuz there was a Pilot House on the cover and was disappointed at receiving a copy with a chewed up Apache.  I was so miffed I never bothered to crack it open, just put it on the shelf and forgot about it.  Now that I've found it again, flipping thru the pages I see plenty of references to the Pilot House...reckon I ought'a give it a read now that I've grown up a li'l bit :cool:

I just dug my copy out and started reading it again this morning.  I'm at the age that I forget stuff, so its almost like a new read for me.  I do get something more out of it each time I read it.  Mine has the Chebby pic on the cover-maybe we can have a discussion group when we're done and compare notes.  Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished this book this morning during a rain delay...I empathized with the narrative's salty language, high expectations and distractions from the task at hand.  It's a good read for the Pilot House trucker, kinda wonder what happened with that ol' beater since it was 'fixed up' about 40 yrs ago, the serial number reported is not listed on the registry yet... :cool:

Got mine today.  Hardcover with the Blue Pilothouse . Jacket in perfect shape, not a mark in the book, looks like no one ever read it (needs breaking in)

Interesting first line: 

Hank  :)

"A depressingly inefficient system" to have to look up the first line in the book to see what was missing from your post. Which, I guess, given some of the wording in the first sentence might have been censored. :)

• 1 year later...

I just started reading this book again...second time around for me...bringing this old thread back to life again...

Does anybody have any idea where John Jerome's 1950 Dodge truck might be? I think he wrote it (the book) he was living in New Hampshire in the late 1970's.

MikeC

For a similar book I got one called truck a love story for christmas. It tells the story of a guy and his 51 L120 along with battling squirrels, gardening, his girlfriend, etc

Edited by Young Ed

For a similar book I got one called truck a love story for christmas. It tells the story of a guy and his 51 L120 along with battling squirrels, gardening, his girlfriend, etc

Oh my gosh...my most favorite current day author....Michael Perry and his old truck book and his many other small town farm type books...he is an amazing author...

Here is the link to his website...http://sneezingcow.com/

Thanks for the reply.

MikeC

John Jerome was a Car&Driver editor and also wrote about swimming  Several years ago, a friend who I've know since High School mentioned that at one point he corresponded with Mr. Jerome about his swimming books.  My friend was as surprised to hear about the automotive book as I was to hear about the swimming book.  Unfortunately John Jerome passed away a few years ago.  No idea of the whereabouts of the Dodge.