Flathead Powered T Bucket

chop

So like a Heim joint setup from the frame to a long bolt that passes through the block adapter and the tranny ear with room to mount the heim.......would that help with the twist?

It wouldn't even need to be that sophisticated. A lever arm, attached to the block/adapter, extending to/above(?) the frame. I would use a rubber cushion at the end so that the arm did not have metal-to-metal contact at the frame.

The farther away from the crank centerline the better, and the smaller the 'brace' needs to be.

• Like 1

My 2 cents would be to try to support the engine at the rear some where near the bell housing similar to the stock situation. I realize the trans mount is factory as far as the trans is concerned, however that design was made to work with an engine supported left and right at the front. This design limits torque twist at the front, the old mopar design limited torque twist at the rear. With only the floating power front mount and the narrow and far back trans mount, the power train is essentially mounted on two narrow

points along its centerline. Granted the front floating power mount spreads the load to the frame right and left, but it doesn't do much to or provide much resistance to twist. Neither does the single center rear mount.

• Like 2

FYI the flathead sixes that wre in the late sixties mopars (let's say torsion bar suspension cars 1957 and later had motor mounts on the sides (to correspond with the wide block 318s and the big blocks).These were achived with a different plate between the block and the timing chain cover. Check it out!

Look hard... This is on. 1957 Plymouth Savoy

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35634&start=151

Scroll down to see the fatty... And as I said, look hard

Edited by MiltYergens

Milt & Frank........thanks for showing that link and pic.......have learnt something today.......many thanks...................andyd

Awesome thread! Years ago when I first joined this forum I was going to hot rod out a Pilothouse pickup. Time has morphed that into a Model A with a 265 Mopar - I keep looking for pictures and ideas from others that have done similar swaps, but the net doesn't seem to reveal much. Your bucket looks awesome and I love the color!

Don - do you have any other pictures or video of that Model A?