Help - Disc Brake Conversion - Who is the supplier????

ol'skool

Here are some pictures of the spindles and of the rear axle set up.  I'm trying to figure out who supplied the kits.  I haven't been able to figure it looking at pictures on the inter web.  Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.  I know the calipers are GM.  The rotors, bearings, not so sure of.  Maybe a picture of the spacer used on the spindle will point me in the direction.  Would like to know for ordering replacement parts if necessary.  

post-3387-0-74254700-1387384769_thumb.jpgpost-3387-0-75822900-1387384790_thumb.jpgpost-3387-0-10767800-1387384809_thumb.jpg

Here are some pictures of the spindles and of the rear axle set up.  I'm trying to figure out who supplied the kits.  I haven't been able to figure it looking at pictures on the inter web.  Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.  I know the calipers are GM.  The rotors, bearings, not so sure of.  Maybe a picture of the spacer used on the spindle will point me in the direction.  Would like to know for ordering replacement parts if necessary.  

One of the big reasons why I prefer stock. Parts may be hard to find but you know what you are looking for.

AND...why it is so important when modifying a car or at that fact buying one that has been modified that you get a copy of the build sheet and any and all schematic changes upgrades..anyone building a car and not make or retain documentation such as this run the very risk of unknown later..think you will always remember ...don't count on it...I now keep this data on the computer...but when I did the 41 Dodge and sold it years ago I made sure the new owner understood the very importance of protecting that book that came with the vehicle as it had all parts sources by make and year, part numbers of items from big box stores, mods and wiring changes documented..

I highly recommend anyone making changes to annotate said changes and keep a copy with the vehicle

The holes are not tapped for bolts. Nut and bolt.  Use a very thin head to clear the rotor.  So, I doubt it's rusty hopes.  Plydo it could be.  Not sure.  Isn't he gone now???  Believe me I have looked at the kits online and none of them use the spacer pictured.  The brackets are also different.  I looked at scarebird and their kits are also different for the front.  The rear I have no idea.  Looks like GM calipers but other than that, you got me.  Also, no more debating, save that for another forum.  I don't care about documents or what should have, could have or would have.  That's all irrelevant to me.  This was done 7-11 years ago from a two or more previous owner before my customer.  All I want to know, if possible, is who's kits are these if anyone knows, great, if not, ok.  I'll deal with it.  

Edited by ol'skool

The holes are not tapped for bolts. Nut and bolt.  Use a very thin head to clear the rotor.  So, I doubt it's rusty hopes.  Plydo it could be.  Not sure.  Isn't he gone now???  Believe me I have looked at the kits online and none of them use the spacer pictured.  The brackets are also different.  I looked at scarebird and their kits are also different for the front.  The rear I have no idea.  Looks like GM calipers but other than that, you got me.  Also, no more debating, save that for another forum.  I don't care about documents or what should have, could have or would have.  That's all irrelevant to me.  This was done 7-11 years ago from a two or more previous owner before my customer.  All I want to know, if possible, is who's kits are these if anyone knows, great, if not, ok.  I'll deal with it.  

If may be irrelevant to you as was done 7-11 years ago what was used..however your very question is how you go about finding what it is so to get parts today.   To me that is totally relevant yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Is it possible to go back to the PO(s) and ask them... that is, if they are still in the area...I do sympathize with your issue and while my comment may not help you at this time...it was my intend to convey to the folks today that is doing this same modification now that there is an importance that this data be documented...a thread reply can help more than one person....

Is there any more information you can get from the sticker on the rear brake caliper bracket?  Something "STAR" is plainly printed on the sticker and more info may be there if removed from the axle.  You may have a combination of two different manufacturers.  Just because holes in the spindles weren't tapped, doesn't mean they should not have been and were then installed incorrectly.

I will look at the spindles more but I do think they drilled out the holes for a 5/8 bolt. No chance of tapping it then. I do have another set of spindles that are untouched and I could drill and tap. Will look at the rear axle for that tag. I may just swap it out and use the 8 1/4 that came with the car. Easier to get brake parts and easier to service. The hubs are pressed back on this axle so changing the rotor would be a job.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think a qualified brake shop could identify the mystery parts, after all thats what they do.    I installed front disc brakes on my 1941 Fargo,  the kit came from Butches Rod Shop,  they had a web catalogue of brake conversion kits, they may still be in business.

The kit consisted of 1970's camareo calipers, spacers, seals, I just purchased the rotors put it all together with disc drum master cylinder, it has not given me any trouble over the years.

Bob

Vancouver Island

Theres a fella on this forum, his name is "Olddaddy" aka Charlie that makes a disc brake conversion kit. i just ordered mine from him for the front axle of my '52 pilothouse, hes a very knowledgeable and nice guy. You can go to his website, see the link below. He may be able to help you ID the parts.

http://www.rustyhope.com/contactandordering.html

-Chris

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Scarebird??????????????

If what I have read of others on this forum is consistent with my memory, the units that utilized the scarebird set up, your hub is original with the rivets cut and the drum removed and you use a top hat style rotor instead of a integral hub/rotor assembly.  This may be the identifier/weed-out for these folks...