Pilothouse Pickup Bed Reflooring

I am by profession a teacher and a publisher. Recently I finished installing a new wood floor in my own Pilothouse B1B. It was a struggle, for I had never done this job before.

If any of you contemplate this job yourself, you may find it helpful to read the two-part article I have added to the technical archives. Please feel free to add your suggestions to my own ideas on this project.:)

Thanks

• Like 1

Great piece! It was very well written, and you obviously took some time putting it together.

Friday I ordered new bedstrips and bolts for my stakebed, and a local hardwood dealer has the 1" white oak for the job. After reading your posts, I realized that I had not ordered the rubber pads that will be needed.

Thanks for sharing the information, Dave.

• 7 years later...
JBNeal, on 07 Nov 2014 - 9:19 PM, said:

I was not able to find Dave's article in the technical archive, and it looks like the links on the DPETCA website are dead, with the exception of the pdf link...anybody know where the originals went?

Might be on the discs from the old forum. I will look tomorrow.

This morning I dug out a disc from the old forum format when a refresh was done after around a thousand postings. I started with refresh # 45 dated 1-20-04 and went through every refresh on the disc ending in #69 dated 9-9-04. During this time Grey Beard made no postings. I did run across a few names such as Pizza Frank, Nelson, John Burke, and Normscoupe. Sad to say these guys have all passed on but I miss them all.

He had a computer glitch that prevented him from posting on the forum so he just dropped out. I communicated with him via email when this new format came on line and invited him to come back. As far as I know he still has his truck, but he's into other things now too, including vintage tractors.

Merle

I think he sold his truck to a neighbor about a year ago. Amember in the Indianapolis area wanted it at graybeard's price and he missed it by a day. Graybeard walked me through my overhaul of my flathead. I cut and pasted his instructions and did exactly as he said. When I buttoned it all up, it started up and runs better today after a few thousand miles on it.

He had a computer glitch that prevented him from posting on the forum so he just dropped out. I communicated with him via email when this new format came on line and invited him to come back. As far as I know he still has his truck, but he's into other things now too, including vintage tractors.

Merle

Now I remember (I think) asking this question a while ago and I think you replied the same at that time too, haha. Sorry for the repeat :-)

Well, when I first joined the forum, Dave was a frequent talker on here and he helped me a lot when I was starting to do major work on my truck. Plus, he gave me a horn.

A nod to Grey Beard!

I did a thread on the top posters on the forum. I was interested to learn of the few guys who are still on the first page and have since passed.

I tip my hat to all who make that kind of effort and have such a lasting effect.

Top posters thread 2012

Top posters 2014

48D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

was doing a search, pushed the right buttons, and answered my own question :cool:

grey beard's pickup bed reflooring part 1
grey beard's pickup bed reflooring part 2

it looks like that pdf link is out of order as well...

I was not able to find Dave's article in the technical archive, and it looks like the links on the DPETCA website are dead, with the exception of the pdf link...anybody know where the originals went?

Edited by JBNeal
  • Like 1