R7 OD in a 50 Plymouth with a 251 Flathead

50Gravesend

I have a 1950 Plymouth Deluxe that I dropped a 251 flathead six into from a 1952 DeSoto. I used the 1950 bell housing, clutch setup and the stock 3 speed manual transmission as it bolted right up and its what I had. I have a chance to buy an R7 overdrive and I need to know if it'll be a bolt for bolt swap. What will I need to make it work properly? Is there a specific model number that I need? I know the R-7 was made for other vehicles but I have no idea which one would fit my 50 Plymouth. I've done some research but the more information I have the better I'll feel about driving 600 miles to get that R7. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

The R7 is column shift OD trans that was used in the 1939-40 chrysler six and Eight cylinder cars- 1941 chrysler eights too but hooked up to the vacamatic trans.Also same as used in the 1939-40 DeSotos .

I once put an R7 in my 1951 cranbrook and it worked just fine. As I recall I had to swap the rear U-joint flange and wire it up so it would kick down on forced down shifts. It was a bolt in-just make sure the input shaft bushing area is the same position and diameter!

I bought an R7 from Asche and it was a direct bolt on to my 1950 Meadowbrook. The only required change was a longer speedo cable. Sure, it's all mechanical aside from the kick down solenoid and relay (unlike the R10, the solenoid is only activated during the kick down), but that's why I like it. Works like a charm and I get 22 mpg if I drive around 50 in od mode.