SoCal Old Mopar Breakfast Cruise-In

mrwrstory

Ok......very short version of a true story.

Back in the mid 90s I worked with a fellow named Steve who bought a luxury version of a Grand Cherokee. The spare was located inside the rear luggage compartment on these vehicles. He joined a off road class at a local JC that taught off road driving and sponsored a group expedition at the end of the class to some of the most remote sections of Baja. In this class he learned about soft sand driving and the importance of deflating the tires when operating in soft sand. The instructor suggested that they all carry a portable 12V compressor for topping up their tires after getting out of the soft sand stretches. But Steve had a better idea.....

Flash forward several months after their Baja trip. Oh and btw they never got into any soft sand. One afternoon during the heat of summer he was heading back to the office from a meeting at a customer when his solution to soft sand air supply let go. You see he had inflated his spare to at least 125# and had a hose which he was going to transfer air with....... :eek: He had forgot all about the over inflated spare and was driving on a very busy road with all his windows up and the A/C running when it let go.

I saw the car and it looked like someone had tossed a grenade into it. The roof was deformed..the rear door was sprung.....and.at least 2 windows had blown out and the upholstery was shredded. When a steel belted radial explodes it is extremely nasty. How he was not hit by anything was a miracle. The only damage he sustained was ear drums. Unbelievable but true. He didn't think it was too funny when I super glued a tire valve to the roof......but it was appropriate.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff that reminds me of my own tire exploding story. When I was a teen myself and 2 buddies were spending the night in the garage. We had been banned from the house for being too loud. It was a little chilly so we had a fire going in the stove. Well about 2am we must have put one too many sticks on the fire and the tire of Dads bicycle that was hanging from the ceiling exploded. No flying bits like your story but it sure scared the you know what out of us.

Hey Ed;

A stove in the garage.......definitely a regional thing. We could have all used A/C here this year.... ;)

I bet that got your attention and you were just kids. :) 

The fellow in my story was in his 50's and an engineer. Should have known better. I worked around him for years and he was pretty useless and a total slacker. Just goes to show you ....passing the written tests and getting a license means absolutely nothing. I can't even begin to tell you how many messes of his we all had to clean up. In his case it was who he knew.....and not what he knew. On top of being an embarrassment to the profession he had a very high opinion of himself. :huh:

I will tell you when I saw his car and heard the real story I laughed until I was in tears. Couldn't of happened to a more deserving person. The Cherokee by the way was a total write off. I wish I had pictures. Just goes to show you that you don't need fire to create an explosion.

Jeff

Jeff the bike tire was a total write off too :) Yes we were just teens and while I'm sure we all knew that heat rises I guess none of us realized that a bike hanging from the ceiling was that much hotter than we were.

Ed;

:) Yes there is nothing quite like those "physics" lessons of our youth to put a smile on our faces. They surely form a lasting impression.

I well remember an experience I had at around age 8. My Dad and I had built a red box kite which I decided to fly in the field at the end of our street. I chose a good blustery day for it's debut. In no time at all I had it up and to the end of the ball of line I had. Pretty soon after adding 2 or 3 more spools of kite string it was up much higher than any of us had ever got our kites. My Dad finally came down to check on us kids and after much pestering he went back home and got his huge spool of sisal twine. I have no idea of how much line we got out that day but the kite was just a fly speck in the sky. And then as night approached it was time to try and bring the kite down. OMG! I sure learned about line drag that evening!!! It pulled like an elephant. Got about a mile of twine back when it finally parted. Try as I may I couldn't get Dad to take me looking for that kite. :lol:

Jeff

• 1 year later...

Gents,  I'd like to revive this Socal thread.  Would anyone like to get together in Los Angeles for a group ride on a Sunday morning?  

Thanks,

FG.

Sounds good. Maybe after the holidays, when things slow down a bit.

I'm always up for one of these. Just never sure if the truck will be with me.

I'm with Deathbound, likely after the Holidays.

(And yes, I'll bring the brake tool again -LOL )

Edited by TrampSteer

Yes! I'm up for a weekend cruise. True after the Holiday season might be best for most, But anytime in So Cal is a Great Day for a  Drive and Gathering ( Unless it's 5 PM on Friday ) Post when and where and we'll see who shows.

Hey Folks,

I've had a few people reach out to me.  I however did not expect people to be so spread away from each other.  Some of us are in LA, OC and SD Counties with the majority being in LA County.  Originally I was planning on having a meet at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank to have a good Mopar showing.  But the way it looks like, it might not be a bad idea to do that *and* have something in OC as it is the smack dab in the middle.  @Jeff, I'm curious, when would be good for you to host?  Also, what kind of shop?

Thanks,

Jon/FG

I could host a small gathering at my shop in Irvine after New Years. It's located right off the El Toro Y (5 and 405).

Knowlwoods Burgers is a short distance away at the old Citrus Packing plant next to the 5 and Sand Canyon.

Jeff

Know the area well, worked on the new 22 story by the Spectrum. After the holidays, just about any weekend, Sat. or Sun. works for me.

Go for it Guys, The 17th is a birthday weekend for me. So plan it and I'll try and save it . Keep me informed, Not sure if Hank will make the drive out to the OC but I'll be there if I can.

Alright folks, I am not sure if my car is going into the shop for body and paint around that time...so I'll say let's meet on January 17th.  I'll be there regardless as I'd like to meet you guys and share about our cars.  So far we have:

-  Don Jordan

-  Jeff B

-  Me

-  RodFru2u

-  mrwrstory

-  deathbound

@Jeff, what time is good?  And what is the address of your shop?

Thanks,

FG.

• Like 1