230 Plymouth 251 Chrystler/Desoto Carburator differences

40desoto

So here its begins....  As I start putting my 230 together Im starting to notice the differences in some items.  Today I just noticed the difference in carb mounting bases between the 230 and 251 intake.    I had just rebuilt the stromberg carb that was on my 251 but noticed that it will not mount to my 230 intake.

Im assuming one is a single barrel while the other is a 2 barrel carb. 

I find it interesting that the 251 would use a single barrel while the 230 used a two barrel???

Should I just look for a two barrel carb for this intake or find an adapter to mount this single barrel carb to this intake..  

Also where can I find a diagram on the carburator linkage on the 230.  I have some pictures of how it was on my 251 but Im assuming there is going to be some differences.

post-4811-0-64851300-1386308210_thumb.jpg

The 1956 Plymouth's used the 2bbl carb. 131 HP with 203 lbs torque. A 2bbl stromberg was used. I think some Dodges were the same 2bbl setup. A rare manifold to see these days.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The two bbl intake is a kind of a rare item.  They were offered for one or two years (56 and 57) they did bump the HP by 8 over the single barrel. The original carb was a Carter BBS they were used on small V8' the slant 6 powerpack, and the AMC JEEP 4.2 and 4.0 until replaced by FI.  Simple carb who's major fault was a rough idle and off idle stumble, as they aged.  There are fixes listed and discussed on various forums for these problems.  If you want to run the single barrel, you should probably look for a proper intake which should be easy to locate for not much money.  The linkage uses a bell crank mounted to a stud on the cylindeer head to tranfer forward and back motion from the gas pedal to left to right motion for the carb.  An after market cable can be adapted for that use as long as it is mounted to pull in the direction of throttle movement to Wide open.  The stock carbs were closed toward the pass side and WO when pulled to the drivers side.

I did not know that the 1BBL Carter BBS carbs were used on the small Mopar V8's and the 2BBL six intake. I have seen the BBD's on the V8 and later slant sixes.

The seller of this engine threw  in 3 old carbs,  I believe two carter or ball and ball, and one stromberg.  I believe they are from an later model car. 

I was really looking forward to using my newly rebuilt Stromber BVX-7 carb.

I think Im going to look into getting one of those old 3 carbs rebuilt and using one of those instead.  The concern I have know is to figure out how to modify a throttle linkage for it since the original had right/left motion on the throttle and these 3 old carbs seems to have a forward/back motion on the throttle.

I really liked the old style bellcrank and liked the way a lever opend up the throttle when the manual started is engaged.

I will post some pics of these old carbs.

Thank you all for the great info.

Edited by 40desoto

You probably should find the cheap and common 1BBL intake manifold for the Plymouth and dodge 218/230 to make it a simple linkage installation. The everything will just bolt up as you want it. You would want the taller Ball and Ball carter carb too. A D6H2 is commonly used on all 1949-52 plymouths and is a good carb. JMO

Bob

All those carbs are incorrect for the 2 BBL manifold. Those are late 60-70's V8 BBD Carter 2 BBL carbs.

So as I begin to scrounge and collect all the pieces to begin putting together the throttle linkage I noticed that i have 3 different sets and all are different.

I would like to to stay with the design that was on my 251 because I liked the way the mechanical starter button pushes a lever that slightly hits the throttle cable opens up the throttle as the starter engages.  I dont see this feature on the other linkage setups. 

Does anyone have any pictures of a fully assembled setup like the one pictured below?  It came of a Chrystler/Desoto 251 engine.  I took it off months back but took not pictures of it before I dissasembled it. 

It would like to see where the return spring mounts and how the wire loom mounts.  If I remember correctly it mounts on the same bolt as the throttle linkage assembly?

post-4811-0-68615800-1386484307_thumb.jpeg

post-4811-0-45555000-1386484315_thumb.jpg

Edited by 40desoto

Holy bellcranks Batman, thats different from most I have ever seen.  there is probably just a rod that goes across the head.  might have a turnbuckle kind of deal or a threaded sleeve for some adjust-ability.  If you use that carb on an adapter you are going to need to have it longer than stock.  You could make something up out of all thread as a temporary piece.  All thread has those long nuts that would give some adjustment, or you can pick up a couple of those Mr. Gasket ball joint ends and I believe they also sell rods on various lengths.  Available from parts stores or Summit etc.

mrg-3810g_w_ml.jpg

Search google images. This is what I came up with in 2 minutes for 1941 chrysler engine...

post-302-0-56770700-1386518298_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-65976800-1386518312_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-06381800-1386518329_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the pics. I've been searching for pics but most had an obstructive view of the thingamabober. I was searching 251 flathead. Or chrystler 250. 251 etc.. And these images didn't come up.

This setup I have is from a 251 engine and it worked beautifully. I'll need to make some adjustments as the head bolts are closer together and I'm assuming the block is a bit narrower as well.