New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

Also what are your plans for the 4th pole on your solenoid?

I'm going to be running it to a solid grounding point. Unsure yet as American auto wire calls for it to go to the ignition coil but I think in there diagram the solenoid has both Run and start terminals.

Edited by kented

I suggest you ohm it out to find out what is hot and when. On my 4 pole solenoid the 4th pole is hot only when the starter button is energized. If yours is the same and you run your 4th pole directly to ground you will be creating a direct short circuit to ground every time you start the engine.

Have you incorporated a ballast resistor in your system connected prior to the ignition coil to drop voltage to something less than 12 volts? What I did with the 4th pole on my solenoid is connect it directly to the coil by-passing the resistor. This in effect supplies a full 12 volts to the ignition system every time I energize the starter circuit thus insuring a good hot spark during start-up.

If you do this be aware that if you use a remote starter button when working on the engine your ignition will go hot with the key in the off position every time you remotely energize the starter. To avoid this I simply disconnect the coil wire every time I use the remote starter button.

I suggest you ohm it out to find out what is hot and when. On my 4 pole solenoid the 4th pole is hot only when the starter button is energized. If yours is the same and you run your 4th pole directly to ground you will be creating a direct short circuit to ground every time you start the engine.

Have you incorporated a ballast resistor in your system connected prior to the ignition coil to drop voltage to something less than 12 volts? What I did with the 4th pole on my solenoid is connect it directly to the coil by-passing the resistor. This in effect supplies a full 12 volts to the ignition system every time I energize the starter circuit thus insuring a good hot spark during start-up.

If you do this be aware that if you use a remote starter button when working on the engine your ignition will go hot with the key in the off position every time you remotely energize the starter. To avoid this I simply disconnect the coil wire every time I use the remote starter button.

That makes more sense. The American autowire diagram does call for it to go to the coil. I have a stovebolt HEI mini mopar distributor and it says to remove all resistors going to the coil.

• 2 weeks later...

More wiring today, 

Made all the connections for the steering column connector  

20140621_135301_zps8iiu2ys6.jpg

did a mock up of the cloth loom on the turn signal wiring

20140621_140022_zps8hcv4rtm.jpg

more wires haha

20140621_140754_zpsxeynd9lo.jpg

lights all wired in for the gauges 

20140621_144856_zpspcrbfohx.jpg

referencing the manual for the starter switch points

20140621_145653_zpsmafgund4.jpg

Can someone tell me what this wire is for? Located drivers side rear wheel well. Cant find it on the diagram and havnt had a chance to jack the car up to see 

20140621_154058_zpsvhesonjj.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by kented

Power to brake light switch and return wire from same from dash area via the wires run over doors under headliner.  Brake switch is located on inside of frame, driver side, just forward of rear tire under car.

Keep it up!

DJ

• Like 1

Wiring diagrams don't show where wire are located!  Too bad though!

You welcome kented.

DJ

Wiring diagrams don't show where wire are located!  Too bad though!

You welcome kented.

DJ

Yeah for sure, with work the wiring is all in the panel infront no need to search for anything haha! 

Dash wiring something like this?post-3654-0-23753600-1403406944_thumb.jpg

DJ

Something like that. Havnt started much of the dash other than the lights and ignition switch. That picture will come in handy for sure though, thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

No car updates but was in Portland over the weekend and came across this:

20140712_174020_zpsye0juaxj.jpg

Its infront of whats now a parking lot which may have actually been a potential dealership? Unsure. Adding driving there in the coupe to the bucket list.

Another angle:

20140712_174042_zps7mzmrcrr.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Little more wiring action from today. Cloth loomed up some of the pieces.

20140726_132539_zpst3c3ocpp.jpg

I mounted 2 heavy duty terminal strips on the rear of the support

20140726_143103_zpsd36mw7ry.jpg

Trunk wiring in action haha. Still havnt removed the film on the battery box and cut the rods to length.

20140726_135700_zps4ufq102e.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry... Any updates. I'm enjoying the thread.

Thanks for your interest! Have not had much time to work on it. Was out at the car today and finished the wiring in the trunk and loomed some of the under dash wiring. Nothing too interesting to take a picture of. I'm hoping to have it back on the road end of Sept! Will update when I can :)

-Kent

• 4 weeks later...

August was a crazy month so didn't get a lot done. Bent the alt bracket to get it to work with the new alt.

IMG_20140914_153821_zpsinjscplb.jpg

Worked out pretty well.

Roughed in the spark plug wires. Liking the look of these "new" old braided wires. Trying to get a good mirror image of front 3 & back 3.

IMG_20140914_162233_zpslax7fc9g.jpg

Still need to order a radiator. Hopefully on the road before the end of the year :)