New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

Put in the headlights and running lights/turn signals

IMG_20140928_161612_zpspy5t9yls.jpg

IMG_20140928_161618_zpsetdmjxfv.jpg

Headlights are H4 with a European lense which I think has a better pattern than the standard lense

download_zps2uo9pcqw.jpg

Running lights have orange bulbs in them which will have a orange glow during operation and a bright orange flash for turn signals

• Like 1

I read (redd) someplace that when British cars came out of the Chunnel into France, they needed prisms on their headlights to change the beams from left-strong to right-strong.  Maybe now they have ambidextrous headlights for travel on the continent.  

I'm left-handed, and it runs in my family.  It's OK, except that right-handed people think that they are always right, and that we lefties are sinister and gauche.   (Pronounced go-sh, meaning clumsy and socially unsophisticated.)

I find the word clumsy so much easier to spell...

Don't like pseudo-Latin? :)

You'd probably get a kick out of one of the things mentioned by the instructor early in the first "first responder" class I took: "Never say bleed when hemorrhage will do"

• 2 weeks later...

Today I ordered a full gasket set, new thermostat, new water pump, oil filter, metal fuel filter, new front and rear shocks. Full gasket set is a couple weeks away so Im just waiting for everything to go and pick it up.

Should be out at the car again on the 18th and the plan is to spend a solid day and get it running :)

I'll keep you guys posted

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get the car into my friends shop today. Nice dry place to work in and sure beats the tent!

IMG_20141018_154803_zpsuuvjavll.jpg

IMG_20141018_154749_zpsyzjjcubu.jpg

New fuel filter, existing one was the see through plastic one which i think is a huge fire hazzard

IMG_20141018_160513_zpsn92ox5mi.jpg

New water pump & 180F thermostat 

IMG_20141018_132847_zpsrkchwv5w.jpg

As you can see ive run the loomed wires against the block trying to keep them out of sight as possible, friend made a bracket to fit the ignition coil to the existing base, finished all the plug wires and wiring 

IMG_20141018_145446_zpsmeoavbmb.jpg

IMG_20141018_145457_zpsoldlo2en.jpg

Ended up fairly symmetrical. 

Hopefully have the car running next saturday, Getting it up on the lift to replace the all 4 shocks, coolant, oil, trans and rear end oil. Couple more wires to run inside the fender to get to the headlights and get her out on the open road :)

Your car looks nice & I know what you mean about getting the plug wires symmetrical....I'm the same way. I like what you did with the HEI coil.

The acronym HEI jumped out at me.  I think that means High Energy Ignition and assumed that applied to 12v systems.  What does anyone know about that?  I love the look of those plug wires but have been told they're no good for "modern electronic ignitions".

If the response gets extensive, I'd start another thread so's not to hijack kented's subject. original

The acronym HEI jumped out at me. I think that means High Energy Ignition and assumed that applied to 12v systems. What does anyone know about that? I love the look of those plug wires but have been told they're no good for "modern electronic ignitions".

If the response gets extensive, I'd start another thread so's not to hijack kented's subject. original

Yes that's correct the car is going to 12V. Battery is in the trunk. For an explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_ignition

I haven't heard anything about the wires but they are good quality and just made to look old. I guess I'll find out next week haha!

Electronic Igns. may use hall effect(flying magnet pickup) or a system that uses a light that is triggered in the dist. (older models).

newer used sensors on the crankshaft or a special crank mounted pulley. Newer diesels also use a crank position sensor for pollution controls of timing and fuel.

From what I have read many times they all gas powered vechicles require resistor wires and plugs, otherwise the control module can overheat and burn out.

They now make old look wires that are resistor type.

Don't know if kented used them or solid type wires that Are not recommended.

DJ

DJ

Installed new shocks all around today:

IMG_20141025_142217_zpsjpnw5a6b.jpg

Only got pictures of the new back ones. Did an oil change on the diff, judging by the blackness of the oil and the debris around the bolts i dont think the oil has been changed for a LONG time. 

Im having an issue with moving the car in backwards. The drivers side rear wheel will rotate forwards fine but in reverse it comes to a dead stop after a revolution or 2. Once the car is on the ground you can definately feel it catch but then with the momentum it overcomes the catch. Any ideas? 

Fill the radiator up with fresh coolant, found 3 leaks on the top tank. Awesome. Ordering a new one soon. 

Also having another issue getting the car started. Finally re-wire was at a point where i could start it but the new solenoid i purchased was dead! Happy it was not my wiring haha! Some history: Car ran fine and drove until NOV 2013, it was parked until now while the re-wire happened. I put in fuel stabilizer as i knew it would be awhile before it started again. Followed the stovebolt instructions as the car now has an mopar mini hei. Ive got fuel, good spark but nothing is happening other than some backfires, car seems to try to start as it drops out the starter. We tried some liquid fire to get it going but that didnt seem to help. Any ideas on these issues? i'm fairly confident we have the timing correct as we checked about 3 times. 

Thanks in advance for your help

Hiccup in backup?  Did you have the driver's side back wheel jacked up when you rotated it?  Was the other wheel on the ground?  Would it act the same if the right wheel were jacked up?

With one wheel on the ground, rotating the other wheel moves the driveshaft, emergency brake drum, and transmission shafts.  

Try jacking up the other rear wheel and see if you get the same effect.  

Hiccup in backup?  Did you have the driver's side back wheel jacked up when you rotated it?  Was the other wheel on the ground?  Would it act the same if the right wheel were jacked up?

With one wheel on the ground, rotating the other wheel moves the driveshaft, emergency brake drum, and transmission shafts.  

Try jacking up the other rear wheel and see if you get the same effect.  

Sorry i should of been more specific. The car was up on the lift, passenger rear wheel rotates no issues at all forwards and backwards. Drivers side wheel forwards is fine but after a revolution or 2 it locks up. The car does stop when in neutral and being pushed in reverse. The will a little rocking it will finally be able to move. 

Any ideas on the no start? :)

Edited by kented