New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

I too have a 49 BC, have driven it all over the US. What I did was convert to 12v using a Rhode Island wiring kit, at the same time repainted the motor and engine bay, I converted the 6v generator to 12 volt, works fine, looks good and didn't need to change the pulleys for the belt size. I also have an R10 overdrive, just converted the front to disc brakes. Plan on driving it to the summer POC meet in MIchiigan

how did you convert the generator? 

Edited by kented

All of this talk of conversion makes a purist want to cry. My other car is an '01 Regal GS (with supercharger). I do my upgrades on it, and keep my classic a classic. Just my two cents. Enjoy your car and welcome to the forum.

All of this talk of conversion makes a purist want to cry. My other car is an '01 Regal GS (with supercharger). I do my upgrades on it, and keep my classic a classic. Just my two cents. Enjoy your car and welcome to the forum.

So i should probably keep the fact the car will eventually have air ride and 4 link to myself? haha thanks! 

So i should probably keep the fact the car will eventually have air ride and 4 link to myself? haha thanks! 

Oh that car is so beautiful to begin with..  But indeed it is your car to enjoy as you like, but wouldnt a cadi be better for baggin'?  SMH.  ;)

I think that car would look way cool slammed.  'Tho for me, not to the degree you couldn't drive it lowered.  Also, bags are another system you gotta install and maintain.  My wish for you is to proceed with your own vision and not have any second thoughts later on.

Edited by mrwrstory

Finally got the manual i ordered awhile ago: 

20140111_142511_zpsklhkyoye.jpg

Starting to read, lots to learn! 

that books loooks to good to be original ?  where did  you get it ide like to have one for my  40  dodge,im sure a 40  plymouth  may be the same thanks in advance

that books loooks to good to be original ?  where did  you get it ide like to have one for my  40  dodge,im sure a 40  plymouth  may be the same thanks in advance

Yeah its a re-print of the original. I got it from KMS car parts which is a local supplier. I'll get you the name of the actual reprint company on friday when im back in town. 

Found some pictures of the car before it came into my ownership: 

How the car was purchased in California 

ply8_zpsccc496c7.jpg

Car accross the border

ply4_zpsed0c94eb.jpg

ply3_zps4bcc3499.jpg

New white walls installed

ply2_zpsacda469e.jpg

ply1_zps89d0b0f1.jpg

Full set of these came with the car, just need to modify the front's to clear the grease caps, i think they're from a mercury? not sure

ply7_zps1094258e.jpg

Photo from a local car show, unknown photographer or lady in the car...unfortunately  :P

ply6_zps0aa2a6e1.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by kented

Yeah its a re-print of the original. I got it from KMS car parts which is a local supplier. I'll get you the name of the actual reprint company on friday when im back in town. 

yes  please do,,, and  car looks good with those bullit   hub caps

• 1 month later...

Finally got to spend a little bit of time on it 

20140405_131023_zpslonjyxum.jpg

20140405_134606_zpsq8xb1yb2.jpg

Removed most of the factory wiring to make way for the re-wire, starting to put together a plan of where to run the wires so they're mostly hidden. 

Took out the radiator to get cleaned and tested. Generator removed for alternator. Battery will be going in the trunk. Its a start! haha

Edited by kented

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled out the gauge panel to re-wire and change the bulbs to 12V. Im in the process of removing the glass from each individual gauge, cleaning up the faces and glass then re-sealing. Im looking at the wiring diagram but cant figure out if the panel light goes to all the dash lights and makes them adjustable or it goes to another sort of "map" light which i doubt the car has since its so basic. Any ideas? Also when i was taking the panel out 2 brittle plastic clips broke which look as if they hold the top part of the panel in place. They may have been rubber at one point but not anymore haha

Heres some pictures of the gauges, not going to touch the faces of the gauges but the glass was fairly dirty and the existing sealer was cracked. Re-sealed with some silicone 

20140507_150948_zpsjtbblss7.jpg

20140507_151246_zpsv62y5tmq.jpg

20140507_155050_zpsybwfj7up.jpg

Can't see for sure but it looks like your guages might use the same rubber rope like stuff for a seal between glass and housing that my 46 truck uses. If so bring parts of it to the hardware store and match it up to the right size window screen spline.

It was all cracked and in terrible shape. I used some marine silicone as a seal which stays flexible, Made a nice bead and sat the lens on top. Glass cleaned up really nice compared to before much clearer. Don't mind the missing panel light knob

20140507_194920_zpsz6xg9emo.jpg 

Original seal was a Very thin rubber gasket that over the years just melded into a black mess that creaped out onto the glass to look terrible!

I did the same as kented a scraped the goo off with a razor blade, cleaned the lens and put a very small bead of silicone sealer to replace the rubber seal. Works out great.

Years ago say one seller on ebay with nos gauge rubber sealers at $15 each! Not for me, thanks.

Doug

Put the hubcaps on 

20140511_110907_zpsw54ereel.jpg

My helper for the day discovered how comfy the bench seat is!

20140511_120801_zpsea223si7.jpg

Still waiting on parts. Won't be back till the 24th

Edited by kented

• 1 month later...

Got the alternator mocked up

20140607_155645_zpsvcvmck58.jpg

Made a bracket for the solenoid, mega fuse and new fuse block 20140607_141802_zpsg6twulmc.jpg

20140607_141752_zpshw6qcgv6.jpg

Started to run some wires and mounted the battery box in the trunk but forget to take pictures

• Like 1

Great pictures!!!  Keep em coming.  I just bought a 51 Cambridge Club Coupe 2 mos ago as a surprise for my bride and am looking forward to the restoration this fall.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Don..I do not know of any wide pulleys for the Mopar alternator..one major set back when choosing this beast..best alternator you can get but does have a limitation when it comes to belt size,,,and...as most folks upgrade to an alt and 12 volts some will in the future look to AC..the narrow belt will be the better choice in the long run..