New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

Looking at info on how to remove rear axel shafts without original tool. I've confirmed the rim and brake drum are not bent and it's the actual axel itself. Has anyone removed one before? I've rear about using a slide hammer as an option. Thanks in advance!

Remove the drum, and the five bolts holding the backing plate to the axle housing. If you have a long enough brake line, you can slide the backing plate over the axle and wire it out of the way. Usually the axle will come out easily. If not, put the drum back on, the washer and nut, leave the nut loose and use the drum as a slide hammer. Be sure to put the shims back where they were to maintain axle end play.

18 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

Remove the drum, and the five bolts holding the backing plate to the axle housing. If you have a long enough brake line, you can slide the backing plate over the axle and wire it out of the way. Usually the axle will come out easily. If not, put the drum back on, the washer and nut, leave the nut loose and use the drum as a slide hammer. Be sure to put the shims back where they were to maintain axle end play.

Perfect thanks i'll try that tomorrow! 

• 1 year later...

Alright I have the axle disassembled for re seal but waiting for some warmer weather so any sealer I put on the carrier gasket will cure properly.

In the meantime i have a new hand brake liner but am having difficulty removing the old assembly as the adjustment bolt is really long hitting the floor not allowing for removal. Any tips? The bolt goes through the transmission bracket but that is the rear assembly on the transmission 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Car is back on the road after rear end re seal, did the carrier gasket, pinion seal and axle seals. So far so good no leaks! I needed to replace my champion radiator again as my old one was leaking from where the core fin enters the tanks. 

Plan is to drive it for the rest of nice weather Octoberish then store again for winter

Ive noticed some fuel around the fuel pump. I am wondering if the seals dried up while it was left sitting since 2017. Its not a spray but more of a weep. Looking at the fuel pump it does not have the glass bowl like the new ones for sale and it looks to have another piece on it that is tied into the motor vacuum lines? I'll get some pictures soon

You have a really cute car there that brings back memories from the 1980s for me.  My friend back then had a 49 Plymouth coupe that I wanted to buy.  It wasn't for sale so I looked in the Hemmings ads for one.  I finally found a 50 Plymouth coupe in Tucson, AZ.  I lived in San Diego, so I took a flight to Tucson and picked it up.  I think it cost about $1000.  It had a rusted out floor pan though, which was more serious than I thought at first.  I found the cause of the rust out was a leaking rain gutter at the rear of the passenger window that allowed rain water to flow down and wet the floor, which was covered in thick carpet.  That rusted out the floor over the decades.  So I wound up selling that car, and a year later, my friend drove up to my driveway offering me his 49 coupe.  By that time, I had already bought a 48 DeSoto business coupe, so I had to decline.  I really like those videos you made, just wish they were longer.  The engine sound was really awesome!  

• 1 year later...