New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

Kentd, Just be aware that your original hub caps will not work with the new wheels as there is no provision for the little spring clips that hold the caps on.  Some have purchased Chevy clips and attached them to the new wheels with small bolts and spacer washers.  I don't know how well that solution works.

Does anyone happen to know which size, width and backspacing they went with?          

MIne are cragar 15x7  with 4-1/8 backspacing got them from summit

• 11 months later...

Ended up getting the rim repaired at a local shop. Was not aware this was an option but good as new. 

I ordered some springs napa#277-5229/Moog CC840 for the front as I've read a couple reviews and people seem to be happy. However they wont work on my coupe. The ID on my oem springs are 4" and the aerostars are closer to 3.75" so they will not fit into the lower control arm properly. Anyone done this swap before on a coupe? Thanks

***Edit***

Looks like I need the Moog CC850 with an ID of 4.07"

Edited by kented

Kented, nice car you have there..........on my 1941 Plymouth Coupe I used Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies with their standard Baby Moon Caps with Coker Classic Radials the wheels were 15x6 and 15x7 with 195/65 x15 and 235/65 x 15 tyres......the car ran 2" blocks on the rear and 1 coil cut on the front, stock drums and I used the stock Plymouth left & right threaded bolts to hold the rims....I had to remove the stock wheel locating pin and grind about 1/16th off the top of each hub/drum rivet to allow the rims to seat properly.........I had no clearance issues either front or back, inside against the tie rods or inner body or outside against the front or rear fenders.....these had the standard backspace, I did not request anything special and fitted fine........unfortunately I ended up selling the car, duh!, dumb is as dumb is..........lol.......still got the 40 Dodge tho'.........regards, Andy Douglas   

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Installed the Moog cc850 with a coil cut. Sitting about 1"-1 1/2" higher than it was before. Going to let the car sit awhile before making adjustments. 

Removed the rear leafs springs and sending them out to confirm size of new ones. I'm about 2.5hrs away from any shop so I will have to ship them using Greyhound. 

Good news, a lady in town would like to use the car in some local weddings so that should equal some cash for improvements!

Edited by kented

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my 3 window coupe home last night seems I need to do the exact same thing you did over past 2 years what was the cost of the wiring harness that's my first step rewire before I create a fire my car has not ran since 1992 when it was parked in barn mice an dry rot has took its toll on the wire coating did the wiring harness fit as if it was factory made ? I got lucky got 5 rims and 4 hub caps along with a set of the phony fake white walls

Edited by hempster
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 7:53 PM, hempster said:

I just got my 3 window coupe home last night seems I need to do the exact same thing you did over past 2 years what was the cost of the wiring harness that's my first step rewire before I create a fire my car has not ran since 1992 when it was parked in barn mice an dry rot has took its toll on the wire coating did the wiring harness fit as if it was factory made ? I got lucky got 5 rims and 4 hub caps along with a set of the phony fake white walls

I bought this wiring harness: http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/highway-15-wiring-kit

Overkill for sure but leaves lots of room for improvement down the road. I like this harness compared to others as you don't have all the wires coming out of the bottom of the fuse block. Instead there is a terminal strip so you can run each wire individually. American auto wire has a vintage kit with period correct clothlike wrapped wiring but it's $$$. All the wiring I've done is out of sight so I wasn't too concerned. 

Yes unfortunately mine only came with 1 proper hubcap. I will need to source those at one point.

39 minutes ago, epix1718 said:

Kented, just read this entire thread this morning.. great progress!

Btw was that a GMC Typhoon in your friends shop? (photo from Oct 2014)

It's a  S-10 Blazer. Had a nice built up 350 in it but he's since sold it to fund other projects.

Installed new manifold heat riser spring today. Mine was broken since I purchased the car so the riser just rattled around. Looking forward to having it fixed.

Rear springs have been made and shipped should be here next week. They were custom made to allow me to remove the current 3" drop block while retaining the drop. If anyone is interested in 3" drop blocks with U bolts let me know. 

ItNew rear leafs, u bolts and bushings showed up today :)

[URL=httptp://s18.photobucket.com/user/kento99/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170705_202230_zpshikluahd.jpg.html]IMG_20170705_202230_zpshikluahd.jpg[/URL]

[URL=httptp://s18.photobucket.com/user/kento99/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170705_202736_zpsbe7dtfci_edit_1499317587751_zpsnqq2appz.jpg.html]IMG_20170705_202736_zpsbe7dtfci_edit_149[/URL]

And you know the saying can't let new parts sit around or they'll go stale. Installed the leafs tonight. Forgot to measure before hand but seems to be a little bit higher than it was before. However this is hopefully going to stop the driveshaft making contact with the floorpan on large bumps. Going to drive around for a bit and let settle before making anymore adjustments.

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/kento99/media/IMG_20170705_215854_zps9bpiibzu.jpg.html]IMG_20170705_215854_zps9bpiibzu.jpg[/URL]

32 minutes ago, medium_jon said:

@kented how much time did it take to install the new springs?

About 2hrs. Already had the old springs out and the car in the air which helped speed things along 

• Like 1

Ok figured it out

Got insurance today and opted for the new BC parks plates. Still need to apply for collectors platesIMG_20170706_181223_zpsgiyqntvu.jpg

Did a little shakedown drive to the end of the meadows. Wow. Highly suggest doing the front spring swap. New rear leafs are great, not having the car bottom out on the floor pan is a huge plus

IMG_20170706_173833_zpspmknjmwo.jpgIMG_20170706_173746_zps6wiljq3v.jpg

Edited by kented

• 6 months later...

Ugh new photo bucket terms now you need to pay for posting images. $400US/YEAR???!!

Need to figure out another platform then will update the thread. 

What other websites are people using?

19 minutes ago, kented said:

Ugh new photo bucket terms now you need to pay for posting images. $400US/YEAR???!!

Need to figure out another platform then will update the thread. 

What other websites are people using?

I pay 99 bucks a year.

Hello DonCoatney!

Thank you for your PLUS 100 purchase! Your account has been upgraded and you can now enjoy all the benefits of your new subscription.

Order Summary
Order Date: 09/03/2017
Subscription Type: PLUS 100 - 102.0 GB Storage
Billing Cycle: yearly
Subscription Price: $99.99
Next Billing Period: $99.99 will be charged on 09/02/2018

If you have any questions, please contact our Photobucket Support Team at support@photobucket.com mailto:support@photobucket.com.

Thank you for choosing Photobucket!

I use Gmail and Google Images. It works awesome. Its free. Lots of online storage. The pics are easily shared between computers, iphones, ipads whatever. I have no reason to consider paying for online photo hosting services. 

Edited by keithb7