New to Forum: 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

kented

Purchased this car a couple weeks ago off a friend,

20131102_162530_zpsa029d811.jpg

Removed the carpet and installed a new in box NOS rubber floor mat

20131104_125555_zpsc4324bd3.jpg

Motor shot, at some point the rad hose blew off covering the entire engine in nasty rust water

20131104_201258_zps917efad2.jpg

Interior shot with the old carpet

IMG_0470_zps84ae29fb.jpg

Short term plans: 

12V conversion

Complete re-wire with an American Auto wire universal harness or something similar 

Rear wheel has a major wobble, unsure if not balanced or something worse 

Drivers window is cracked, replacement

Clean engine bay

Wire tuck  

Long term plans:

Edgy speed shop intake manifold w/ dual stromberg 97's

Edgy speed shop finned aluminum head 

Front shock relocation w/ front disc brakes 

Stovetop headers 

Thanks for looking! 

-Kent 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. That is a very nice looking project you have there and some interesting plans. I am personally glad you plan on keeping the flattie as I love the old cars with the old technology. Incidentally, a 6V system is perfectly adequate if well maintained, good grounds are most important. Thick cables for the battery and starter are necessary as well and it looks like your car has those already. You can buy ready made harnesses for these cars as well although a bit expensive. If you want 12V for modern audio equipment there are lots of ways to do it leaving the rest of the car 6V. Anyway, enjoy the project and ask questions as the guys on the forum are knowledgeable and willing to share. The search function can also be very useful as well as the tech section, found under Resources at the top of the page.

Very nice coupe. I've never liked the 49 BC's but yours has made me change my mind a bit.  I like it.   I plan on most of those same plans but will leave the 6 volt in mine.  It will be here the day after Christmas.  Nice present for myself.

• 2 months later...

Little update: 

Ordered a stovebolt mopar hei ignition system and an American auto wire Highway 15 wiring system, 

Still unsure of which 12V alternator go to with, would be awesome to get a powergen but so damn expensive

Hopefully start installing these parts in March :)

-Kent  

So sweet! I love it. And like your plan.

Yes, pretty up that engine and engine compartment. I for one love the flathead six in my '48, really leaves nothing to be desired.

Congrats. That car has personality for sure. Again, that is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

ken.

Hello congrates with the coupe'! We have simular tastes when it comes to MoPars, my 49 Dodge is part of my family now.  

Theres alot of solid suggestions here from very experienced folks! Ask before you leap you'll most likely save some time & money! Welcome Doc.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a 12V alternator? Not sure if i'm a huge fan of chrome but there will be some bits here and there so it might tie in nicely 

Check ot summit racing for ideas.

GM internal regulators type 60 amp chrome at $100 for a 1 wire hook up type

Colors are also avail. to 100 amp at $90-1 wire

Easy to mount in the tight area of a 49-50 Ply.

Slightly larger Mopar are also avail,

!wire 60 A at $117 chromed

and 60A exterrnal regulator required $97

All new I believe.

Up to you.

Use the search function for  easy mounting ideas from others using the original generator mount.

Best,

Doug

Purchased this car a couple weeks ago off a friend.

WOW! You really scored on that one. Looks like it mostly needs driving.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a suggestion on a 12V alternator? Not sure if i'm a huge fan of chrome but there will be some bits here and there so it might tie in nicely 

I have one,but you probably aren't going to like it.

I saw,"screw those ugly alternators. Go with a 12 volt generator."

When I bought my single wire GM alternator I think I paid about 20 bucks for a rebuilt unit.

3.jpg

Don,  your prices in this south sometimes make me wish I lived down there, mostly when it comes to prices of car parts. ^_^

I can skip the summer humidity however. -_-  Lived in S.C. for several years in the early 70's.

Doug

Don,  your prices in this south sometimes make me wish I lived down there, mostly when it comes to prices of car parts. ^_^

I can skip the summer humidity however. -_-  Lived in S.C. for several years in the early 70's.

Doug

I bought that alternator about 12 years ago. Price today is forty two bucks.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Valucraft-Alternator/1985-Chevrolet-Cavalier/_/N-ijj69Z9ci9i?itemIdentifier=335729_331215_4676_

• Like 1

One last.

With a core?

A quick check price check here, same part # , same company $69.74, $10 core charge.

Love and hate Ca.

Doug

Edited by DJ194950

I too have a 49 BC, have driven it all over the US. What I did was convert to 12v using a Rhode Island wiring kit, at the same time repainted the motor and engine bay, I converted the 6v generator to 12 volt, works fine, looks good and didn't need to change the pulleys for the belt size. I also have an R10 overdrive, just converted the front to disc brakes. Plan on driving it to the summer POC meet in MIchiigan

I too have a 49 BC, have driven it all over the US. What I did was convert to 12v using a Rhode Island wiring kit, at the same time repainted the motor and engine bay, I converted the 6v generator to 12 volt, works fine, looks good and didn't need to change the pulleys for the belt size. I also have an R10 overdrive, just converted the front to disc brakes. Plan on driving it to the summer POC meet in MIchiigan

Hi Mark,

could you post or pm me with pics of the car? inside, under hood, ext. to share with my friend who has a 49 BC as his Next project.

I'm doing my best to talk him to keep a stocker motor in it. ;) 

Perhaps pictures and the info about your driving across the US, will help me convince him! :D 

Thanks,

Doug