Factory Brake and Fuel Line Routing

HanksB3B

Thanks to everyone that contributed in the previous thread:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/34658-carter-carb-fuel-filter-fuel-line/ 

Your words, pictures and advice made me realize why I should have taken notes and carefully photographed line routings before removing them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

wallytoo, on 06 Nov 2013-04:70 AM said:

what don said. the only rubber piece used was a short section from the frame rail to the pump. the remainder was steel line.

it appears you have a hard line directly from the tank to the pump. you may run into flex breakage at some point. maybe not. that's where the stock short section of rubber fuel line goes, to attach from the hard line at the frame rail to the pump.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I removed the short length of hardline, (that should have been flex hose between the frame and fuel pump) I discovered it was single flared at both ends. Was lucky to discover this. (so thanks wallytoo). 

If you are just starting, there is a good chance the correct fittings and factory routing on your truck were modified by previous owners. 

I hope this thread helps,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

This thread will go before the board of "National Executive Review of Dodge Schematics" and stamped with the offical seal upon its approval. Personally I will endorse the thread under the "Beau of Intelligent Thoughts and Cognitive Habits In Nerdom

Great work my friend.

Tim aka 48Dodger

• Like 1

now take a bow...

Yeah well I look better on paper than in the field.  Just got back from replacing my loop de loop vacuum line. Had a b*tch of a time getting the line connectors into the vacuum chamber.  It had to be "just-so". I have to admit that despite my struggles the truck's vacuum line has the correct fittings at the carb and looks better than ever.  It's like three times is a charm. Is there anything (other than a coat hanger) made to act as a temporary template? There should be. Or maybe Don Coatney will come to visit me ?

Now Now Hank, let's play nice.....

I am playing nice.  Tim just remarked about grouping pictures together and not displaying them larger.  

This thread will go before the board of "National Executive Review of Dodge Schematics" and stamped with the offical seal upon its approval. Personally I will endorse the thread under the "Beau of Intelligent Thoughts and Cognitive Habits In Nerdom

Great work my friend.

Tim aka 48Dodger

Thank you for the compliment Tim.  I do agree with the Nerdom part. :lol:  

interesting response when you take a close look at it :cool:

Which part ?

Wasn't that organization founded by Bob Bitch'n ? :rolleyes:

I think he's a Californian.

Edited by HanksB3B

Here are some good views of mine from when I tore it apart from the cab forward. I am very certain that this is a factory installed fuel line based on how it was routed and how it was in the clamps on the frame. I hope this helps! Sorry if I am a little late getting to this, I didn't think I had any pictures of it. 

post-3516-0-62104100-1386038556_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-42123900-1386038568_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-76884400-1386038582_thumb.jpg

Hank, I used plain of vinyl covered electrical wire to make my tubing templates....lots longer than a coat hanger and way easier to deal with.

Good idea, that'll work.  I'll get a roll of heavy gauge single strand wire form my local electrical supply house.

Thanks,

Edited by HanksB3B

Here are some good views of mine from when I tore it apart from the cab forward. I am very certain that this is a factory installed fuel line based on how it was routed and how it was in the clamps on the frame. I hope this helps! Sorry if I am a little late getting to this, I didn't think I had any pictures of it. 

Those are good shots !

Thanks for contributing it'll help,

Great information, but it raises a question about the fuel lines for my truck.  With both saddle tanks and the cab tank, I have two lines going to the carbs.  One from the mechanical fuel pump, and one from the electrical pump mounted on the frame behind the cab.  Is the a REDO, or was this correct for a truck with factory saddle tanks.

Under the seat there is a valve that turns on either the saddle tanks or the main cab tank.  You can see in the picture that the two lines to the carbs come together just before the carbs, and both lines cross the truck in front of the engine and behind the radiator.

post-5623-0-37495700-1386108006_thumb.jpg

Edited by rustrunner