Andy Bernbaum now selling disc brake kits

ssnowden

FRONT DISC BRAKE CONVERSIONS KITS

In response to customer demand, we are now offering front disc brake conversion kits for most cars 1937-1962. These kits are the best on the market, and include virtually everything you need to convert your vintage MoPar to modern front disc brakes. Our kits require no machining, utilize your stock spindles, and are easy to install with basic tools and moderate mechanical expertise. Please call us to discuss pricing and availability.

Thank you for posting, nice to know. :)

What noticable difference do these make on our old stock rigs??Just thought I would ask.  Stopping distance? Heating up? And for since I tow a trailer would like some info. Jon

I think most anything you do as an upgrade to your brakes will be a major improvement. I would suggest you find a good professional installer who will follow the instructions as they are written.

Anyone have pictures of the conversion from the OEM master cylinder to a dual master cylinder?

Click here----->  http://p15-d24.com/topic/20422-krap/?hl=krap

Well , took a look tonight....the 41 frame is much different. No where to put the bracket back there.....oh well.....still got some very useful information just the same.

The issue I have is placing the Furd master cylinder between the clutch and brake pedals. Will have to move the M/C forward a couple of inches to get the required travel of the brake pedal. The banjo fittings will solve the tight bends for the lines.

On my 38 Coupe, I installed a 86 Dodge MC, and used my original pedal assembly.

I made a bracket from a piece of angle iron. The 38s have the MC pointed forward.

I later installed a Ford Bronco MC with a bigger bore to see if it would be any

better. Both worked the same.

My 41 is the same way....did just what you did.....

On my 38 Coupe, I installed a 86 Dodge MC, and used my original pedal assembly.

I made a bracket from a piece of angle iron. The 38s have the MC pointed forward.

I later installed a Ford Bronco MC with a bigger bore to see if it would be any

better. Both worked the same.

Before I began disassembling to convert to disks I did a similar setup on mine using a 60's Ford Master cylinder.  (Fenco part M1485)  and seems to fit and work fine.  Now that I'm converting to discs I need to find an MC that fits the same but designed for non-Power,  disk in the front drums on the rear.

Edited by 40desoto

Okay guys,,, this thread got my brain making that weird noise when it works(rarely).  Berbaum makes a 'front disc' conversion right.  Read so much lately I confused myself,,,does someone make rear disc brake conversions for a 50 Coronet???

Thinking as I was advised a while back that an upgrade to all disc brakes would be better for me cause dont know where to access the special shoe brake adjuster,,,and I never could adjust shoes worth a hoot manuelly

One set of discs should last my lifetime, altho not planning on racing any body with THIS car,,,not even Don on a dare.

Okay guys,,, this thread got my brain making that weird noise when it works(rarely).  Berbaum makes a 'front disc' conversion right.  Read so much lately I confused myself,,,does someone make rear disc brake conversions for a 50 Coronet???

Thinking as I was advised a while back that an upgrade to all disc brakes would be better for me cause dont know where to access the special shoe brake adjuster,,,and I never could adjust shoes worth a hoot manuelly

One set of discs should last my lifetime, altho not planning on racing any body with THIS car,,,not even Don on a dare.

Easiest thing to do is swap a whole Ford Explorer rear axle in. The late 90's one's use rear disc. The width is about right. 

I am not sure that Burnbaum is making the disc conversion parts. I suspect he is selling someone elses conversion parts but he may be able to get a better price than buying directly from the originator due to volume purchases. It is good to see him expanding his lines.

I know that several folks are running rear disk brakes with good results. As an option to rear discs one might consider replaceing the read differential assembly with a better ratio and more user frendly drum brakes.

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

my personal take (.02 cents) on the subject is that if you want rear disc...go get a modern rear axle already factory set up for this and match it to the suspension/drive shaft of your vehicle...taking this step to include updating the old gear to a modern will also give you a better ratio more suited to the higher quality roads we have today.....the mechanics involved is less invasive and have a better chance of a home job done as it will require less specialty tools and such. To go with a later 8 3/4 or even a 8 1/4 then add the cost of a disc brake kit to that...one is going up not only in price to buy in but the labor and skill/tool requirements for the install...for normal street driving I have no requirements that would push me to having rear disc...my modern upgrade in the business coupe has very large 11 inch drums in the rear and ABS active