12 volt to 6 volt gyromatic

Phil Martin

Why switch to 12V ? They work well with 6V.

I think what he means is that he wants to continue to feed the shift relays 6 volts while operating the rest of the car on 12 volts. I talked  to a guy with a 49 Saratoga who never did anything to the controls after converting to 12v and had no problems but other guys warn that doing that could smoke the controls. Personally,I cheated by keeping everything 6 volts except the starter. That way, the m-5 controls are happy along with everything else that likes 6 volts. Do a Google search on the subject,read about how other people dealt with it and you'll really be confused in the end. I know I was.

I worded that wrong. I mean the car srun well on 6 volt. I have 12 of them all still 6 volt including my 4 tonner. They all run and start fine. Good H-duty batterys, starters and maintenence. Several m5 and M6 cars too.

Bob

yes...test the value of the component in OHMs....and also with 6 volt battery power and check the amp draw...(or do the math with ohms law..)...amperage times voltage is watts and will dictate the wattage of the resistor to use in the ohm value determined by reistance test...place this value resistor inline between 12 volt source and the input to the component..this will drop 1/2 the voltage and the wattage will correct to handle the heat/current on the voltage drop..

I personally do not like resistors for the gauge circuits..I suggest wiring in a CVR or at minimum build a solid state limiter or a solid state voltage regulator...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

We always ran "M" Interatioal farmall tractors that were all 6 or 9 volt originally and we always ran 12v. batterys to improve starting.  The only thing we ever did was to put a resistor before the coil to cut it to 6 v.. Looked like a ceramic block with wire curled across it.  It was 2 to 3 inches long as I remember.  Now before the rest say that wont work,,,we NEVER turned on the lights anyway especially after converting.  6V. Generator worked till it quit then we would fashion a 12 alternator on it  the 6v starter and starter button stayed permanently .

When I last commuted to work(back in early 70's) in a 50 or 51 Mopar I put a 12v battery on the inside hump and hooked up the ground and ran a hot cable direct to starter.  touched cable to last post to crank,,,and crank she did.  When its 20 below and you gotta go and 5 AM and snow up to your whazzo,,you gotta do what yaa gotta do.  Put 12v. on a charger every now and then.

Point of this whole post is put a 6v resistor before the m5 controls and feed it only,,,should be good to go

Edited by Grdpa's 50 Dodge

I think what he means is that he wants to continue to feed the shift relays 6 volts while operating the rest of the car on 12 volts. I talked  to a guy with a 49 Saratoga who never did anything to the controls after converting to 12v and had no problems but other guys warn that doing that could smoke the controls. Personally,I cheated by keeping everything 6 volts except the starter. That way, the m-5 controls are happy along with everything else that likes 6 volts. Do a Google search on the subject,read about how other people dealt with it and you'll really be confused in the end. I know I was.

it can cause confusion..many folks and especially those with any older tractor experience are used to split systems...twin batteries, twin voltage one dynamo relatively a very simple setup...one note of advice is to occasionally rotate the position of the batteries for longer life..

Don's pic is the exact ceramic resistor I spoke of.

We always left the 6v coil on the tractor as well as points and condenser all the same

If we ever had coil troubles we bought a 12 and took the resister off.

The Gyromatic electrics run off of the coil and the coil is already stepped down to 6 volts even on a 12 volt car so the transmission does not need to be converted to six volts as it is already done...should work just fine, just make sure all the contacts on the electrical system on the trans are clean at all times

• Like 1

Thanks Greg!!  Healthwise not too good, poor balance from vertigo and severe weakness in my legs so that I need a walker to get around. The balance thing is the worst. Like trying to walk on the deck of a ship in very rough seas all the time. Horrible and not much can be done about it :(

I still have the 56 Nash but it is up for sale as are all of my vehicles except the 49 Chrysler. I am unable to work on any of them right now and don' see being able to in the foreseeable future so might as well move them along to someone who can work on  them. Sadly, not many folks around here in a buying mood unless they are giveaways which I won't do but the storage fees are a killer.