"Phantom vehicles"

BobT-47P15

what year is that drawing..it appears it is meant to reflect the mid 50's at least that is what I think but yet it was not till the end of the decade for the Cad light of that design....'59..I am sure that if Sutde had that design light they would have used it in their cars....NAH..just kidding..Stude was into the 70's by mid 50's..(except for trucks..who knows where they come from)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I received an auction promo from Mecum recently that contained this picture of a phantom

49 Cadillac station wagon built by a fellow named Bones Noteboom.....who I think probably

hangs out on the HAMB.

I rather like the look of the car.  I have seen phantom older Mopars from time to time......

if you have a picture of any brand of "made up" car, post it here and lets see what

turns up.  Might be fun and interesting.  

1949-Cadillac-Phantom-Wagon.jpg?lastmod=

Somebody liked this enough to win the bid at $65,000.00.

This topic gives me the opportunity to boast about my good friend Tony Miller.  We met a number of years ago, introduced by a mutual friend, 

at a Hot Rod cruise.  Seems we have a lot in common and we now meet every few weeks for breakfast and chat about all that is wrong,.....

and right in the world of design.  One of Tony's things is designing cars that never were.  Here are three. The 50 is about as close to a 

daily driver as one can get.  All are equally complex, tasty and mischievous.  Can you spot the refinements?  I will ask Tony to join our forum

and cover my ass if this topic gets traction and comments/questions become too intense.... :huh:  

TonysFifty51_zps98ba357c.jpg

TonysFiftyFive56_zps393484bc.jpg

TonysFauxVert_zpsa72eb89a.jpg

I think the first one has a roof from a Lincoln and the hood has been stretched and cowl modified as well as doors shaved. Second one looks like the roof off a GM, doors shaved. Third one has been chopped and the fenders moved up, maybe channeled as well, maybe a pie cut in the hood.

I think the first one has a roof from a Lincoln and the hood has been stretched and cowl modified as well as doors shaved. Second one looks like the roof off a GM, doors shaved. Third one has been chopped and the fenders moved up, maybe channeled as well, maybe a pie cut in the hood.

The first one has the roof that came on the car; the hood is stock but from an earlier year; no change to the cowl. You're right about the doors.

The second also has the roof that came on the car, and you're right again about the doors, but there are many other changes in the details.

The third started out as a coupe, and the top has been chopped OFF. Yes, it's channeled and the hood has been sectioned. Do you know what make and year it is?

Looks to me like the 40 Ford is far from stock, Looks channeled, the front wheels appar to be moved foreward along with the wheel wells, the windshield looks chopped and the fenders radised. The car also appears to be lowered. Did I mention the carson top. It appears to be a 40 Fraud.

And the 50 is a 50 Fraud. The 56 is a 56 Fraud.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661072

they not Mopar...therefore not worthy of discussion...lol

BUT neither is this car but considered an orphan car under the Mopar blanket...this is the car I saw at the swap meet that in my opinion was slicker than any of the others just due to the fact it is "dare to be different" pepped up 401 CI

post-19-0-46810200-1385474161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

on the 56-Fraud. front end is from a 55 or at least the grille is, stainless side trim is wrong from what I remember and it has a scoop on the hood from a Tbird, I think. Headlight buckets appear to be molded in, no hood ornaments or emblems either and I'm sure there is more, possibly the bumpers flipped. Hood ornament on the 50 or 51 whichever it is also may be questionable, windshield may be a bit more laid back than normal. Most of the changes appear to be fairly subtle and done well so it looks like they were there from the factory.

Meanwhile, over on the HAMB, a fellow and his shop are building a faux 1940 Ford convertible with rear quarter

side glasses (they do not have rear side glasses).   In fact, the car started out as a coupe.  

Here's a link to the thread:     

F4007.JPG

About the right shape for a 40 Ford

Yes, it's a '40 Ford

Looks to me like the 40 Ford is far from stock, Looks channeled, the front wheels appar to be moved foreward along with the wheel wells, the windshield looks chopped and the fenders radised. The car also appears to be lowered. Did I mention the carson top. It appears to be a 40 Fraud.

And the 50 is a 50 Fraud. The 56 is a 56 Fraud.

Don, I suspect that you've been peeking at the thread on the HAMB.

on the 56-Fraud. front end is from a 55 or at least the grille is, stainless side trim is wrong from what I remember and it has a scoop on the hood from a Tbird, I think. Headlight buckets appear to be molded in, no hood ornaments or emblems either and I'm sure there is more, possibly the bumpers flipped. Hood ornament on the 50 or 51 whichever it is also may be questionable, windshield may be a bit more laid back than normal. Most of the changes appear to be fairly subtle and done well so it looks like they were there from the factory.

Pretty much correct. The grille and side trim are both from a '55 Customline (the car is a '56 Fairlane Victoria), the hood scoop is from a '65 GTO. The headlights are '55 Olds.

The shoebox is a '51 pretending to be a '50 (there were no '50 Victorias from the factory). The hood ornament is '49. The windshield and all of the top is completely stock '51 Vic.

Meanwhile, over on the HAMB, a fellow and his shop are building a faux 1940 Ford convertible with rear quarter

side glasses (they do not have rear side glasses).   In fact, the car started out as a coupe.  

Here's a link to the thread:     

F4007.JPG

Yep, same car. The grey picture that Bill posted is a Photochop.

Bob, Did you ever wonder if that might be the same car that Bill Story pictured? Did you happen to catch the builders name? Did you happen to catch the link that I posted in my response (posting #38 in this thread). Does the name Tony Miller ring a bell?

Well, ya got me. Here's the way the car actually looks right now. The grille, incidentally, is a fake '40 Merc handmade to fit the altered '40 Ford grille opening:

1030LoLite_zps858e9ab9.jpg

Thanks for playing, guys.

Edited by 50Fraud
  • Like 1

That Cadillac looks like it was originally a hearse. I can appreciate the workmanship, but it doesn't really blow my skirt up. Here's a couple from the 2011 Olcott car show in Olcott, NY. Greg G may remember these. I don't recall the year of the donor Buick. There wasn't any info posted with the 56 Chevy.

post-285-0-35923900-1385730347_thumb.jpg

post-285-0-43589100-1385730355_thumb.jpg