Autonomous Cars

jcmiller

I've been reading a lot about autonomous cars lately, and I can't help but think that we only have a couple of decades left to actually drive cars, except by special permit.  By all accounts, autonomous cars will be far safer than those driven by humans.  It won't take long for insurance rates to skyrocket for those choosing to drive their own vehicle.  It will probably take longer for the legal system to catch up, but eventually a person will be deemed negligent for choosing to drive.  Ultimately, it won't be allowed at all except on special occasion when clubs arrange for a permit for their members to take manually operated cars out on a predetermined route.

While autonomous cars will save a lot of lives, reduce fuel use and the need for new roads, and eliminate parking hassles, it will also be kind of sad when we can't drive anymore.

• Like 1

I'm 75, so I don't think I will worry much about such. My wife has the top of the line Honda Accord but I like to drive my 52 Pilot House. I like the shifting, the need to adjust the choke a bit now that it's getting a bit cooler, and I like to hear the engine. It all keeps one more alert which at my age is beneficial. 

• Like 1

auto-drive was used in Demolition Man (I'm still trying to figger out the 3 seashells tho)...particulate emission restrictions could effectively legislate future diesel power out of existence because equipment costs might become so high that gasoline/electric power might be the only choice in the trucking industry--and that could happen within the next decade...

I love that show. And that U.S. military truck was a BEAST.

Is this a video for that?

Pretty impressive for both the Range Rover and the truck.

Given that people are still buying some manual transmission cars because they actually want to "drive" as opposed to simply go someplace, I suspect there will be some push back against banning non-autonomous vehicles from the road for many years after the autonomous cars actually appear in the dealer show rooms.

When I was in 1st grade in 1971...I was told the 747 was gonna change the world and everyone was going to go to Europe like it was going to the store across town......5th grade 1975, we kids were told that with the NASA Shuttle Craft we would be visiting the Moon, like we visit Europe. In 1983 The Us Festival told us college kids that electronic devices and computers would change the world and bring everyone closer together. Europe would feel like a next store neighbor. In 1984 I began my career in Radiology. As Health Technologies changed so did the PC and Mac world. As we recieved new tech outside of computers, so the did general population....by 1995, it seemed personal computers we everwhere. With every change.....it seemed the hope for bigger and better things was always the promise.....that even the simplest of ideas would move a mountian. But for me, I've learn to enjoy the moment for what it was. And frankly, I've never been to Europe and the fact a technology would promise me Europe is kinda silly. Technology will always be a tool for man, not the other way around. Yes....I'm standing on a soap box....a bit of old tech that's still around. ^_^  

48D

• Like 1

as an engineer I'm really torn on the autonomous car thing, really cool tech, but I really can't see the average American ever giving up the privilege to actually drive.  It WOULD remove a bunch of idiots from behind the wheel, but I really can't see the WHOLE country ever wired well enough to make things driver free.  At least not in my lifetime.  Meanwhile I'm enjoying being behind the wheel.  

I think the bigger question is what will be fueling vehicles in 30 years.....dino squeezin's won't last forever and are gonna keep climbing in price beyond the increase in pay the average person get's.  I don't know about the diesel comment, I think diesel is actually the future of transportation.  It's all you see in Europe (and MANUAL vehicles :)  ), and why TODD is going to be DIESEL!

The U.S uses H.C's as the measurement of polution where Europe uses MPG as the measuement......diesel gets better MPG than gas, and of course you don't have to crack the petrol as much to make it.

A lot of folks already feel the new cars can be controlled by remote agencys for evil.....   

And Hybrid cars aren't buying as much gas, which means less revenue (road repair, etc) and an increase in road use.

That goes for fuel efficient cars too.....so if anything, the goverment will remotely control traffic, speed, and most freedom of destination via grid control. shutting off cars in areas while allowing an increase in speed in others, and shutting down traffic all together for emergency vehicles. And of course government vehicles will be exempt from these controller devices. Oh, and they will no longer be called freeways, toll roads or toll ways but rather taxed roads...lol. So the real question isn't what fuel so much as how much control are you willing to stand before you feel violated? We'll still be the driver...but only when it suits someone else.....cue ominous music... :huh:

48D       

The U.S uses H.C's as the measurement of polution where Europe uses MPG as the measuement......diesel gets better MPG than gas, and of course you don't have to crack the petrol as much to make it.

A lot of folks already feel the new cars can be controlled by remote agencys for evil.....   

And Hybrid cars aren't buying as much gas, which means less revenue (road repair, etc) and an increase in road use.

That goes for fuel efficient cars too.....so if anything, the goverment will remotely control traffic, speed, and most freedom of destination via grid control. shutting off cars in areas while allowing an increase in speed in others, and shutting down traffic all together for emergency vehicles. And of course government vehicles will be exempt from these controller devices. Oh, and they will no longer be called freeways, toll roads or toll ways but rather taxed roads...lol. So the real question isn't what fuel so much as how much control are you willing to stand before you feel violated? We'll still be the driver...but only when it suits someone else.....cue ominous music... :huh:

48D       

yah, I've thought of the hack as well, very scary......imagine someone pulling out all the stops and then stopping a few cars in front and letting everything pile up.....scary!

Question: The horse and buggy was replace by the car. Are horses and buggies outlawed? 

You are in California, here is what the motor vehicle code says about that:

V C Section 21050 Riding or Driving of Animal

Riding or Driving of Animal

21050.  Every person riding or driving an animal upon a highway has all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this division and Division 10 (commencing with Section 20000), except those provisions which by their very nature can have no application.

Amended Ch. 586, Stats. 1967. Effective November 8, 1967.

Is this a video for that?

Pretty impressive for both the Range Rover and the truck.

Given that people are still buying some manual transmission cars because they actually want to "drive" as opposed to simply go someplace, I suspect there will be some push back against banning non-autonomous vehicles from the road for many years after the autonomous cars actually appear in the dealer show rooms.

I got the funniest look from the VW salesman when I specified that I wanted a manual transmission in my Beetle.......

I love that VC regarding animals.  Last Friday I saw someone  riding a tall lean, well cared for black horse down the road. Was cool to see. I was going to take a picture, but I figured the horse was walking too fast and would only be a blur on my camera. ;)  

Put a computer chip in the license plates and the autonomous cars can function with them too. Then require all teenagers drive an autonomous car!!!!! Now THAT would save a lot of lives. 

Edited by pflaming