1955 Plymouth Plaza wagon project

ChrisRice

I noticed most people have a topic devoted to their projects, so I thought I could create one for mine. It may only serve for the purpose of helping me remember what I have done, am doing, or need to do. I have had this 1955 Plymouth Plaza four door station wagon/suburban for about two months and it is my first real venture into owning a classic car or doing any major car work. I will start by posting the original pictures from the day I got it.

post-6402-0-17956100-1384621345_thumb.jpgpost-6402-0-26671600-1384621405_thumb.jpg.

The pictures of the numbers on different parts. I believe it to be all original, although I will verify this soon with a Chrysler build sheet (as suggested from other forum members).

post-6402-0-07990900-1384621848_thumb.jpgpost-6402-0-09039800-1384621911_thumb.jpg

Engine number P26*332704

Edited by ChrisRice

Everyone needs a plan, so I drew mine...

post-6402-0-47824300-1384622289_thumb.jpg

The colors don't look right in the picture, but plans are to paint in colors called Biscayne Blue and Orlando Ivory. Both are colors offered, and I believe/hope this was a two tone car. I know the blue was the original color, not certain on the ivory. I know as a color combo it was offered, the build card will tell for sure.

Edited by ChrisRice

Hi Chris, thanks for posting, I had a ’56 right out of high school and have always had a soft spot for the 55-56 Plymouths. Because I’m too lazy to do the research, do you know if the four door and two door wagons where both available state side, not sure but I think I have only seen two door’s wagons in Canada?

Looking forward to your project. :) 

I like the color choices. Just for a little inspiration here are some 55s owned by friends of mine

Edit: just noticed the blue and white 55 in the background of the peach one. Are those your colors??

1955plysavoy-carls.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

Edited by Young Ed
  • Like 3

I like the color choices. Just for a little inspiration here are some 55s owned by friends of mine

Edit: just noticed the blue and white 55 in the background of the peach one. Are those your colors??

No it is a much darker blue, but thanks for the reference pictures

Welcome to the suburban 'club'. We are neither cars nor trucks. I've got a build going also so will be watching yours. Put 1955 Plymouth Suburban into Google and then on the upper bar hit 'images'. You will find all kinds of color combinations there.

Will see you on the web. 

• Like 1

I will be looking forward to it too. It all started when the woman of my life decided we needed a new family car big enough for our expanding family. I am willing to bet she will be more specific next time.

It needs a new gas tank and lines, new brakes and lines (a problem I have been working on for over a month), inner and outer rocker panels, new upholstery, new tires and maybe rims, new floor pans (someone put some cheap metal patch pieces in years ago), but not a whole lot of body work beyond that.

When I bought it, it would not crank, but spun over freely. It had been parked for over 7 years in a field. I got it home, put in a new ignition coil, battery, and spark plugs, rigged a 2 liter bottle of non-ethanol gas to the fuel pump (it refuses to crank on ethenal gas), and cranked it right up.

My current projects are rebuilding the generator as it does not charge and the brakes. I also do a little body work sanding when time is there. I hope to have it on the road by spring of this coming year. Not completed, just on the road.

I will post pictures as they are warranted.

Edited by ChrisRice

In Canada, both 2 door and 4door wagons were offered, with the 2 door as a Plaza 6, 4 door as a Savoy 6, Belvedere 6 or Belvedere V8. 

The Canadian Savoy 6 was model P26-2 as it had the same model line-up as the U.S. Belvedere 6 - 2 and 4 door sedan, 2 door hardtop and 4 door wagon.  The Canadian Belvedere 6 was model P26-4 with the same models as the Savoy 6.  The Belvedere V8 was model P-27-2, same models plus the imported convertible.  . 

The Plaza 6 was P26-1 with 2 and 4 door sedans plus the 2 door wagon - no business sedan or 4 door wagon. 

The V8 engine was available only in the Belvedere as V8 engines were imported until the new V8 engine plant opened for the 1956 model year.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  I have always lusted after 55-56 Plymouths,and it's good to see them get some attention.

I even like stationwagons,and own a 58 Rambler Cross Country with factory air and ps.

Then again,the list of things I don't like is a lot easier to post than the list of things I do like. 

Mostly I don't like 59 Chevrolets,58 Buicks,49-58 Packards,and 46-48 Hudsons,and I like everything else

Chris, Good luck with your restoration. I read that you are doing a complete brake job. replacing brake lines and wheel cylinders etc. I have a suggestion. I also own a 55 Plymouth. Since it does not get driven often, I always had a problem with the brakes. The wheel cylinders would rust and seize after a few years. Finally after doing what you are I decided to use DOT 5 brake fluid. that was 5 years ago and I have not had a problem since. I also converted to a dual master cylinder at that time for safety reasons. I had to put a brake light switch on the brake pedal since the dual master cylinder did not have a place to screw the brake light switch into. 

You can put the OE brake light switch anywhere in the line. It acts upon pressure change. I put mine about 12" from the replacement  MC and it works just fine. Simple to install and simple to replace. Did it when I put in discs up front and changed the rear axle. 

Chris, Good luck with your restoration. I read that you are doing a complete brake job. replacing brake lines and wheel cylinders etc. I have a suggestion. I also own a 55 Plymouth. Since it does not get driven often, I always had a problem with the brakes. The wheel cylinders would rust and seize after a few years. Finally after doing what you are I decided to use DOT 5 brake fluid. that was 5 years ago and I have not had a problem since. I also converted to a dual master cylinder at that time for safety reasons. I had to put a brake light switch on the brake pedal since the dual master cylinder did not have a place to screw the brake light switch into.

I will consider doing this as I am rebuilding the brakes. I want the car as close as original for certain shows that I have aspirations to be in, however would it count against me to make changes for safety reasons? I know that some things such as seat belts are allowed, but I'm not sure about other changes. Thank you for the advise.