7th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ......

48Dodger

7TH ANNUAL CLEMENTS TAILGATE BBQ
APRIL 5TH 2014

Yes Sir........It's that time again!!!

Its getting bigger and better. We had a great turn out of Pilot-House Trucks last year with a few more cars, a few custom built trucks from the 30's, and a 55 Chevy Bel Air that we let park out back. lol.  

Last year we were blessed with friends from far away places. Merle Coggins from Wisconsin, Bud and Cher, Kev, Marshall and his friend...all from the state of Washington! We had some road warriors, driving long distances with their trucks, braving the hazards of "taking it on the road". Paul Flaming recieved the "Tough Trucker Award" driving his blue patina ride a distance he really had no business driving, yet did, and only broken down once! And Marshall driving his 47 flat six truck 1100 miles from Seattle! The number of first time trucks was a welcome site, not to mention the ford guy, Ted, who trailered his "in progress" PH for all to see. Why? Because he was inspired to build one after seeing the old Dodge trucks at a prior BBQ. His good friend, and mine, Jim Sheppard has one of the best PH trucks in the area and has never missed a BBQ, neither has Bob Koch, Claude Church or myself....we'll see who's the first to crack. lol. We also had a few late guests who, 6 months after the event, found their way down the driveway, Don Coatney and Billy.....I don't care, I'm gonna count it as an attendence!

So many good stories around the fire pit the nights before and after the event. I can't tell how cool it is to have forum members stay several days and just relax.....this year will be no different....I even cut more wood. Gerald our webmaster is planning on coming this year, a few guys from down south say this is the year, and a Mark even mentioned a road trip from Wisconsin might be in order.....we will just have to see what this years BBQ will bring.

A side note (really a personal note for me) the BBQ is how I will celebrate my 50th birthday.  Its a month earlier, but I'm gonna wait for you guys. No presents, just bring your truck, a slap on my shoulder with a hardy "atta boy, you did it"...lol.  

Looking forward to a great party! Now build it, and bring it!!!

48D

"It was around 2007 when Bob Koch, Jim Shepard, and myself (Tim Estrada), went to Reg Evans' place to check out his "yard". While we were eating hotdogs, drinking cold beverages, solving international and regional issues....we thought "lets have a BBQ".

"Get the wheels on, and the tanks full....its time to finish up and git to the Q! It ain't no beauty pageant of trailer queens, its a truck show...so flex your rust as well as your shine! lol. "

Edited by 48dodger

But he said you were coming from Wisconsin HAHAHAHAHA

LOL....you mean, Minnesota isn't a city in Wisconsin??? Sorry Mark.... :lol:

48Duh

I am reserving a trailer space!!! Might even drive Viejo down from WA. ^_^

Dude.....that would be a tough drive.....but if you do, I'll make sure you have a place to stay.

48D

Damn-I wish you were closer.  It'd be a great way to kick off my new career - RETIRED!  Any thoughts of an eastern franchising of this event?

• Like 1

MB, you need to come out and see how it's done. There is no way to franchise 48's magic without experiencing it. To start without coming to this BBQ would be like reading a book on intimate activity and . . .  I think you get the idea. Come April you'll be ready for some sunshine! 

MB. I was thinking the same thing I am in VA got a small farm with fire pit by the creek very secluded. Plenty of space to park ,camp or local do drops inns 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't cook though, crap

I've got the spot where we can hold it, I was just wondering if there are any other guys in this neck of the woods.  Our local ATCA chapter hosts an annual antique truck show and draws in the neighborhood of 50+ trucks.  There are getting to be more Dodges. Our national event in Macungie, PA on Father's Day weekend draws over 600 trucks from all over the country (antiquetruckclub.org).  There are probably a 20-25 Dodges in that makeup, but there is a ton of big stuff.  If there is interest, maybe we can put something together.  I'm planning on taking the 1 ton to Macungie this year, and I think our youngest son is taking my 78 1/2 ton.  It'd be great if we could hold it as part of either event.   CA is just out of the question to make in a 45 mph truck, for me anyways, but I know it has been done in the past Mike

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 1

Whatever help I can be...I'm more than willing to share my experience as a host. Merle did a bang up job for his fall event, and Davin has been bringing guys and thier trucks together in Aussie town. It started out small for us out here, but last year was was a traffic jam. Gonna have to make more room somewhere for this year. 

48D

Whatever help I can be...I'm more than willing to share my experience as a host. Merle did a bang up job for his fall event, and Davin has been bringing guys and thier trucks together in Aussie town. It started out small for us out here, but last year was was a traffic jam. Gonna have to make more room somewhere for this year. 

48D

I haven't got our annual meetings to happen here in Sth East Queensland Oz yet Tim as I ran into a problem - there are a few of us who have restrictions on our vehicle registration (what we refer to as 'club registration'). I need to look at a way of making our get-together a 'sanctioned' event so that we can all travel legally to the event on our restricted vehicle registrations. A few of us had a good time when we got together last time though...

post-3915-0-29978100-1385148906_thumb.jpg

I haven't got our annual meetings to happen here in Sth East Queensland Oz yet Tim as I ran into a problem - there are a few of us who have restrictions on our vehicle registration (what we refer to as 'club registration'). I need to look at a way of making our get-together a 'sanctioned' event so that we can all travel legally to the event on our restricted vehicle registrations. A few of us had a good time when we got together last time though...

I thought you "knew a guy" or had some "pull" in your Down Under?

Edited by ggdad1951

• 2 weeks later...

ANYBODY that wants to fly out and stay here in a tent CAN! I have the room, the weather isn't bad, and you have full use of the house. It will help with and flight costs and rental car. We have a fire pit BS area that's running all week long, and I take two weeks off during that time. The ranch area is open to trucks a week before and a week after the date. So if you have a vehicle that needs towing, and you live fairly close.....bring it early...and pick it up later. None of this is new, we've been doing it for years. lol.

48D