from the driver's seat and other images

mrwrstory

My buddy Mike and I went to the last, for this year, Dry Lakes Land Speed Races.  After an early morning fill-up

of coffee and donuts we headed North from OC to the El Mirage Dry Lake.  It was a beautiful 90 minute drive.  

Some folks see the dessert as bleak and boring but there is a beauty in the desolation.

IMG_4889_zpse9811c62.jpg

-

IMG_4891_zps922ececf.jpg

-

IMG_4893_zpse906ad50.jpg

-

Mike has a Cop Car powered 56 Ford Courier.  Almost lost him when we first entered the lake bed.

IMG_4900_zps4bdb1848.jpg

-

IMG_5072_zps284e72ba.jpg

Obviously it's a great place for pictures.  there are many more on the PhotoBucket Slide Show,..lotsa race cars,

featuring our friend Jim Sheridan in his Red White and Blue Modified T Roadster.

The sequencing is outta phase.  Be damned if I can figger how to make the "orgaization" stick.

-

Think I just lost PhotoBucket :mad:

-

• Like 3

The course is 2.6 mi., 1.3 o the traps and 1.3 to stop, fastest guys were running 250-260 mph.

Impressive.

Given a flat course at that length, I think I might get my '33 up to 70 MPH, 75 MPH if very lucky. There are some limits using a low compression 190 cu. in. engine to pull a car with the aerodynamics of a barn. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Impressive.

Given a flat course at that length, I think I might get my '33 up to 70 MPH, 75 MPH if very lucky. There are some limits using a low compression 190 cu. in. engine to pull a car with the aerodynamics of a barn.  :)

Funny you should mention that.....guys on the salt were the first ones to chop the top for better speeds. 

48D  

Great pictures Mr Bill. Love the land speed racing pics AND the airport shots.

Jim Shepard and I will be driving our Pilot-House trucks to Eagles Nest's Show and Shine May 31st....its thier first one.

The airport/community is home to a lot of WW2 fighter planes that you see at Chino's  Planes of Fame airshows.

Hope we get a chance to get pics like yours!

48D

Great pictures Mr Bill. Love the land speed racing pics AND the airport shots.

Jim Shepard and I will be driving our Pilot-House trucks to Eagles Nest's Show and Shine May 31st....its thier first one.

The airport/community is home to a lot of WW2 fighter planes that you see at Chino's  Planes of Fame airshows.

Hope we get a chance to get pics like yours!

48D

You got the Brick road worthy now?

Its always been "road" worthy Merle...lol

But where we're going....there won't be roads.............just a big ol' airstrip. :P  

I'm working on the legal issues for The Brick.....mostly for the local stuff Jim wants me to do.

Honestly I would rather zip over really quick, zip back even faster, and nobody see me comin' or goin'....haha. :lol:  

48D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went back to this thread to post my latest and surprised to see no one else had contributed.  It was not meant to be MY thread.  I assumed others would like to share images they've recorded.  Am I missing something?  I'm open to input.

One more try.

Visited kids in Washington last week.  The following was a side benefit.

IMG_7607_zpsbcf1648f.jpg

-

IMG_7610a_zpsb94abd58.jpg

-

IMG_7618_zpsa4b5269b.jpg

-

IMG_7618_zpsa4b5269b.jpg

Bill, all of the photos you posted to this thread are no longer visible.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  Last pics were posted two months ago and no one else has participated with images.   So, maybe "from the driver's seat and other images", was/is a topic still looking for contributors.

I think this thread is a good idea although I did think it only was to chronicle your trips. I enjoy following along but maybe I'll have to contribute some also to keep it going. I like the old shovel and dump truck. Is the buried Chevy truck a northwestern version of the Cadillac ranch? :D

I think this thread is a good idea although I did think it only was to chronicle your trips. I enjoy following along but maybe I'll have to contribute some also to keep it going. I like the old shovel and dump truck. Is the buried Chevy truck a northwestern version of the Cadillac ranch? :D

Cadillac Ranch was my first thought too!

Ya, please,....EVERYONE,.... share a few pics you think are cool images of stuff most of us would enjoy.  Many have commented, at one time or another, how cool it is to experience visions from their car or from points their car has taken them.

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

I just posted this in a reply to another thread regarding a desoto lacking uphill juice.  This is more from the passenger seat but you get the idea.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlw1mt_mvi-1377_auto

This was coming home from a Breakfast meeting with Bob D, Mark D, Chet B, and me in Roscoe, NY.  

Edited by greg g