Where is my TDC?

Kai-by-Vecona

Hi all,

in my 42 Dodge is a 1950 230 Engine. Now I tried to have a look at my ignition but I have some problems with the marks on my damper.

Because I didn't see anything I tried to get the marks better with a little bit of chalk but besides some marks I only found one number what seems to me like a "10". If this is right the other marks might be these degrees. Am I right or am I completely wrong?

Thank you in advance

Kai

post-6458-0-72400500-1384189496_thumb.jpg

Your pulley shows rubber that is in poor condition.  This indicates that your pulley contains a vibration damper and is therefore a laminated assembly rather than a simple pulley.  They have been known to slip as they deteriorate.  You can find TDC mechanically fairly easily.  On the cylinder head above #6 cylinder is a square pipe plug.  Remove the plug and insert a long piece (8 to 10 inches will work) of stiff wire.  You might have to work it some to get through any carbon build up.  This wire will run up and down with the piston stroke of #6 cylinder. When 6 is on TDC so is #1, but one is on compression and one is on exhaust.  By looking at the pointer and the marks you can tell when #1 is approaching its Compression TDC. with the wire you can find TDC  with good accuracy then mark your damper accordingly.  For starting procedures with these old engines any where between the 5's will be close enough for idling and running with no load.  I believe factory is TDC.

You can have your damper rebuilt if you decide to keep that engine in the car.  A company called Damper Doctor here in the US is one that provides the service.  I believe a few members have used their service and were happy with the results.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Hello Greg,

thanks for that advice. That's a good idea. I never heard that the pulley could slip but to find TDC on this way and mark the damper by myself could help.

The engine runs pretty good so I would keep it in the car. I never saw a pulley with vibration damper anywhere for sale. Think this could be difficult to repair. Sending the damper to the US and back sounds like I should do it as fast as possible if I want to drive with the car next spring :-)

I go and have a look ad the company you told me.

Thanks again Greg

Kai

The rubber on these dampers can look a bit cracked where it is exposed to the elements at the outer edge, and still be in good condition.

This pic is of the markings on a Dodge damper.

Edit: The damper and the pulley are 2 different parts.

The damper is bolted in front of the pulley, and is held on by 5 bolts.

post-80-0-11906400-1384205317_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1