Gas Tank Removal & Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Service

HanksB3B

I recently replaced my old fuel-logged float with a plastic one from a 70's GM after finding that I had no float left in my float. I guess that one could be obtained easily enough from a car wrecking yard. I'm not sure that I would call going away from cork 'cheating' Hank, and who's going to see it? I ran out of fuel once because of a faulty gauge and I have now ensured that will never happen again by having a working fuel gauge. I heard that they use to coat the old corks in shellac.

I am running a modified 12v sender in my 6v truck - which has a 12v fuel tank fitted. I suppose that an earth lead could be screwed into the side of the sending unit, or you could fit one by placing bare wire under your round sender locking-ring before turning it into the lock position, and then have a fitting to the other end of the earth wire that you could attach to the chassis somewhere.

Lizard spit hey... never heard of it here in Oz !!!

post-3915-0-70092400-1385102152_thumb.jpg

O.K.

Lizzard Spit, or Beetle Juice...I just can't make up my mind.....

Beetleguise_zps76ec860a.png

A plastic float makes perfect sense, but I'm not convinced that raw cork is a bad way to go either.

These days, obtaining a part from a Dealer to fix something becomes not about you but about them. My local Mopar or GMC dealers would be happy to sell me a complete sending unit for about $300. My junk yard drills holes in gas tanks when they receive a wreck (makes sense to get rid of the gas but is sure the lazy way to do it.  They want $40 for a complete sending unit and I don’t feel like pocketing the float.

The last part I need is a 4” piece of 2-1/4” id filler neck to gas tank hose. NAPA will sell me a foot for $21.  I convinced the owner to sell me 4” for (21/3=$7) but in his world its $10.75. Kraken O’Reilly wants $26 for 3 feet. 

Hank :lol:  

Edited by HanksB3B

Hank;

If you are going to use these sorts of photos......maybe Stacey Keach aka Sergent Standanko .......turning into a lizard in Cheech & Chongs Nice Dreams would be more appropriate. Their Ice Cream truck was a pilothouse.......

Don't go buggy on this. :lol:

Jeff

I wonder how much cork it will take to stop up a fuel filter?

Hank;

If you are going to use these sorts of photos......maybe Stacey Keach aka Sergent Standanko .......turning into a lizard in Cheech & Chongs Nice Dreams would be more appropriate. Their Ice Cream truck was a pilothouse.......

Don't go buggy on this. :lol:

Jeff

I wonder how much cork it will take to stop up a fuel filter?

No, unfortunately it was  a Chevy.

CheechampChongsIceCreamTruck_zps6f9aeb93

Now as far as your question "I wonder how much cork it will take to stop up a fuel filter?"

That's just not fair....something I'd picture a lawyer saying in court...I object on the premise "Calls for an opinion"

Judge: "Clerk strike this form the record.."

Hank  :D

Aiight, Aiiight...

I took out my sender last summer, actually 2012, when I had the tank cleaned and sealed. Never had any prior issues with the gas gauge. The sender had the original cork, and like discussed here, appeared to have a sealer on it. Some of the sealer was worn off, but I just put it back in and still works fine. When the needle hits "E", I still run out of gas, lol.

Actually on the way back from the Clements BBQ last April, I almost made it there and back, plus another destination, on one tank. But ran out one block from my house. (lol again)

• Like 1