Rainy Sunday and 20,- $ clock face rebuild

Kai-by-Vecona

Hello all,

as I got here lot's of great tips I maybe have one for you.

When I bought my Dodge, the speedometer and clock were really destroyed. The printed surface was deteriorated and also the printed letter of the clock and speedometr face dropped off.

When I decide to restore it I tried several ways like screen printing, or find somebody who does this professional but it would all be too complicated or to expancive.

As a result I will show the way I did it maybe it helps somebody.

At first, I took the old clock face and layed it on the scanner of PC. After scanning I reconstructet the letters in Adobe Illustrator to create vector grafics. I made two layers, one for the white print and one for the black.

I gave both files to a printing shop to plot too masking films. Better make two or three of each, you will use them propably.

Masking  Foil

At first pull of release paper and stick foil to the glass. I let the glass cut in a local shop. Markings on the foil help to find the exact position

Masking foil on glas

Now pull off transfer foil and paint the letters and stripes. After a few tests I use color for scale models. It adheres better as glass paint, but don't ask me why. Because of the flat surface paint doesn't stick very good to glass, you have to pull of the masking film before color ist completely dry.

White Paint

White letters

Sometimes, if the color was too dry or it doesn't stick well to the glass, the edges of some letters are not straight. If you have a second masking film cut out the letters  and stick it to the exact position to repaint the edges.

Fixing bad edges

If the first color is done, you have to make the black outline. That is even harder because the line is smaller then one Millimeter (sorry for the metric system :-)

I found out, that you can't use the complete masking foil to stick over the white because of two reasons.

1. If you pull of the release paper, the masking foil seems to stretch a little bit. It's not much but it's enough that the tin lines won't fit

2. The masking film will rip of the thin white lines.

To avoid that I took small pieces of masking film and normal paper and stick it over the thin white lines. Then I took the whole glass and glued it against a window with masking tape. This helps you to position the masking foil for the numbers because when the numbers are still on the transfer foil you really cant't look though it and it's difficult to find the right place. If you're finished, it lookes like that:

Secon Masking Foil

Now I took black enamel paint for the outlines. Check from the other side if the lines look good and pull off masking foil quick befor color gets too dry.

Black Paint

Front side of clock face

Pull of foil

The finished clock face looks pretty nice. On the first look, you can't differ from the original. When I had a closer look to my old one, it wasn't sooooo exact either.

Finished glass

Hope this will help others who have the same problem.
The background I also made on Illustrator. I printed the pattern on a foil and the golden foil is aluminium foil to make christmas stars from a hobby shop. I layed it on a ripped plastic surface that I found on an old plastic casing and pressed the foil on the plastic with a rubber roll. Then I took glue and sticked it to the foil with the pattern.
This really is just a compromise, because the ribbed structure ist not so fine as original and also not so exact, but it's doing it's job. Also the car istn't perfect the clock might ot be perfect too.

Finished clock

Rebulid clock in the car

Here in Germany we have to show Kilometers on speedometer. Normaly you have to glue stickers on the screen. When I was rebuliding the speedometer face I changed the letters into Kilometers :-)

I did this to my 42 Dodge an still have the files. If anyone ist interested I could send them the EPS-Files.

Hope this helps

Kai

• Like 4

That is a pretty nifty solution to your problem! Kudos to you for being 1)creative and 2) thrifty! I am sure someone somewhere would have charged you an arm and a leg for that...but now you get to brag to your friends and family "see that clock in there? Yeah I did that..."

Hello Hendo,

:-) If nobody sees that it's self made the job was fine. More confusing were the words of my sons girl friend (17 years old) "How is it possible to drive a car without ASR and ESP?" If you have to answer these questions I don't know if they could appreciate the work at the clock :-)

Hello Hendo,

:-) If nobody sees that it's self made the job was fine. More confusing were the words of my sons girl friend (17 years old) "How is it possible to drive a car without ASR and ESP?" If you have to answer these questions I don't know if they could appreciate the work at the clock :-)

How do those of us who don't even know what "ASR" and "ESP" are manage to drive? :)

ASR and ESP, as least in an automotive context are unknown TLAs to me (Three Letter Acronym). What do they imply when a car has them?

How do those of us who don't even know what "ASR" and "ESP" are manage to drive? :)

ASR and ESP, as least in an automotive context are unknown TLAs to me (Three Letter Acronym). What do they imply when a car has them?

I'm "totally lost" :o but, with that said, I'm totally impressed with the graphics work, illustrated in the opening post.  Good work and kudos for using your creative genes to solve the problem of replicating a factory process.   I'm inspired.  Have just learnt what "vector" means and I believe that's the answer to some graphics things I'd like to do. 

ASR = Active Stability R?  ESP = Electronic Skid/Slip Protection (traction control). The only reason I know what ESP means is because I like watching Top Gear UK lol

ASR = Active Stability R?  ESP = Electronic Skid/Slip Protection (traction control). The only reason I know what ESP means is because I like watching Top Gear UK lol

Found ESP. Turns out that ESP, DSC and ESC are all different names for effectively the same thing: "Electronic Stability Control (ESC), also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC). . ." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

And ASR is the same as Traction Control System (TCS): "A traction control system (TCS), in German known as Antriebsschlupfregelung (ASR), is typically (but not necessarily) a secondary function of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) . . ." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system

So now I know what they are. And even have a car with those features though the way the traction control in implemented on my 2004 is really horrible and I wonder from time to time if it is worth the effort to disable it.

Sorry! ASR is a german shortcut for "Antischlupfregelung" what means the car isn't able to make any burn outs. (WTF) When I look at any car sale page there are only three letter shortcuts which I think non of it is really neccessary to drive a car. By the time, I think they try to make these cars as safe as possible what only lets to the fact that everybody drives like hell because the GMG (get my guardian angel) will automaticly be achtivatet when the car has an extencive LOT (Loss of traction) because all of the ESPs ASR, TCS and ABSs won't help if you take a turn with too much speed.

I would say, if everybody would take a ride in our cars, everybody would know, what 60 mph really feels like. My son has a BMW 325. When you drive the car with 140mph on the autobahn it's like sitting in a sofa and wach a DVD of a road movie. You totally get loss of a feeling for speed and mass inertia.

HGE Kai

(Have a great evening)