50 Sportabout on next "Fast and Loud"

bobostski

:D Its is entertaining but, with me it stops there sure he three stooges were funny but the kinda stuff--this shop does is just for TV.

Where he gets the money to be such a big shot all of a sudden well its white trash with cash.

Just Say en

I'm sure it will end up on air bags, with a scrap yard GM sourced V8 and 4 speed slushomatic, sporting an atrocious "patina" paint job, disgusting to the point it would make Helen Keller nauseous interior...

Sorry, but that batch of idiots needs to be taken out and shot.

Don't like what these guys do to the cars they get or on "Counting Cars". Both kind of loud and in your face and phony reality TV.  A lot of nice cars get bastardized as far as I am concerned. No, I am not swearing as I have used the word appropriately.

I think the show is simply a joke....They buy a car, and they claim they have 2 weeks or whatever to have it ready for auction, even though it needs MAJOR work. Stop and think about it. If you considered all the time, and work it took to get YOUR car roadworthy, just imagine the shortcuts and half-a$$ed work they must put into these cars to have them ready for their "deadline". I don't care how good these guys are, I'd bet a very thorough inspection of the car when they are finished with it would be a real eye-opener, and result in buyer's remorse.

Wayne

• Like 3

The Sweptline they butchered is already deceased. ... Great discussion about that truck on the relevant internet boards. The build quality was so bad that it unsafe to operate.

I missed that, but I can believe it.

The people I know personally who are the biggest "Fast N' Loud" fans are "car people," but the sort that leave my dad's 1969 Mercedes outside while never getting around to doing the work they've been hired for.

• Like 1

A question for the experts. In the real world what would this car be worth?  Did he sell it for market?

I believe the price is high for the open market. But this car has bragging rights as it was featured on this TV drama show and that drives the price up.  

Personally I would rather brag that my car has never been monkeyed with.

There is a 50 here abouts that has had a for sale sign in it when ever seen.  It is much nicer that the one above, I believe the number is 14K.  It is still for sale as of the late September show I saw it at.  The seat in that one looks cheesy and it looks like it is sitting on wooden blocks.  did any one catch the episode where it was featured?

A question for the experts. In the real world what would this car be worth?  Did he sell it for market?

A couple of days ago I posted a nicer one (a 1951) for over $2,000 less ($9,250) in the External Site Referrals section here.

I think the Iowa car is cleaner, a much better color combo, and undeniably a better buy. I'd argue it's undervalued considering the Hagerty Insurance valuations I list at the other post, which includes a $19,000 estimate for a No. 3 driver, which this 1951 for sale would seem to easily be. The 1950s are valued slightly less, but only slightly.

By Hagerty standards the Gas Monkey car would probably be closer to a No. 4 car and maybe worth around $12,000. So they got close to full value for it. And again, if you ever thought you wanted one, the car I posted in Iowa would be hard to beat for the price.

I often question whether the prices stated for cars on these "reality" shows are legit. I've wondered whether they weren't jiggered a bit to make sure the show's protagonists don't look like idiots who speculated poorly. ... Just like a lot of dealerships engage in "creative financing" to get a deal done: "We'll tell the bank you paid $22,500 with $5,000 down, when you really paid $18,000 with $500 down." ... Either their buyers are sometimes extreme suckers, just want to get on TV and are willing to overpay to do it (a real possibility), or there's some off-camera deal afoot. After all, we've seen the allegations made by former featured personalities on "Storage Wars" that items were planted to turn bad buys into profits, etc.

It's fair to say the high-pressure deadline atmosphere on the car shows is actually a product of emulating house-flipping programs. It makes sense that house-flippers would profit from getting the contractors to finish more quickly. If they don't get that $500,000 SoCal house (probably bought against a line of credit) back on the market soon at $750,000 after renovations, they have carrying costs on the loan. It will cost them more and more every month the longer it goes without being finished and selling. ... Certainly rushing can lead to problems with the work quality, but I see the financial motivation behind it.

In the car business, the only reason to rush the job is to quickly turn a profit on a pig just for adding lipstick. With a classic car restoration, the more time you spend and the better job you do, typically the more you can charge. This doesn't mean you can spend any amount of time and money and expect full return; there is a limit. But it's essentially true, especially if you aren't doing the work on contract for a customer who wants his dadgum car back. Just do the job right and set a fair price. If you bought the car right and fixed it right, you should be able to sell it right. ... All this "We gotta get this car done TODAY so we can sell it TOMORROW" is purely made for TV B.S.

Edited by GlennCraven
  • Like 1

"All this "We gotta get this car done TODAY so we can sell it TOMORROW" is purely made for TV B.S."

Not necessarily.  Many (if not most) dealers are financed by lending institutions ('floor planning') so they're in the same situation as house flippers...the quicker it sells the less it costs.

I don't mind watching it, but I see it as a comedy that has a lot of cars in the story. Nothing more/less.

A friend recently remarked when we talked about his 72 Buick Skylark Vert. He's owned since the late 70's, rustfree driver, rebuilt engine trans, body and paint, newer interior 20's (which suck).

The point being when discussing prices of various brands, I told him about a nice looking driver very clean 49 Ply. vert sold for 13k after about 6 mo. of ads in many places, and said he'd love to own own one in that condition and price. Anyone seen such a car, preferably west coast as the other 49 was??

Doug

"All this "We gotta get this car done TODAY so we can sell it TOMORROW" is purely made for TV B.S."

Not necessarily.  Many (if not most) dealers are financed by lending institutions ('floor planning') so they're in the same situation as house flippers...the quicker it sells the less it costs.

Absolutely new car dealers operate that way, and probably traditional used car dealers. Everything on the sales floor is basically bought on credit, so if you don't sign the papers and take over payments, so to speak, they're stuck footing the bill for longer and longer. This is why a buyer should (but doesn't always, in my experience) get a better deal on something that's been sitting there awhile.

I'd think you would be seriously pushing your luck to borrow a large sum to finance the purchase vehicles in need of serious restoration, intending to rip through the work in no time and quickly roll the car back over the curb, as we used to say in new car sales.

But maybe some of these operations do just that. I've been wrong before.