Homemade Ammco 1750 gauge

1948dodge

8-20-2006047.jpg[/img]

8-20-2006048.jpg[/img]

I made this at work. It works excellent. I have a taper bushing made to fit the spindle, and using the nut to keep pressure on the gauge. I can spin the gauge around and adjust withen a few thousands. I then use outside calipers

to compare the brake drum with the brake shoes.

• Like 1

That is slicker than whale snot. But in all my 50 + years, I have never figured out how to use a dial indicator. I have had it explained several times but it kinda like splainin the Infield Fly Rule. I know it exists, and I know it works but makes no sense.

I really think the dial indicator is a little overkill. The home made gauge I had(let it go with the '51 DeSoto when I sold it) just had a sliding finger on a piece of round rod. But, oh well, let the techno wienies rule. I bet it was fun making this thing!

Bob

To make that set up a little easier would be to use a mag base and a flat bar made of steel. The mag base come with rods so you can just place the base on the steel flat bar and not haft to do all that other drilling. For you guys that don't know what a mag base is? its just a magnet with a flexible post that you can attach a dial indicator too. I have had lots of experience with the use of such items used to align various type of coupling on high speed pumps. I will post a picture to show you one of thies items.Jon

Ok here is a dial indicator and Its all set up on the mag base. I don't know if you could just put it on the axle without that flat bar but anyway this is just about the easiest way to make up a jig to make a sweep of the shoes for fitness. Jon

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/MagBase.jpg

Thanks for the input, as a long time lurker this Web site is the best. I don't

really have any instructions to give anybody. This was a little trial and error at first. The gauge can be found at Harbor Freight or machine shop stuff on Ebay. I rotate the gauge to zero and had the brakes adjusted with in a few minutes. Later this week I'll try to post some dimensions.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

There are instructions on the main page of the old forum (I believe it it still available) to make such a tool using a flangette and an "off the shelf" bearing. I bought the flangettes and the bearing but never made the tool as I converted to disc brakes.

flangette.jpg

62ms.jpg

Sorry to bump this old post but I am getting ready to replace the brakes on my P8. Ive been reading about aligning brake shoes and checking drums for fit, something I did  not expect. Cant seem to find the Ammco 1750 so I have been coming across homemade versions of the tool. Seems I may be making my own tool so I have been trying to figure out which one may work the best. The one at the top suing the dial indicator is surely a great idea. This one here submitted by Don using the flange, bushings and bearing I have come across twice and still not been able to find the directions.

Does anyone have a link or directions on how to assemble this tool? Or even any other ideas on homemade Ammco 1750 brake gage? Im going to need it.

Thanks, I have read that article. In fact its what pointed me to looking for the Ammco tool. I did look for the Plymouths club bulletin to see what kind of tool they had come up with but found out they want to sell an entire archive of bulletins on disc for about $35 apiece.

I will be referencing the tech article when I start this brake job. But I would like to secure or build a brake gauge before I get started taking stuff apart. I have already swapped out the brake lines, Ive got 4 NOS brake drums and just ordered new wheel cylinders and shoes from Andy Berbaum. Didn't have the master cylinder in stock so may have to wait a couple weeks on that.

Hey Greg, yes I had found that. Its definitely something to consider although right now I am leaning towards the dial indicator w/flatbar. There is also one made of PVC that looked like it worked pretty well.

Right now I am leaning towards the dial indicator w/flatbar thing, seems like it would be more accurate. I would still like to see the article Don is referring to. I looked under the Technical archives and resources and cannot find the article.

Just curious how that one was made, or if anyone else has come up with a tool.

Seems the Ammco 1750 is going to be very difficult to find.

Hey Greg, yes I had found that. Its definitely something to consider although right now I am leaning towards the dial indicator w/flatbar. There is also one made of PVC that looked like it worked pretty well.

Right now I am leaning towards the dial indicator w/flatbar thing, seems like it would be more accurate. I would still like to see the article Don is referring to. I looked under the Technical archives and resources and cannot find the article.

Just curious how that one was made, or if anyone else has come up with a tool.

Seems the Ammco 1750 is going to be very difficult to find.

Lloyd:  The Ammco 1750 is not hard to find. Several members of the club already have them.  As many of the current club members know i have the Ammco 1750 gage and also the Miller MT19 factory Brake tool with 7 sleeves.

I loan out the Ammco 1750 gage because it is lighter to ship and and is easier to use.

If you need to borrow the tool to do a brake job then contact me.  Basically the cost to use the tool is the cost of shipping the tool both directions versus making a tool.

Contact me.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I still have these parts with no plans to use them. If you are interested send me a PM with your offer. They are just taking up space in my toolbox.

Hey Don, I was hoping you would weigh in. I could be interested in the parts, but need to see the instructions for assembling the tool. Would you still have the link to that post?

desoto1939, on 02 Sept 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Lloyd:  The Ammco 1750 is not hard to find. Several members of the club already have them.  As many of the current club members know i have the Ammco 1750 gage and also the Miller MT19 factory Brake tool with 7 sleeves.

I loan out the Ammco 1750 gage because it is lighter to ship and and is easier to use.

If you need to borrow the tool to do a brake job then contact me.  Basically the cost to use the tool is the cost of shipping the tool both directions versus making a tool.

Contact me.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

maybe it would be good to include a link to the club so the man can search/inquire there about the tool...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams