heater core model 62 truck master

gramps1951

my 1951 b3b has a model 62 truck master heater  box in it I was wondering where you guys have found  heater cores  for them mine is not leaking but I know it must be time for a replacement  sometime soon. thanks for any info. neil

I cant remember the name of the place but the shop that supplied a new core for Dads 66 fury with AC also recores vintage heaters. They had my mopar model 36 pictured on their site. If they can core that one they should be able to do yours. The 36 is a horseshoe shaped core.

Edit found the place http://www.classicheaters.com/

towards the bottom there are samples and one is the U shaped core its listed for early mopars.

Edited by Young Ed

I think we're pretty lucky that these systems aren't pressurized which may have contributed to the longevity of these units.  I've pulled a couple of cores out of parts trucks and neither showed any signs of leakage.   Gonna knock on wood now-hope I haven't jinxed myself. 

my 1951 b3b has a model 62 truck master heater  box in it I was wondering where you guys have found  heater cores  for them mine is not leaking but I know it must be time for a replacement  sometime soon. thanks for any info. neil

Do you know if it left the factory with that model 62 Truck Master?  I'd like to see pictures of it if possible.

Thanks, 

Hank  :)

gramps it would be correct for these years of trucks.

Hank I don't know if the factory ever actually installed these accessories or if the dealer always did it.  

MBFowler I've pulled 5 and all of them have been solid w/ no leaks.

Do you know if it left the factory with that model 62 Truck Master?  I'd like to see pictures of it if possible.

Thanks, 

Hey Hank;

Not sure what you are looking for but the knockouts in the firewall pretty much determine the placement of any of this series heaters. I put a Model 65 with the fresh air kit in my truck and it was a very easy install. Fit's like it was there from day one.

Jeff

Hey Hank;

Not sure what you are looking for but the knockouts in the firewall pretty much determine the placement of any of this series heaters. I put a Model 65 with the fresh air kit in my truck and it was a very easy install. Fit's like it was there from day one.

Jeff

You sort of breezed through that one Jeff (fresh air kit pun intended).

I'm still waiting for a nice picture of the install!   :)

Ok...Ok....I will get some pictures this weekend. :rolleyes: Geeesh. They all kinda look the same don't they? :) What I was trying to say to Hank was that it really only fits together one way. And that it really fits nice.

I did make some mods though......a couple of little sheetmetal doors to blank off the screened side vents. This helps to increase the airflow to the defroster ducts when needed. With the defroster function in the off position that little cable operated door is open and it blasts into the cab with the fan on high! I am sure my wife will like it.....she has had cold feet ever since she met me. :eek:

Jeff

• Like 1

Ok...Ok....I will get some pictures this weekend. :rolleyes: Geeesh. They all kinda look the same don't they? :) What I was trying to say to Hank was that it really only fits together one way. And that it really fits nice.

I did make some mods though......a couple of little sheetmetal doors to blank off the screened side vents. This helps to increase the airflow to the defroster ducts when needed. With the defroster function in the off position that little cable operated door is open and it blasts into the cab with the fan on high! I am sure my wife will like it.....she has had cold feet ever since she met me. :eek:

Jeff

Last part made me LOL,

Hank  :D

Last part made me LOL,

Hank  :D

Well it was supposed to. ;)Even if it is literally true........

Hank; As far as I can tell these heaters are pretty much bulletproof and they fit into the cab very nicely. I actually did a full test on mine for the first time last week. I like it. It really cranks! And having another source of fresh air is pretty nice. For what it is worth I think the cabs look kinda naked without one too. If you are thinking of putting one in I am happy to walk you through what I did.

Jeff

I have a heater but it's in un-restored shape.  I'm not sure just what it came out of but it's not square. I probably shoul find out (it may be a Mopar car heater) what it is sell it and see if I can find the correct heater for my 51.  You did a great job on yours Jeff I was watching and thanks for the offer.

Edited by HanksB3B

I've been gathering the stuff together to make "The Brick" street legal and cruiser like (cuz Jim Shepard has guilt me into it..lol). One of the parts I have on the bench is the 65. Has anyone posted the different models and/or years for them? I haven't done a search, but the thread here made me wonder.

48D  

Tim;

I did come across a brochure or pamplet that seemed to indicate that the 62 and 65 (and at least one other model) were in production at the same time and were more or less interchangable in this application. Each one has slightly different features but the mounting arrangement is the same.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I found a Model 61 on EBay. The design is pretty much the same as 62 and 65 except that the defrost ducts exit the unit at the top of the driver's side. I'm restoring it to install in my 52B3B. Just checked the motor and switch out successfully and have it apart. Not sure I'll beat tithe cold, though.

Here's how the stock hoses are on mine...

fl1_zps8edf65dc.jpg

Rear cylinder head gets the upper hose, shut off valve on top of water pump gets the lower hose.

Heater has been in the truck since it was brand new or shortly there after. I'll call my Dad, he still has the original paperwork on it (and original title) as it was HIS Dad's truck...

I KNOW I have a shot showing the heater itself. Can't find it right now, I REALLY hate photobucket... No idea what model the heater is, if it works, etc. Haven't run it since 1994.