Battery switch

Hi Guy's;

I have been considering adding a battery disconnect switch to my truck. I like the idea of a little extra security that one of these provides.

Have any of you added one? What have you done?

A few years ago I added one that had a remote fob to my daughters car. Not sure what the brand was?.....but it worked great. It just mounted on the battery and the cable went to it. I know it was 12V but if they made a 6V one I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I have searched but can't seem to nd one like it.

Jeff

I have seen several variations on the poor man's security system on some vintage vehicles.  There are battery disconnects that mount to the battery terminal and employ a knife switch to interrupt the circuit...I tried to install one once but had clearance issues with the battery cell caps & frame.  I have seen quite a few master kill switches mounted under the hood near the starter...they were simple heavy duty rotary switches, some were heavy duty toggle switches, that could be reached after popping the hood.  Then there are the ignition kill switches that can be hidden under the dash.  A simple toggle switch interrupting the AMP gauge circuit could do the trick...maybe that's how Biff Tannen kept folks from taking a joyride in his Ford   :cool:

I have seen a problem with these on 6 volt systems where the switch didn't have sufficient contact area to carry the full amperage load.

When I tried to start with the switch on and in circuit the starter acted like the battery was down. Removed the switch and everything was back to normal. 

Point being make sure you get one designed to work with 6 volt systems.  

• Like 1

I use the cheapy green knobbed disconnect  on everything old.  They work fine on 12v systems.  For the 2.5 ton, if I leave it 6 volt I'm going to use a heavy duty rotary switch.  I don't put any of this old stuff in a garage w/o disconnecting the batt.  Yea, its a pain in the butt to disconnect it every time you park it, but its a lot easier than repairing or replacing a vehicle or a garage. 

Edited by MBFowler

I run a 6V Optima battery in my 52 truck. I have often thought that I should install a battery disconnect but was also unsure whether an appropriate one is made.

I was disconnecting the battery a while back and the battery lead made contact with the wing-nut holding the battery hold-down frame in place. The electrical short that resulted caused great concern (and a nice burn mark on my fingers). I just leave my battery connected these days and try to drive the truck more often!

Point taken. It definitely needs to be up to 6V service.

Perhaps a quality marine grade item like a Perko? I will have to do some more research and report back.

Davin; It is all too easy for a short like you described to happen. I really like the idea of this sort of switch. Not just for a bit of security. It makes it real easy to isolate the system when you need to work on something too.

Jeff

Find a switch rated for 6v...they are out there, and being used by vintage auto builders. Not sure you really need one, but I understand question. I would prefer an ignition swith for just anti theft.

colehersee.com

The battery switch is important for a few things in racing......it has to be placed next to the driver (along with a fuel shut off), so if you have an issue with the car you can safely, and remotely disconnect the battery. A green twist knob isn't helpful in that case. Infact if you are having troubles, that dang knob melts..... ^_^

48D  

They have a version with a key too, if you want some anti-theft protection. http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/208/2484-02/

You should be able to get these at Napa. Their website shows similar switches listed at 125A, but I'm thinking that's the continous rating. As you can see from the Cole Hersee site, they have an Intermittent rating that is 4-5 times higher. These would be plenty high for your truck.  

You could mount it down on the inner fender panel, near the starter. That way you could probably just reroute the battery cable, that goes to your starter, over to the switch, then make a new short cable to go from the switch to the starter.

Merle;

I do like the idea of a lockable switch. That feature does offer another level of protection for very little cost.

Not exactly sure where to mount it but the flange under the seat might work if there is enough clearance and a good way to route the cables. It would be real nice to have it within reach without getting out of the cab. I was thinking I would put it on the ground lead to the transmission. 

I think what really appeals to me is having a very convienient way to isolate the electrical system. If it is easier to use than a wrench then it will most likely get used a lot. To me it is as much a peace of mind thing as it is a form of anti-theft device.

Jeff

In a few cases...the starter pedal on the floor is the anti theft device.......lol.

48D

Definitely! That and the choke and dash throttle, unlabeled in my car, that have to be set "just so" based on ambient and engine temperature to get it started.

I don't go around turning off the circuit breakers to rooms in my house I am not in just to be safe. And I see no reason to put a master switch on the battery for the same reason. If your electrical system is in proper shape it is safe. If it isn't then fix it. Having a master switch won't help you when the car starts to burn because of an electrical problem, it just means it is more likely to happen when you are driving it.

• Like 1

A guy at our local Friday Auto Show showed up with a box of Porsche kill switches and announced come and get them.  I only took one.  Others took more than a few. They have a big plastic generic key. I used it in my BMW only because it leaks current and by shutting it off if I don't use it for a week or so it still fires right up not so much without the kill switch. Foot starter or not any deterrent (the more the better) is a good idea.

Hank  :)

This reminds me of the first time I took the '48 for a state inspection.  The inspector (a kid actually) made a disapproving face as he got in that old beast, then made an even more disapproving face when I had to stop him from twisting the key off in the ignition (the key is still twisted btw).  When I pointed out the usage of that fourth pedal, he scoffed, and rather than let me start it for him, he stomped on the starter and it fired up...he then threw the stick all the way up and nearly backed into the car that had pulled up behind him.  For subsequent inspections, I would start the truck for the inspector and remind him where 1st gear was  :cool:

Flaming river is the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland. This river has caught on fire several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmjTG8NLuw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River

At least 13 fires have been reported on the Cuyahoga River, the first occurring in 1868.[12] The largest river fire in 1952 caused over $1 million in damage to boats and a riverfront office building.[13] Fires erupted on the river several times between the 1952 fire and June 22, 1969, when a river fire that day captured the attention of Time magazine, which described the Cuyahoga as the river that "oozes rather than flows" and in which a person "does not drown but decays".[14] The fire did eventually spark major changes as well as the article from Time, but in the immediate aftermath very little attention was given to the incident. Furthermore, the conflagration that sparked Time's outrage was in June 1969, but the pictures they displayed on the cover and as part of the article were from the much more dangerous 1952 fire. No pictures from the 1969 fire are known to exist.