Horn Button Parts

BobB
Go to solution Solved by BobB,

After looking for a while, I've found a horn ring/button that's mostly flat and has a good shine.

when preparing to install, I discovered that I'll need one or two additional parts that I haven't seen offered.

I'm missing the lower plate (the one that mounts to the wheel and has the fingers to hold the ring in place). according to the parts manual on the DPETCA site, it's part number 657953. 8-33-65 (lower one) on the illustration.

According to the list, it doesn't appear that a 52 1/2 ton would use the lower spring, but I can't figure out why not. If needed, the spring would be part number B1390694 or 657954. 8-33-30 on the illustration.

does anyone know a source for these parts and/or know if the spring is needed for a 52 1/2 ton B3?

Thanks so much for your help

Bob

Bob, I took the horn ring off my parts truck awhile ago.  I'm familar with the plate your referencing, but I'm pretty sure that there was a spring under the ring.  There has to be something to push the horn ring back up against the fingers or the horn would be continuously blowing.  I'm wondering if the center button type horn button and the ring type used a different spring.  I'm sure someone here will jump in that has done this more recently than I have.  Mike

I was looking through my parts books, and it appears ya found one of the goofs in this manual.  The horn button has the spring for the electrical contact, and the other spring keeps the contact plate against the lock ring plate that is held to the steering tube with the steering wheel nut.  Occasionally these parts will pop up from time to time on eBay, ya might could get one from VPW but ya might want to verify that it's not for a Power Wagon as some of those horn buttons were different.

One option is to take the horn ring, grind off what's left of the spokes, fill the exposed notches with an epoxy, shape/scuff the surface to get the plating blisters smoothed off, maybe use an etching primer, then paint the horn ring black, white, school bus yellow, or whatever :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

Have you tried a search on 'horn button' (top right in the brown section of your screen) Bob? We discussed them at length not long ago. You may find plenty of photos which will help you out by checking those old posts.

Check your 'Personal Messenger' box too Bob as I sent you a PM.

post-3915-0-06255400-1382934627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

• Solution

Be prepared to start waving at a lot of strangers.  The ones with a horn ring will understand what I mean.

I understand, but it's OK. I live in the country and we wave at everybody 'round here.