"the steep learning curve " 39 dodge sedan !

sig

yep I know, I´m sure when it finally arrives I´ll find loads of numbers, but these guys are in a warehouse shipping cars I don´t suppose they like the idea of getting too dirty!

oh my ! that is a thing of beauty mr wolf!  liking the ride height with those wheels also...whats the roof height from the floor approx??

hijack as much as you want mate !, I´d actually like to see more pix of your machine!, its good for inspiration purposes, has it still got the original flatty? if so how do you manage with motorway traffic?

cheers sig

Its has a 350Gm 4 bolt crank 600 cfm Holley

With thumper cam

Th350 Gearbox

Rear steer Rack&Pinion

1968 Mustang 3.00 8" Back axle

I imported it November last year and soon found that it needs some work to make it what I would consider safe to drive.

First up was the rack which only had 41/2 of travel

I have modified this to five 61/2 of travel

The bracket holding the rack in place fell apart after a couple of hammer blows.

Needless to say that's also been sorted.

Next up is the shock relocation I have the shocks I am going to use I'am just waiting for the F1 shock mounts to a arrive.

I could just fit a M2 front clip but the chassis design is strong and takes a lot of beating (if its not broken then don't fix it.)

Here are a couple of pics

super slick mate. love it..its gonna be a long time till mine is at that level!

on that subject....and I quote......" the dodge left the US on saturday January 17th ".....YYYEEEESSSSSS! AT LAST!

spainward bound :D  :D  :D

Hi Sig - if you can, find out what dock/pier the cars arrive at. Ask around there, find the union boss or whatever and bring him a couple of 10 or 20 euro notes - or beer perhaps - and say there is more to come if your cars are not damaged in the unloading.

You want to try to get someone there to take some extra care with your cars so they don't push them around with forklifts, etc. I know some horror stories from US ports and I doubt Barc is any different.

yep I guess I´d better prepare myself for the spain end of this story now!!. its transported in a container and insured, but I doubt very much I´m allowed anywhere near the port (which is huge ) until they ring me!..but yes i will be on my guard for nonsense. <_<

yeah weirdly all the papers are supposed to go either with the car or with the transporters!, I ´havent seen or recieved anything yet apart from bills!..it could be a massive dream :D

• 3 weeks later...

very impatiently waiting for customs nonsense mate ! its in valencia..for no apparent reason as I said it had to go to Barcelona from the beginning. but I think they´re on the case!

also the spanish forums are saying its gonna be very difficult getting the jaguar engine through the net !...I´ll probably have to go the safe way with all original stuff until it has documentation...which actually is fine I´m looking forward to getting the flattie running

hopefully it´ll clear customs this next week! ???????

I think its best to keep it simple Build the car as standard as possible upgrade when you have no other option that way you should have it on the much quicker.

If you make it over complicated then most people lose interest and sell the projects before they are finished

guess whos a happy camper !!! :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

went to get the dodge today from barcelona after pàying the import bills and everything else they threw at me!, the car is totally knackered......but is utterly awesome also!!!, it is much more beautiful (apart from the rust etc ) than fotos show it to me, the curves and lines are lovely, the door details are amazing and the interior space is enormous and just feels good (despite being in tattersI), its weird....the car is probably in worse condition than I expected but has a really nice feel to it that I can´t describe.

the floors are useless, most of the trim is there, the air heater and rear light glasses are in a box with the rear wings etc.

the chassis has loads of rust, the front crossmember is rotted and needs work, the wheels rotate, and the engine turns by hand.

its funny when I arrived at the import place, there where a load of cool classics an old impeccable MG, a 70´s porsche, and a load of bmw´s, and then hiding on the other side of a load of oil barrels they put my rusty old wreck!.

it had to be forklifted to the exit and then winched onto the truck, (mainly because of the shredded rear tyre)

as luck would have it the stud pattern is the same as vintage mercedes, as as I have a load of extra wheels for the fintail I swapped them over at home to make pushing easier.

also a big discovery is that it used to be yellow !..I´m thinking that it was probably a ny cab. ? where they all yellow or black and yellow? I´d seen a pic somewhere.

anyway, it was dark when we got it pushed in so more pix and discoveries tomorrow

heres the stuff from today

IMG_7783_zps2bdda6e3.jpg

IMG_7767_zps741146c4.jpgIMG_7797_zpsa2839be6.jpgIMG_7800_zpscb6fa109.jpgIMG_7790_zps4585cc69.jpgIMG_7788_zps50e29b76.jpg

not a bad idea, ! but I think the fuel injection might give the game away!!! :P

so straight to it, grinding down all the sharp edges (rotted drip rail, flaky paint etc), it definitely used to be yellow all over, which means it probably has millions of miles on the clock !!..oh well..its nice to know some history.

floor cut out and boot. I left the rear seat in for the moment because I like sitting in it !

first job will be reinforce and reconstruct the door sills and the joints to the a and b pillars. I´d like to do a subtle channeling while I´m at it like 6cm or something..take the bottom of the sills down to the bottom of the chassis level...just because I may as well., then seperate the top from the bottom and sort out and box the chassis and cross members. at least this is the plan at the moment.

I´m amazed at the quality of the steel, it ages more like cast iron rather than sheet steel, and the chrome on the bumper was way thicker than anything they do today.

some pix

IMG_7830_zpsf3772daf.jpgIMG_7832_zps7b890ae5.jpgIMG_7831_zps8cbec67a.jpgIMG_7834_zps83a507b6.jpgIMG_7833_zps0a2536ea.jpgIMG_7829_zps2c81dff6.jpg

You are going to love those horns. Especially after you hook them up to a 12 battery.

BTW,it really doesn't look that bad,other than the chrome pot metal,which always looks bad. Mopars were historically better engineered cars than GM or Fords,but they had the worse chrome and plastic in the world.