"the steep learning curve " 39 dodge sedan !

sig

In August 1942, the Royal Air Force (RAF) began a program to re-engine just five Mustang airframes with the improved Merlin 65. They were designated the Mustang X. The first flight came on Oct. 13, 1942, with Capt. R.T. Shepherd, Rolls-Royce chief test pilot, at the controls. Trials were completed at the end of December. The re-engined fighter’s performance, especially at high altitude, was spectacular. But the RAF could not proceed with the project because Rolls-Royce’s Merlin production was already allocated to Spitfires, Lancasters, and Mosquitos.

Here are the pictures of the original door panels on my 1939 Desoto that has the lower section covered in Hogs hair and also the foot rest on the back of the front seat.

the file is too large to upload but if you send me you home email then I can attach and send to you.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

ok so the riverside show near barcelona is this weekend, and this is about as far as I can go with the cars before then  (without going mad !),, quite pleased with the progress although as yet the details don´t bear close scrutiny, lots still to do when I can concentrate and relax a bit more

IMG_8659_zps83233efc.jpg

IMG_8655_zps65e4fc13.jpg

IMG_8646_zps74598f2f.jpg

IMG_8660_zps8e041d5b.jpg

IMG_8652_zps031449a1.jpg

IMG_8626_zps204a9492.jpg

IMG_8633_zpsb5c0237d.jpg

http://riversidecarshow.blogspot.com.es/2011/11/riverside-crazy-car-hop-7_30.html

Well done SIG

looks good have you done some test drives yet?

I wish !. the carb kind of decided to leak everywhere due to the modern fuels etc I expect. first thing I´ll do after the show is order a new fuel pump and a carb kit and get it running again..then onto brakes....to be honest I need a test drive soon before going much further with suspension design..its very low ! and I need to decide what I´m gonna do with the broken rear leaf springs..fix , 4 point or jag irs ??

by the way thanks all for the info on the merlin engine all good stuff I used to make scratchbuilt 1:6 models before this car lark!

• 2 weeks later...

wow what a weekend!..I really should get out more..I´m just about getting back into normal life again after taking the 2 cars down on the trailers. nothing terrible happened, the bodywork didnt fall off either and all was well..when we arrived at the hotel all the slick  hotrods from france were lined up outside and we trundled past with the dirty bomb and the old patinad ford. we were kind of feeling a bit out of our depth at that point. whilst everyone was polishing their hubcaps I was reattching the exhaust pipe ( with had dropped off!!!)

despite that everyone was great and the cars were welcomed generously, even liked !. I got to know some of the faces on the scene and enjoyed a some eye candy at all the pinups wandering around. the drag racing was ace also...next year I´ll be driving the car and I´ll be entering it in the (albeit slow ) drag race  :D

the ford got some pinstriping done while it was there..also check out the official video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bb9nk_nGVk&feature=youtu.be

10353002_10203734426900966_4614769517843IMG_8665_zpsd7a3e9af.jpgIMG_8716_zpsa4e0067f.jpgIMG_8726_zpsd4d835e7.jpg

I'm really stoked over the effort you've put into these. I'll bet they both drew a lot of attention.

I'm sure your model did. ;D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

still here !!! the dodge is resting for the moment, the rear axle I replaced with a nissan patrol unit for the faster diff and the new leaf springs (which need adapting as it sits way too high now)

the delay has been due to an surprise involving a model A . basically  a guy swapped my lambretta for a rotten model A body...this has kept me busy..the jag motor now is going in there as a hot rod so I´ll keep the flatty in the dodge which I´m happy about..too nice a noise to take it out.

more news soon I hope

cheers sig

hahahah ! the car got photographed tons of times at the show back in may...its now getting blogged and thrown around which is nice

heres the link

http://hotrodbizarre.tumblr.com/post/85915499976

I love that old gray color with the icons. AND the survival upholstery, great work. Yes, just keep that flathead, it'l draw more interest than the other. What, if anything, did you do to the body, to the paint?

I'm JEALOUS. You and I are leading the way of the past into the future, leadership always stands up first then out!

cheers mate. the grey is just aparejo..err...filler primer I think you´d call it..rubbed down and left dusty, on top of anti rust primer and on top of bare metal and repairs, rear wings welded on, no other changes really apart from the channeling, still tons to do, and yes the flatty is staying

rear suspension now swings well, took 2 leaves out of the nissan rear to make it softer and had to lengthen and slightly change the angle of the rear part of the chassis to accomodate but it now fits better.

when I get a chance I need to get the carb kit ordered and the new fuel pump to get her heart beating again

cheers sig

• 2 months later...

small update...the hotrod is out to get the jaguar electrics sorted, soooooo, the dodge has gone inside the workshop and I plan to get the floor finished and the fuel tank in, now the rear suspension is all sorted..will be ordering the carb kit and new pump soon also so I can hear it working again.miss that sound

IMG_0034_zps13b5c6e4.jpgIMG_0020_zps79f5eef0.jpg