Anyone ever see a D14 or D17 painted like this?....PICS.....

frankieflathead

Note that this idea was the suggestion of Sally Millgrim, a NY fashion designer. Her ideas evidently did not catch the attention of the manufacturers. I would guess to do such on an assembly line would not be that easy to coordinate. However if only the fenders were painted a 2nd color or tone such as with a duo of grays, it might look quite nice. 

I haven't seen that combination but I have seen a 2-tone '40 in light and dark green (colour split along the beltline). I have a factory photo of a '40 in two-tone. The photo is in black/white but the top is lighter than the bottom (split along the belt line with the hood and trunk the darker colour).

Phil

Didn't Dodge have a 3 tone car in the 50s. I seem to remember. I've never seen those pictured above though.

Dodge had many 3 tone cars in 55-56 and maybe after that. The 55 I had was pink black and white and there were something crazy like 75 possible color combinations between 1 2 and 3 tones and then how they were arranged on the car.

Gay Admiral Blue with Sober Patrol Blue? Where do they come up with these names?

And here I was thinking that would totally be my choice of color combo: Gay Admiral Blue with Sober Patrol Blue.

Didn't Dodge have a 3 tone car in the 50s. I seem to remember. I've never seen those pictured above though.

I dunno about Dodge, but DeSoto sure did. The 1955 Fireflite Coronado was only available in three-tone, and only in three specific colors: Coronado Green, Black and Surf White.

Mind you, the buyer could specify any combination of those three colors: Black roof, Coronado Green body, Surf White spear pictured first below, etc. But you WERE going to take all three colors, and no substitutions allowed.

These are gorgeous and still very affordable cars, with Hagerty Insurance valuing them at $16,500 to $22,000 in No. 2 to No. 1 show condition. ... Among the many makes and models on my wish list, but near the top.

1955-dodge-fireflite-coronado.jpg

4671216796_6506d762e8_z.jpg

2502635045_bd79072f76_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by GlennCraven
  • Like 1

Gents,

I had the same car as Ed with the smallest V-8 (230?) I ever saw before Buick came out with a 228 in an aluminum block.

-Randy

The v8 in my 55 was a 270CI hemi. I think the poly version was still 270CI. That same block was 241 the year before.

And here I was thinking that would totally be my choice of color combo: Gay Admiral Blue with Sober Patrol Blue.

I dunno about Dodge, but DeSoto sure did. The 1955 Fireflite Coronado was only available in three-tone, and only in three specific colors: Coronado Green, Black and Surf White.

Mind you, the buyer could specify any combination of those three colors: Black roof, Coronado Green body, Surf White spear pictured first below, etc. But you WERE going to take all three colors, and no substitutions allowed.

These are gorgeous and still very affordable cars, with Hagerty Insurance valuing them at $16,500 to $22,000 in No. 2 to No. 1 show condition. ... Among the many makes and models on my wish list, but near the top.

If I had some spare money and space I'd be looking at this gem.....

00Z0Z_1kVDWWQhKwN_600x450.jpg

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/4143787982.html

• Like 2

If I had some spare money and space I'd be looking at this gem.....

I'm still kinda kicking myself over the '55 Fireflite with no engine/trans, though if it weren't for my frame problems I wouldn't feel so bad.

Many moons ago I owned a 1957 DeSoto Firesweep 4 door hardtop with paint code 111 meaning it was a sweep delete single color car....which while may seem normal was actually a rarity back then. You actually had to special order the car with the "sweep delete" and single color body and roof. All of my other 57s all had the sweep and either 2 tone or 3 tone paint.

I think I would rather have hetero blue and drunken patrol blue...that's just me...

However if only the fenders were painted a 2nd color or tone such as with a duo of grays, it might look quite nice. 

It would certainly be an improvement, and I've seen a few fat fender cars of various makes done that way. It's doing the hood and nose in the second color that doesn't work for me. But I've never seen one like this "in the flesh."

Edited by frankieflathead

I haven't seen that combination but I have seen a 2-tone '40 in light and dark green (colour split along the beltline). I have a factory photo of a '40 in two-tone. The photo is in black/white but the top is lighter than the bottom (split along the belt line with the hood and trunk the darker colour).

Phil

Seems like that's more common and more attractive, in my opinion. Splitting the colors that way makes the a car look longer, something our slightly frumpy friends can definitely benefit from. And aside from aesthetics, a lighter color on the roof also doesn't absorb the heat of the sun as much as a darker shade and will keep a car marginally cooler in warmer climes.

As Glenn said, DeSoto offered Tri-Tones as did Dodge in '55.....

1955Dodge-03.jpg

..and '56.....

1956DodgeFullLineFolder-04.jpg

Chrysler did in '56 on their fabulous New Yorker St. Regis.....

1956ChryslerNewYorkerPrestige-04-05.jpg

..as did Buick.....

1956Buick-07.jpg

Even Studebaker, Packard and Hudson got in on the act, in '55.....

3978461432_2056dfd0f0_o.jpg

.....'56....

4408968477_65b5b561c0_o.jpg

...and '57.....

4-2.jpg

There were probably more, but they slip my mind right now. Colorful times. hey?

Edited by frankieflathead

I am going to go against the prevailing wisdom in the posts above. I quite like the idea and think the different shades look quite good. I would do it to a car that age if I was at the paint stage. I don't like the two tones broken at the belt lines on cars that vintage, but this is kinda cool. 

3-10.jpg

1-10.jpg

2-10.jpg

I am going to go against the prevailing wisdom in the posts above. I quite like the idea and think the different shades look quite good. I would do it to a car that age if I was at the paint stage. I don't like the two tones broken at the belt lines on cars that vintage, but this is kinda cool. 

Regardless of personal taste, it certainly would be interesting to whip out these ads at a car show when someone sez "they never painted 'em like THAT." :D

When I got my 1940 D15 Oz Dodge it had the 2 tone scheme.........faded metallic bronze &  red oxide primer......I tried to polish up some of the faded paint but ended up giving it a full repaint a few yrs later...........lol.........can't find the only pic I had of it from back then.....oh well this is a recent pic......btw does anyone have the chrome molding or strip that's shown on all these 2 tone cars that fits between the upper & lower grilles............it seems to have only been available in the USA and I'd be very keen to find one for my car..............lol............regards, andyd   

post-612-0-71529600-1382693605_thumb.jpg