i need help identifying my plymouth

ssrt88ss
Go to solution Solved by P15-D24,

I'm curious - How can you have a title if there is no serial number?

re: 46-48 vs 49 first series:

I have a 46 4 door, and a 49 2 door.  This may be just a difference associated with the 4 door vs the 2 door, but the foot rest and the lower seat frame is designed differently on the 49 - I'd say that it is built a bit lighter.  (But both of my cars are over 900 miles from where I'm living now, and I haven't been able to do any work on them since the early 80's, so this is long term memory.....)

Neto

The serial number should be on a tag on one of the A Pillars.  The Serial number is the way Chrysler documented and identified a complet and assembled vehicle.  The introduction of the new 1949 Body style was delayed till February/March due to metal shortages incurred during the Korean conflict.  The P15 model was continued into 1949.  Most year models were introduced in Sept Oct.  But as noted above you serial is associated with an 1st series 49 P 15.

Mindful that the serial number lists came from engineering who considered P15 models as '46 through '48 versus marketing who called the ones built or sold in '49 as "first series":

Serial Number: 12108613
Found in range: 11854386 to 12116123
Serial: 254228 of 261738
Year: 1948
Make: Plymouth
Model Name: Special DeLuxe
Model Code: P15C
Plant: Detroit
Engine: 6 cylinder 217.8 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase: 117 inches

Mindful that the serial number lists came from engineering who considered P15 models as '46 through '48 versus marketing who called the ones built or sold in '49 as "first series":

Serial Number: 12108613
Found in range: 11854386 to 12116123
Serial: 254228 of 261738
Year: 1948
Make: Plymouth
Model Name: Special DeLuxe
Model Code: P15C
Plant: Detroit
Engine: 6 cylinder 217.8 cu.in. L-head
Wheelbase: 117 inches

So what Tod is saying, just in case it isn't abundantly clear, is that the earliest P15s sold in 1949 were identical to those sold in 1948. Later in 1949 an updated model was released. Engineering considered identical cars to be '48s, whether sold in '48 or '49. Marketing (and state DMVs) generally considered the car a '48 if it was sold in '48 and a '49 if it was sold in '49.

Per the answers above, you seem to have a P15 sold early in 1949, so it looks like -- and essentially is -- a 1948, but your title isn't wrong.

Much like with Chrysler Windsors and other models, you can find examples "correctly" titled as 1949s that don't look alike -- early carryover '49s vs. the new style. You can see significant differences in the Chrysler Windsors below, but both are titled as 1949s.

158519_10905732_1949_Chrysler_Windsor.jp

1949ChryslerWindsor.jpg

Edited by GlennCraven

Add to that that some states like Pennsylvania, considered new cars registered in a given  year as being of that year regardless of manufacture date.  So an October assembled 46, registered in January of 47 was documented as a 47 since it was still a new (never drive never previously titled) car.